Tyrant

Ideas for future Castle sets

I was thinking about a bunch of castle sets that would form an enormous castle. That way they would be small affordable sets ranging from $10-$50.

A $10 set could be a smaller wall section. Would include a minifig or two.

A $25 set could be a tower. An archer, and an enemy.

A $50 set, a grand gatehouse.

The $30 set? The king's throne room.

Well, you get the idea.

I would love an idea like that. I think there was a thread along those lines on here a while ago. I believe the basic idea was to make a larger castle (something that would normally be in the $250 or so range) out of several smaller sets. Something like that anyway. All TLG would need to do would be to look at their past offerings such as Battering Ram and Knight's Stronghold as a good place to start as far as wall segments. Just use more updated techniques on them and they could probably come up with something in the $20-$30 range that would be decent. You could possibly even make a small castle out of a few of these all by themselves. With some modifications, the Tower Raid could be used as a base for a new Tower set (remove the prison aspect and make the lowest level designed to be incorporated into a wall a little easier, maybe have a lesser seige weapon so that the tower could be larger or more detailed) and the Drawbridge Defense could be used as a base for a Gatehouse (either eliminate the elevated, water crossing aspect or keep it, but either way the tower would need to be redone to account for a portcullis). These would be a good place to start to get an idea of possible size and cost for these types of sets.

Along with the ones you mentioned, updates to sets like the Guarded Inn, Blacksmith Shop, and Armor Shop Would be great to help add character to a castle made from modular components. And they would be a nice way to get more villager types.

I like the idea of the Creator castle set. It sounds like a great parts pack and it wouldn't hurt to include a rudimentary figure, just to scale.

If I had control over TLC's set design, I would choose for castle:

Knight's Quest: An small set with a knight and a bandit, with weapons for fighting and a rock with an interchangeable flag (to see who is king of the hill). 53 pieces, 7.99 CAN

Bandit's Tower: Think the Wolfgang's fort, only made into a tower. With a ghost and 6 bandits, along with one peasant prisoner, like in the old castles. 490 pieces, $69.99 CAN

Merchant's Cart: A travelling cart with various goodies, and gold. Mostly dark brown (rather than red brown) with large wooden wheels. Would come with a merchant, a knight or soldier and two bandits. 153 pieces, $19.99 CAN

Knight's Keep: A rugged keep, with twisted plants at the base. Basically a large structure with culverts and crosses. Should be around 30cm tall, though wider at the base than the bandit's tower. Should come with 3 knights and 2 bandits, along with a king and a jester. Would also come with an exclusive knight with an exclusive weapon. Should be slightly broken down, and have breakable castle features like the King's Castle 2007. 1,002 pieces, $119.99 CAN

Trebuchet Artillery: A set including a working "trebuchet", with two to three minifigs for crew. One of them could be a soldier of any class rather than crew, such as a soldier or musician of some sort. The trebuchet could be for either side, using small flags on the base to denote goodness or badness. 330 pieces, $49.99 CAN

Peasant's Inn: An inn for the lower-classed citizens of Castleland. It would be a lot like the guarded inn from the 80's, only upgraded. It would include a couple of peasents, an innkeeper, and maybe a good knight). It would serve well as a special edition, although I suppose many would wish for a wide release. 253 pieces, $39.99 CAN

This at number two.....Merchant's Cart ! :sweet:

But at number one would have to be........Trebuchet Artillery ! :grin:

Man, could knock down a few walls with those things eh ? :devil:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

A minifig scaled balista. :grin:

I agree with that one too (note to self MOC one) :grin: , yep two minifigs, one balista and a target - like someone with a very large apple on their head ! :devil:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I was thinking about a bunch of castle sets that would form an enormous castle. That way they would be small affordable sets ranging from $10-$50.

A $10 set could be a smaller wall section. Would include a minifig or two.

A $25 set could be a tower. An archer, and an enemy.

A $50 set, a grand gatehouse.

The $30 set? The king's throne room.

Well, you get the idea.

That's a great idea! Maybe even a larger castle than that, but each set is still playable on it's own. Sorta like this set:

250px-6062_Battering_Ram.jpg

Tyrant I like several of your ideas and some of the others as well.

A lot of people write down ideas that just will never fly and wouldn't sell well at all. The most important aspect of any set has to be that it would be profitable for TLG or they will never make them. Remember the castle theme is mostly for kids and not AFOLs like us.

I think that unless LEGO makes a copy of a real cathedral (like they have with other historic buildings) we should just come to grips they are not going to make religious buildings at all. Nor are they going to make crusader type of knights like the templars. It is much too controversial.

A creator Castle could be very interesting and I would buy several as a great parts pack. I suppose this might be plausable although I am not sure of its "sellability" among non-castle fans.

As for a modular castle, with smaller sets to make a larger castle. I think the new release is going in this direction already. Did you see how the walls and corner towers are put together? This new castle looks incredibly modular and I would be very surprised if future sets aren't going to be incorporated into the Lion's castle. This is a great idea and I think lego is already onto it.

The minifig packs that you speak of in the original post do not sound like a good idea to me. Personally I like the battle packs they are already making. By having each faction have their own packs you can build up whichever faction you desire. Mixed packs force you into a certain ratio of figures in each faction. I especially hate any figure packs that put in characters like kings, princesses, wizards, etc. Those pirate packs just sucked... how many pirate captains do you need? Can you imagine how well a packs of red soldiers, blue soldiers, or nonspecific pirates would have sold if each had their own pack? My god lego couldn't have made enough of them!

The retro castle packs could be of use, especially for those who have missed out on figures from the past. However, since I have about 4000 castle figures I would lose a lot of money because my older figures would become worth a lot less.

Your specific set requests blacksmith, trade caravan, etc. all sound good to me. I really like the idea of making a large knights tournament set. I would like to see some peasants knights and squires. I would even like to see TLG make some tournament tents for the knights to stay in. This could also be a venue to bring back some old figures to be in the tournament. Having a tourny with 4 or more factions is better than just 2. It would be an expensive set with everything in it, but it would become an instant classic if done properly.

I also like the idea of an expensive keep. For $100 USD you could make a very proper keep. However, it would likely make the regular castles look bad and I'm not sure LEGO would do that at all.

I think that unless LEGO makes a copy of a real cathedral (like they have with other historic buildings) we should just come to grips they are not going to make religious buildings at all. Nor are they going to make crusader type of knights like the templars. It is much too controversial.

I'm mostly in agreement on this. I can live without one, but I know a lot of AFOL's seem to want something like this. I guess it mostly depends on if your setting really is supposed to be Europe, or if it's Europe-like similar to most fantasy settings. I'm more the latter so I see no reason to assume things like that had to be there (I also have no reason to assume they wouldn't be there, to be clear) so for me they aren't "must have". Although new building and figure variety is always nice and there are some interesting possibilities cathedrals and monestaries present. I do agree with you on teh likelyhood of it happening though.

A creator Castle could be very interesting and I would buy several as a great parts pack. I suppose this might be plausable although I am not sure of its "sellability" among non-castle fans.

If sellability among non Castle fans is an issue, the alternative of just making a large Creator house primarily in light bley would also work just as well for getting a set out that is packed with bley bricks. The Castle route would be better for things like the doors and windows (and maybe the roof) and other detail oriented parts. I think it's ability to sell beyond Castle fans would largely depend on what it's 3 models were. It probably wouldn't happen, but if one of the models were a stone church it would possibly have cross over appeal for town.

The minifig packs that you speak of in the original post do not sound like a good idea to me. Personally I like the battle packs they are already making. By having each faction have their own packs you can build up whichever faction you desire. Mixed packs force you into a certain ratio of figures in each faction. I especially hate any figure packs that put in characters like kings, princesses, wizards, etc. Those pirate packs just sucked... how many pirate captains do you need? Can you imagine how well a packs of red soldiers, blue soldiers, or nonspecific pirates would have sold if each had their own pack? My god lego couldn't have made enough of them!

Well, I did mention single faction as a possibility. It's my general preference as well. The multi faction pack was more as an idea if they were going to either reuse older factions (then there would be at most two sets, one with new figures and one with old, and that would make mixing a necessity) or if they were going to include civilians. I would prefer single faction, sold in stores, with a set up similar to Star Wars.

The retro castle packs could be of use, especially for those who have missed out on figures from the past. However, since I have about 4000 castle figures I would lose a lot of money because my older figures would become worth a lot less.

To cover this I would have the figures updated in some manner so that they are different from the originals. That might still drop their value. However, I would think it would be a decent compromise that would allow fans to have a cheaper way to build up an army of one of the older factions (Black Falcons, for instance) while hopefully not destroying the value of the older figures (though I have my doubts that concern is one that TLG shares). Using the Black Falcons as an example, they could make more detailed figures similar to the Crownies but with the Black Falcon crest and colors instead of that of the Crownies. For instance, something like a chainmail background with the falcon crest on either the chest or belt buckle. I honestly believe this approach might be cost prohibitive for TLG if they don't completely revive the older faction with a full range of sets but I would like to see it.

Your specific set requests blacksmith, trade caravan, etc. all sound good to me. I really like the idea of making a large knights tournament set. I would like to see some peasants knights and squires. I would even like to see TLG make some tournament tents for the knights to stay in. This could also be a venue to bring back some old figures to be in the tournament. Having a tourny with 4 or more factions is better than just 2. It would be an expensive set with everything in it, but it would become an instant classic if done properly.

I think a large tournament set is the best chance to see some of the older factions come back or be updated. Taking factions like the Black Falcons (I would really like to see more of them if that isn't obvious yet), the double axe guys (were they considered part of the Crusaders group?), etc that never had horses with barding or large flags and using them would be a great shout out to older fans. 1 knight and squire for 4 groups, updated or older torsos, printed armor and bardings for each. Maybe some new nobles or peasants for the crowd as well. I think the only serious downside to this set being made is that it would have to minifigure intensive which would possibly throw off the cost (although, the MMV has several figures and comes in at 1600+ pieces for $100 which makes it better than the 10cent per piece ratio that seems to be the magic number)

I also like the idea of an expensive keep. For $100 USD you could make a very proper keep. However, it would likely make the regular castles look bad and I'm not sure LEGO would do that at all.

Well the high end Star Wars sets put the regular sets to shame so I'm not sure if that is a huge concern for them. At that price it is likely to be a S@H exclusive and aimed at adults and I think they know that AFOLs know the castles could be considerably better if they were willing to charge the appropriate price for them.

Hi,

I normally hang out in the Trains forum, but I've gotten into the castle theme the past few years and Tyrant invited me to this thread based on another post.

The modular idea is great; it relieves the stress from TLG for deciding who (which faction) to make sets for.

Now, I'm coming from the point of view of what they did with the My Own Trains, so I'll repeat that here for those who didn't follow the train line at that time.

My Own Trains included three steam engines... small, medium, and large. Each steam engine included a base set of bricks (train base, wheels, etc.), and each one had two ways to build it for a different look. In addition, you selected the color pack... the set of color bricks to compliment the train (there was like 5 or 6 colors), which ultimately created a HUGE amount of variations.

So my suggestion was that modular pieces would be very much like what you guys have already suggested... a large and small tower, wall sections, gate sections, a stable, a blacksmith, etc. But then there could be "faction" sets that compliment them... it might include, for example, trim pieces in specific colors for the faction, and shields that get mounted on the walls as standards. Also, I think that the buildings themselves could come in variants of white, light gray, or dark gray.

Definitely minifig packs, but again, instead of TLG taking the risk of creating whole sets when they don't know which factions will be popular, a generic minifig set and faction accessory sets could make it easier on them... the battlepack could include weapons, the accessory set would include armor, including shields and helmets (maybe a cape).

So, based on the community build wall, I built one in LDD to see what you could do with new parts. I couldn't get all the colors right, but I essentially got a nice light gray wall with black and dark gray accents.

I would think you'd want at least 12 wall sections (3 on a side), with at least one of them being a gate... and four towers in the corners.

The wall section, by itself, was like $37, but for well under 100 pieces, LEGO could release such a set for $10 or so. I think you could do a nice walled city with such LEGO modular sets (should they make them) for in the neighborhood of $250, but it would be entirely up to you since it would be modular. That's including having different color accents and the possibility of changing the build slightly (for different windows/openings) to give it variety.

As an AFOL I absolutely love the modular castle idea. However, TLG seems to really strive for each set being playable right out of the box. I understand their thinking. When a child looks on a store shelf or opens a gift, TLG wants the set to be immediately recognizable as something a kid would want to play with. If it would take linking several sets together to make product playable it is less likely to sell.

For the trains I could see this working a bit better since they are geared towards a slightly older audience. At the very least parents usually give guidance and help with train sets for their kids. This is because trains have to be built in a certain way to make sure they function. Also a train is playable whatever color you tend to make it.

Castle is a theme almost completely aimed at children of a younger age. It may be possible to make wall or tower sections that are not faction specific but I can't imagine TLG selling them without any figures to make the set playable immediately.

I imagine if they go with more modular castles they will stick with a big castle set and make small additions like the blacksmith shop, battering ram, guarded inn, siege tower, etc. sets they made back in the 80's. Even modualr sets like that would make me very happy.

As an AFOL I absolutely love the modular castle idea. However, TLG seems to really strive for each set being playable right out of the box. I understand their thinking. When a child looks on a store shelf or opens a gift, TLG wants the set to be immediately recognizable as something a kid would want to play with. If it would take linking several sets together to make product playable it is less likely to sell.

Well, there are two ways around that that I can see. The first way is to still make a large castle, but make it hinged and expandable (like the old castles or the Troll Mountain Fortress). Then the other sets would be add ons, and with them you would need to include attacking enemies, siege equipment, whatever. That way they are playable out of the box but also useful for expanding the castle. The other idea is to make them geared towards AFOLs. Start with something like a keep and wall sets. Maybe towers too. Then, if those sell, begin expaning into things like a Blacksmith, Stables, Armory, etc. With this idea I would have a few alternate bricks included with the sets so you have the option of making the walls with the ability to plug in things like the Blacksmith, etc and so you can set them up in multiple ways. This route would allow them to make more detailed sets because they are AFOL centered. To make them faction specific, I think the best route would be a single additional set which contains shields, accents, banners, etc for an assortment of factions. Kind of like the old equipment sets that had shields for various factions only this would also have flags and maybe some parts to put on the castle as accents. The main sets would be neutral but they would have a small section in the instructions showing where to put the custom options. The only part about that I am not sure about is soldiers. Peasants and other folk in the keep can all be neutral but if they include soldiers it may need to just be 1 or 2 for each faction and allow you to decide who is in charge of things.

Well, there are two ways around that that I can see.

I agree completely... you could buy a complete set of "modules" to make something, be it a keep or castle or small walled city that can be expanded. The beauty is that add-ons, like a blacksmith shop, would be an interesting small to medium set that one could buy regardless of whether or not they had a "walled city" to put it in.

Edited by fred67

That's a great idea! Maybe even a larger castle than that, but each set is still playable on it's own. Sorta like this set:

250px-6062_Battering_Ram.jpg

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. And come on TLG, give us (medium size, not skeleton size) round shields! For without them this cannot be...SPARTA!! :laugh: Lots of 20 USD sets, just as wall sections, and about 5 different shacks/houses/businesses (baker,blacksmith,etc.)

Also, I think Kingdoms should be expanded, adding 1 or 2 new factions each year, each with its own personality-lots of archers, siege weapons, etc.

While I'm at it, how about a Lego battering ram? Could fit 4+ soldiers, and canvas-like material over slanted plates, comes with a wall section or outpost.

-Santhor

Edited by Santhor

Actually, I think that a modular castle could be a great sell, as long as TLG markets it right. They need to make sure that where ever the set is, it is with other modular castle sets under the lable BUILD YOUR OWN CASTLE! Specifically, they should probably have sets like (and this is just me):

-$15: A 10-brick high wall section, with 2 minifigs (a guard from each faction), and interchangable decorations (dark green and red).

-$25: A 15-brick high tower which can stand independently or with the wall, with 2 minifigs (an archer from each faction) and Interchangable decorations.

-$50-$60: A gatehouse under siege- a REAL Gatehouse, about 18 bricks high, a really well defended one with real towers. With 4 minifigs (one archer and one knight per faction) and a battering ram with interchangable decorations.

-$120:A keep, built modularly, could be a set on it's own. It would be 2 stories tall, with removable floors that give you access to a basement with dungeons and an armory, a second floor with a throne room/dining hall, and a staircase leading up to the roof. It could have a drawbridge leading up to the entrance on the second floor. It would include 10 minifigures, (Kings, a knight, a 2 guards, in their faction colors, and 2 servants) and shields, banners, tapestries, and flags that could be changed to make the castle faction- specific.

Those are just my ideas. Other buildings which could be added are:

A Windmill

A farm

A bakery

A stable

A marketplace

I'm sure there are more ideas out there, this is just what I personally would liike to see.

Edited by Admiral M

Don't get me wrong... I would buy up all of the modules everyone else is suggesting. I just don't think LEGO will do it nor do I think they should. Shelf space at most stores is at a premium. Walmart will not pick up a LEGO line that needs to be put on shelves in a group so a complete set could be made. Now such a line of products aimed at AFOLs and being a LEGO exclusive might work but they will likely not sell well amongst the younger crowd. A complete castle would likely end up costing $250.00 to $400.00 USD. I would personally love it but I don't think it would make LEGO a lot of money.

Tyrant I think your first method is the tact that LEGO may take. However a castle with hinges is not the way to go IMHO. It is still too limited on the way the castle can be configured. I think you should take a look at the newest castle again in these photos. Castle 2010

You will note that the walls, gatehouse, towers, mini keep, are all seperate. They break apart in the middle of the double wide dark bley slope sections of the wall. Each section has a single thickness of the dark bley slopes at the end of that particular section. You will also note the double wide dark bley sloping part is repeated in the center of the wall sections making for a great looking repeating pattern. With this configuration you can build the wall sections as long as you would like before you put in a tower or other section. The pattern of light bley wall and dark bley slopes will repeat at regular intervals.

I think the new 2010 castle is perfect for building a modular castle and I doubt TLG built it this way by chance. I think this is what TLG has planned over the next year. Now all they have to do is come out with the stables, armory, blacksmith, inn, etc. sections in future releases. Remember that Kings Castle Siege was available for three years in stores. I think this castle will also be available for a long time. As long as the line sells well I think TLG is planning on releasing sets to expand this castle. I will be one happy castle collector if they do.

One of your ideas that I think TLG might be amenable to would be a castle conversion set. This would be an exclusive set from LEGO to convert the faction a castle belongs to. Including Flags, shields, decorations, and maybe even roofing pieces. This way they can still make castles more playable looking for the kids but also allowing us to change the color scheme of the castle later. A bag of pieces like this would be a low cost solution to the problems you mention without the risk of trying to sell neutral looking castle sets that kids may not take to.

Edited by DaleDVM

But you've already said it, Dale... only, in addition to the modular castle that they are already releasing, they can release modules to extend it... another wall section, another tower.

That way the kids still get their inexpensive ( :oh: ) castle, but it can be EXTENDED and modified to keep it fresh.

Don't get me wrong... I would buy up all of the modules everyone else is suggesting. I just don't think LEGO will do it nor do I think they should. Shelf space at most stores is at a premium. Walmart will not pick up a LEGO line that needs to be put on shelves in a group so a complete set could be made. Now such a line of products aimed at AFOLs and being a LEGO exclusive might work but they will likely not sell well amongst the younger crowd. A complete castle would likely end up costing $250.00 to $400.00 USD. I would personally love it but I don't think it would make LEGO a lot of money.

Well, by being aimed at AFOLs, I don't think sales to kids is an issue. Look at the MMV for instance. It isn't sold in stores and it has a price that pretty well excludes kids. Star Wars has numerous sets like this and they seem to sell without a second thought about sales to kids. I think it could work. Though if they go this route, it would likely have to be a MMV caliber set to sell well because I assume it will have a MMV caliber price tag (or parts of it will anyway). I think the odds of something like this happening are probably dependant upon other factors entirely. For instance, did the trains that are the template for the customizable option sell well? If not, did they learn anything from it that they think they can improve to make them sell in this format? Did the castle expander packs sell? If not, was there anything learned? I think things like that, and other questions, are what will determine if any ideas of these type ever happen.

Tyrant I think your first method is the tact that LEGO may take. However a castle with hinges is not the way to go IMHO. It is still too limited on the way the castle can be configured. I think you should take a look at the newest castle again in these photos. Castle 2010

You will note that the walls, gatehouse, towers, mini keep, are all seperate. They break apart in the middle of the double wide dark bley slope sections of the wall. Each section has a single thickness of the dark bley slopes at the end of that particular section. You will also note the double wide dark bley sloping part is repeated in the center of the wall sections making for a great looking repeating pattern. With this configuration you can build the wall sections as long as you would like before you put in a tower or other section. The pattern of light bley wall and dark bley slopes will repeat at regular intervals.

I think the problem with not using hinges is that you have to buy two of everything (or two things of equal length) to expand a castle. If you expand the wall on the left, you have to expand the wall on the right so that they both line up with the front and back where they connect. If the walls have hinges, then they can swing to account for different lengths. To be clear, when I am talking about hinges I am meaning similar to the Troll Mountain Fortress. It splits apart at every joint and the walls can swing out in a few places. I have easily added more walls to mine and I wasn't bound by symmetry. The base model in this case isn't square either. To me, that is important because not all castles are a square/rectangle and if they go this route I would prefer them to be truly customizable (out of the box). The system in the new castle is fine, if you want to build a square/rectangular castle (and there's no problem with that, I just prefer more options). The new one is more modular than the previous one, I agree with that. I just think it could go one step farther like they did in the past.

For instance, did the trains that are the template for the customizable option sell well? If not, did they learn anything from it that they think they can improve to make them sell in this format? Did the castle expander packs sell? If not, was there anything learned?

Well... no, they didn't. It's sort of an untenable proposition, though. They didn't sell well because few people even knew of their existence. It partly has to do with shelf space; WalMart is not the LEGO outlet store, they can only dedicate so much space. Believing that other sets will sell better, then, creates a self fulfilling prophecy. I mentioned this in the train thread... I know why they didn't sell well, but I can't offer a solution about what to do about it.

Moreover, there is no doubt they will sell more Star Wars sets of the same size than they will trains or castles, so given production capacity, which do you think they will want to manufacture?

It's just a sad truism at this point: LEGO won't give us what we want because it doesn't make financial sense for them to do it. No matter how much we like them, they are a profit driven company that almost went out of business, partly due to over production of items few people were buying.

My suggestion for the former problem (shelf space) is that they try to market trains to Hobby stores. I don't know if or how well that would work, but I would imagine parents buying trains, and not knowing much about the hobby, might feel more comfortable buying LEGO sets for their kids than HO or N. And when they buy their sets, and see these modular selections of trains and tracks that they can expand with, they'll know to come back if their child likes the set. They could even go this route and offer town and other sets in hobby stores, as they can all build off a train set.

Sadly, that does nothing for LEGO Castle. There's no "castle" stores, as far as I know. Well... there's a "Medieval Times" near me (that dinner show with jousting and stuff). Interestingly, it's in the same mall as our local LEGO store; but I digress... LEGO wouldn't exactly fit their theme, even though they sell figures and various "toys" (like wooden swords and so forth).

In the modern age, shelf space shouldn't be an issue as long as people KNOW they can order stuff online. Maybe more inserts into sets advertising the existence of LEGO.com, including showing the variety of different themes available there. Unfortunately, most people throw away the "junk" without looking at it because they aren't fans like we are, they just got the set for their kid or something.

I think the problem with not using hinges is that you have to buy two of everything (or two things of equal length) to expand a castle. If you expand the wall on the left, you have to expand the wall on the right so that they both line up with the front and back where they connect. If the walls have hinges, then they can swing to account for different lengths. To be clear, when I am talking about hinges I am meaning similar to the Troll Mountain Fortress. It splits apart at every joint and the walls can swing out in a few places. I have easily added more walls to mine and I wasn't bound by symmetry. The base model in this case isn't square either. To me, that is important because not all castles are a square/rectangle and if they go this route I would prefer them to be truly customizable (out of the box). The system in the new castle is fine, if you want to build a square/rectangular castle (and there's no problem with that, I just prefer more options). The new one is more modular than the previous one, I agree with that. I just think it could go one step farther like they did in the past.

For the "midi" scale modular castle pieces I'm working on, I'm thinking of just either using a 1x2 technic brick OR hinge bricks. Most will be technic bricks, but I'll throw a few hinge bricks in there, too. It may not be "perfectly" modular, but it'll be modular enough... and that way I can make it angle either way, depending on what I'm doing. Since it's a small scale, it's not a terrible amount of work to switch bricks or directions.

I suppose if you planned it right, switching bricks or directions could be quite simple.

Edited by fred67

I haven't been too opinionated about the Castle line lately, but looking at what's to come and what we've had, I have a few things to say about it. First, I would not like to see any more lone "towers" that lack sensability. I understand with a seige engine kids are going to want something to attack, but when I picked up the Troll Seige Tower, I have this hollow random tower to do something with. Now in the upcoming line I see another tower that doesn't look anymore pleasing than the last one. I'm not saying scrap the tower all together, but an "Idea for a Future Castle Set" could be a much more relevant tower or wall that can be attatched to the main structure or be detailed enough that it wouldn't look completely ridiculous and random on its own.

Second, continue to bring back carts guarded by soldiers, but make them decent looking. The prison cart coming out in the upcoming line is ridiculous! I understand it gets a thumbs up because we've been asking for such a thing as a throwback to the carts of yesterday, but this cart is so foolish in many ways. The prisoner looks like he could hop the fence pieces that comprise the 'jail' section of the cart. If we are going to get a cart, I would thoroughly enjoy having one hauling supplies, carrying troops, or if it is going to be for prisoner transport, make sure the prisoner couldn't hop to freedom! Also, I hate the stationary hitch on many carts. Even some of the wagons and such of the 80's early 90's had hinged hitches that allowed the horse to turn without dragging the wheels of the cart along with it. A simple rotary piece can change the whole thing, and make it much more appealing, at least to me. :tongue:

Third, a modular wall system. I know, I know, we've been asking for this forever. We were spoiled in the past, even if by looking at my Flickr Gallery you can see that joining up all of the modular sets is hard to accomplish if you want the castle to look even on all sides. Lego can improve this! By making an armory, blacksmith, inn, etc each with the same length of wall, or multiples of the same length, we could expand our castles ten fold without having to worry how many studs long a wall section is. I understand that the children who have playtested the 'civilian' sets prefered technic launchers in comparisson, but substituting the tower in 7948 with a nice armory that can attach to 7946 would be perfect!

My perfect Lego Castle line would look something like...

-Big Generic Castle comprised of two evenly spaced hinged walls that fold open to allow for expandability. Eight soldiers of various types defend the King or some cool looking leader. (Yes, I do like the idea of having a king or a leader simply because they usually have very cool clothes/accessories.)

-A length of wall with a blacksmith working behind it, his shop being part of the inside of the wall. This is being attacked by a well designed catapult and a couple of generic soldiers, with a few other generic soldiers manning the wall.

-A longer length of wall with some other civilian working doing his job. This is being attacked by a siege tower or a couple of soldiers with ladders, obviously the wall is being defended again by archers or spearmen.

-A length of wall with four generic soldiers. What a sweet "battle pack", eh? You could buy 100 of these and have a use for every one. The soldiers would increase your army and the walls would be more walls to expand your castle!

-A smaller enemy fortification with generic soldiers that can be expanded, hinting at future sets for the next line.

This would be a dream. One large set, two medium-ish sets, one small set, and one "battle pack". The next line could introduce another large castle for another faction or simply another fortification for an existing one, and everything is usable to expand your castle. Kids would buy a bunch of sets and go home to construct a huge castle, then invite their friends over, "Mom! His castle is four generic modular wall sections larger than mine! Can we please go to Target and pick up some additional sets of this incredible line?" How wonderful!

I do agree with you that the hinges do allow some flexibility. I definately like having castles built with angles other than 90 degrees so hinges would be apropriate. If they went that route on one castle line and kept this line with the straight additions that would be OK by me. Hinges are not too tough to add to a castle if needed. I was just pointing out that the current castle really looks as if they are looking to incorporate our modularity ideas. I just hope they give us add ons at some point. I don't think buying two of a wall section is such a big deal if they keep all of the additional sets the same length and they also offer a cheap plain wall section.

One thing I noted with my Black Monarchs Castle when I opened it up is you needed quite a bit of castle wall to close it back up again. However, that was built on large baseplates and not the smaller plates they are using today. I didn't try to expand the troll fortress.

Fred has comfirmed some of my worries. I know comparing castle, to trains, to Star wars, really just doesn't work. The failure to sell the trains does not absolutely correspond to modular castles we are discussing here. But the Lego group does take note of these things. I just don't think generic looking castles and modules will sell well to kids. We absolutely need the kids to buy up the sets so we can keep castle going and going. I still think selling castle modules to expand the Lion knight castle could sell really well and still give us most of what we want. Perhaps at a later date they could sell the conversion pack to change the roof color of the castle and some shields, flags, cheese wedges, needed to convert the castle at a reasonable price.

One thing TLG should certainly do is put pictures on the back of the packaging about how the castle modules go together and expand your castle. Put on a slogan like "Add this armory to your castle to increase the defenses" or "Expand your castle to hold more troops with this castle wall section"

Kliq I can't agree enough with you about the lone tower. Why not make it tie in with the castle? Again, put a photo of it added to the castle on the back and it will sell better. I know we AFOLs can MOC the tower into the castle but kids like to be shown that they can do this easily. The port in the skeleton ship attack was not easy to add to KCS either. A real waste of an opportunity if you ask me.

The carts and terrible builds are a sore point with me as well. How about that troll impulse from a couple of years back. EEKS! :sceptic: I have to admit I really liked the Skeleton Prison carriage. It was very well built and had the three undead horses to pull it along. I thought that might be a new direction they were going to go with carts/wagons but alas we are back to simple crappy ones again. I understand they are trying to keep these small sets within a certain price point. If that is the goal they should not get overzealous with what they are trying to build with those 20 bricks. Simple supply carts are what they should stick to when they are making really small sets. Prison carriages and transport wagons need to be a bit bigger and should be reserved for the 15-20 USD range. I would kiss some serious booty for a nice wagon pulled by two brown horses. AFOLs would buy in bunches just for the horses.

The carts and terrible builds are a sore point with me as well. How about that troll impulse from a couple of years back. EEKS! :sceptic:

What was that one... the troll warrior set, with the little attack cart thing?

I loved that... got a bunch on clearance to build up my Orc army. Yes, I said "Orc, " let's not mince words!

For like $1.50 in the bargain bin, it was a great buy... and I have a bunch of parts now to build "real" carts.

Yes that is the set with the flick fire missile. I couldn't even tell what that attack cart was supposed to be. I can only assume it was a medieval rocket launching device. I got em on clearance too. 30 of them and now I have a gaggle of cart wheels. Shows you how bad this set really was since everyone was able to buy them at half price.

I hope TLG learns from this and starts to make the small builds something people would actually want.

Edited by DaleDVM

Hi there all,

One of my great frustrations with the Viking range is that LEGO produced these fantastic Mythological beasts, but you could only get them as part of much bigger sets (that I simply could not afford at the time). I would love to see stand alone Dragon kits, or better still dragon vs knight (St. George anyone??) kits. Also, with a new Robin Hood movie due out soon, is it time to revisit Forestmen????

Just my 2c

Nikkiwi