posades

2010 Winter Olympics Thread

I searched around but didn't see a thread about the Winter Olympics. The opening ceremony was yesterday, did anyone have a chance to catch it? I thought it was well done (as long as you didn't compare it to the Chinese opening ceremony which cost a gazillion dollars :tongue: ), even if there was a slight malfunction at the end with the Olympic flame.

I'll admit the winter version of the Olympics doesn't intrigue me as much as its summer counterpart, though I still find myself watching it no matter the sport (heck I even got into curling back in '06 :laugh: ).

For anyone wanting to keep track of who's gotten what:

Medal Tracker

Edited by posades

Yeah, the Winter Olympics! :sweet:

I like the Winter games more than the Summer ones, maybe that's because Sweden is better at the winter sports. :tongue: I'm definitely looking forward to watch a lot of TV the coming weeks (to bad most of the games is in the middle of the night though, didn't watch the opening ceremony because of that. It starded 03:00 here :hmpf: ).

Big gold medal chance for Sweden tonight (morning for Canada?) in the Biathlon sprint with Helena Jonsson. I actually made a small MOC of her, I will upload it soon. :wink:

Edit: Here it is:

hj_001.jpg

Hard to get the position right. :tongue:

Edited by Etzel

I always like watching the Olympics no matter the season, but it's even better since I'm Canadian. Though I feel really bad that a 21 year old died on our tracks, the luge/bobsled course is too fast. Some of them were going 153 km/h, even before he crashed some people said the track was too fast. I was angry when I heard about him :angry:

Edited by Alex the Great

I like the winter olympics,especially skiing/snowboarding, and I plan on watching as much of it as I can.

On anther note I was cracking up when the 4th pillar didn't rise. I think they need to put some maple syrup on the joints to make it go smoothly!

I really liked the Ceremonies. Too bad the 4th pillar didn't come up. I was actually surprised that Wayne Gretzky lit the external torch.

I really liked the Ceremonies. Too bad the 4th pillar didn't come up. I was actually surprised that Wayne Gretzky lit the external torch.

I couldn't stop laughing when the fourth pillar didn't rise , and the look on the people lighting it when they were waiting for them to come up was pretty funny too :classic: . I think they could have done a bit better when they were taking wayne to the external torch . He almost fell in the back of that pickup truck , also it was raining pretty hard too.

The first couple parts of the opening ceremonies i found pretty boring , but it got better once they were finished with all the aboriginal stuff.

I couldn't stop laughing when the fourth pillar didn't rise , and the look on the people lighting it when they were waiting for them to come up was pretty funny too :classic: .

Yeah, Steve Nash's grin was hilarious when they were just standing there akwardly :tongue:

seriously; if the same thing with the pillar happened in Beijing 2 years ago; the guy who designed the mechanism would get killed... i wonder if they ended up raising the final pole.

seriously; if the same thing with the pillar happened in Beijing 2 years ago; the guy who designed the mechanism would get killed... i wonder if they ended up raising the final pole.

Well hopefully he won't get killed, just banned from any other opening ceremony. :tongue:

Is the flame inside going to stay up throughout the games? I would have thought that they would take it down so they could hold events inside BC Place. If it is going ot stay up then I could see them raising the last pillar in the middle of the night when no one is watching. :laugh:

Lots of people at the opening ceremony and very busy here in Vancouver.

I always like watching the Olympics no matter the season, but it's even better since I'm Canadian. Though I feel really bad that a 21 year old died on our tracks, the luge/bobsled course is too fast. Some of them were going 153 km/h, even before he crashed some people said the track was too fast. I was angry when I heard about him :angry:

He flew off the track and hit the wall hard. Paramedics tried to revive him at the scene and then was taking by a helicopter to the medical clinic. Unfortunatley, he died. I feel really sorry for him. I was just watching the video and that track is very fast.

i think that they're gonna take down the cauldron in BC Place... there's another cauldron down by the Vancouver Convention Center that's going to be lit.

Yeah, the ceramony wsas incedible! That's sad what happened to the Geogia luger, though. What was his name again?

That was so funny with Gretzcy riding for who-knows-how-long. He changed the torch THREE TIMES! There's no bedtter of a Canadian ending than a guy soaking wet riding in the back of a pickup

Yeah, Steve Nash's grin was hilarious when they were just standing there akwardly :tongue:

Oh, yeah. But it was funny watching the thing happen "Oh cool! He's lighting the- no, it's her! Okay, so- WHAT? Nash is gonna do it? Okay, okay, so Stievie-needs-a-haircut Nash is light- no? It's her? She's light- Argh! There's Gretzcy now! Me and my sister were guessing what was gonna happen, whether they'd all light it or several other things in the ned we were both right.

Edited by The Legonater

There's no better of a Canadian ending than a guy soaking wet riding in the back of a pickup

That's actually a Vancouver ending. Any where else in Canada and it would be snow instead of rain.

That's actually a Vancouver ending. Any where else in Canada and it would be snow instead of rain.

True. enspecially here in Manisnowba.

Lucky break for Apollo Ohno, he wouldn't have medaled if the the two Korean guys didn't trip over themselves. :oh:

Nice first day of action, even the woman's moguls turned out to be a tight competition till the end.

Grr... USA and Korea are tied for 1st with 2 medals, and Canada only has 1 :tongue:

USA got 4 medals actually :wink: :

Silver and bronze in short track and gold and bronze in mogul

I watched the Nordic Combined race, it was really exciting! Very strong finish by the French guy :thumbup:

Still no medal for Sweden :cry_sad: But we got a chance in a couple of hours with Jesper Björnlund in the men's mogul final. Fingers crossed (or "holding thumbs" like we say in Sweden :tongue: )

The Men's Moguls finals was great. It was nice to see Canada finally winning a gold medal on our home turf; something we weren't able to accomplish in Calgary or Montreal. I've always preferred the Winter Olympics over the Summer Games simply because there are so many high-speed events (bobsled, luge, skeleton, downhill, etc.). It's amazing how daring these winter atheletes are.

YES!

Gold for Sweden! Charlotte Kalla in women's 10 km cross country skiing. Now I will have to make a little vignette for her too :laugh:

Anyone here gonna watch the hockey games? I'm for sure going for USA, but I think team canada is going to take it away.

Anyone here gonna watch the hockey games? I'm for sure going for USA, but I think team canada is going to take it away.

Hopefully Canada can get gold or at least a medal on their home turf. I'll for sure be keeping up with all Canada's games. Definitely going to need to watch out for the US, Sweden, Finland, and Russia though.

Go German Luge! :laugh:

I love the Winter Olympics, much better than the summer ones in my opinion. I just think the winter sports are generally more thrilling.

However, I can't stand figure skating. It just creeps me out. Plus, I hate sports that the so called "judges" decide. It's always fixed in some way or another. :sceptic:

Hopefully Canada can get gold or at least a medal on their home turf. I'll for sure be keeping up with all Canada's games.

Already done. Last night an Alex Something won gold in downhill skiing. He was really happy. In second was an Aussie, who didn't look impressed at all.

I'm hoping for Jon Montgomery to win some medals. He's in skeleton, and I know his sister.