11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

My interest in the Atlantis line has been going up and down for a while now. Sometimes I like them, other times, they're just meh. However, I was at the Lego Store today, and they had all of them, and decided to get the one that looked the most interesting to me. It's probably the best $15 set I have ever purchased.

The Box-

Charles033-1.jpg

Charles034-1.jpg

I really like the Atlantis packaging. The back shows the many features of the set.

The Minifigures-

Charles035-1.jpg

The minifigures in this set are great. You get one Manta Ray Warrior, who has nice details and a trident. The diver also has many nice details, however the new scuba gear does cover a lot of it up. Also shown is the key. It's a very nice piece, with a manta ray in the middle.

Building Experience-

I loved building this set. It involves a lot of neat building techniques, and a fair amount of technic (I <3 technic). The stickers are easy to apply, and add a small, yet nice amount of detail to the vehicle.

The Seabed Scavenger-

Charles036-1.jpg

Charles039-1.jpg

Charles038-1.jpg

Isn't it lovely? It's a single man submarine with three wheels, and arms. I love it! The main body of the vehicle is very well designed, with the bubble cockpit, lights, and curves.

Charles040-1.jpg

The cockpit is a bit bare. There are two large gaps, but you can forgive those, can't you? A lot of the space is taken up by the scuba gear.

Charles041-1.jpg

Charles042-1.jpg

Now let's move on to the features, which this set has a considerable amount of.

The front arms can move up and down due to the way they are built around the wheels. They also have ball joints at the "wrists". The claws can open and close, and the saw blade can spin.

Charles043-1.jpg

The next feature are the incredibly underrated flick fire missiles. I thought the holders would come right off when you go to flick them, but they are held on by two clips and not one. The result is a very sturdy connection. The can also move around.

Charles044-1.jpg

The last feature is the suspension system. It works, but I don't think there will ever be a time when it will come in handy.

Charles045-1.jpg

Charles046-1.jpg

Overall-

I cannot recommend the Seabed Scavenger enough. The figures are great, the vehicle is well designed, and has some really nice features. I feel $15 USD is a great price tag for this set, and I would highly recommend picking it up.

Charles047-1.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed and poll added

Interesting - this is the set that caused so much hate a few months ago as a hundred pixel wide prelim picture. I think your standing for best $15 set might change if you picked up Guardian of the Deep, which I think is a lot better than this looks. However, there are some nice techniques on the cockpit, and it comes with the manta warrior... I'm still not totally sold on it, but you did a nice review - just try turning the flash off when you photograph the box.

Interesting - this is the set that caused so much hate a few months ago as a hundred pixel wide prelim picture. I think your standing for best $15 set might change if you picked up Guardian of the Deep, which I think is a lot better than this looks. However, there are some nice techniques on the cockpit, and it comes with the manta warrior... I'm still not totally sold on it, but you did a nice review - just try turning the flash off when you photograph the box.

I'll definitely be picking up Guardian of the deep. Looks to be a good set.

I too thought that this set looked rather poor at first, but in hand, it really looks great.

Edit: Here is a picture of the Scavenger without the wheels and arms:

Charles-1.jpg

Very nice submarine on it's own.

Edited by Ratbat

I just picked up three Atlantis sets. Neptune Carrier, Gateway of the squid and this one. :wub: Love 'em all!

Thanks for the review. :classic:

Edited by The crazy one

Huh, I ust say it looks better WITHOUT the wheels and arms, all those bionicle type pieces ruin regul;ar ELGO sets in my opinion.

The figs are cool thought, and I really like it without the wheels and junk, it looks like a little personal sub.

Huh, I must say it looks better WITHOUT the wheels and arms, all those bionicle type pieces ruin regular LEGO sets in my opinion.

That's my opinion too.

This set is really Below average, close to Poor.

I kinda feel bad saying this but I don't really like this set much. When I saw your pic of it without the wheels and claws, right away I thought it looked much better that way. Which is kind of a coincidence that the previous 2 posters said the same.

I like your review. It's just the power miners wheels and claws looks weird to me on it. Especially 3 wheeled. :classic:

I think your standing for best $15 set might change if you picked up Guardian of the Deep, which I think is a lot better than this looks.

I got Guardian of the Deep for Christmas, and I think it is a so-so set. The pricetag is fitting, but just something about it just seems to be lacking. I do like its snapping jaw though.

I saw this set today at Target and bought it, I think its fantastic. I like the new figures, especially the scared face on the diver :laugh:! The Manta Warrior is nice as well.

I love this set, everything about it is really slick. A few days ago, I bought the $10 Wreck Raider set, and while it was nice, I just felt that it was overpriced at $10 USD (It should have been priced at $8, like the Power Miners Mine Mech) But with this set, I think the price is perfect.

If you see this, pick it up! Its a good starter for Atlantis...

-darthperson

Cool review. This set is nice, but it looks a bit too skimpy. I would've liked 2 wheels in the back instead of just one.

That's my opinion too.

This set is really Below average, close to Poor.

That's my view three :wink:

and... why does every 'action' set need to have a big saw blade and a claw nowadays?

Charles040-1.jpg

Although I like the SNOT design on this, it doesn't look too waterproof :grin:

Nowadays? Underwater themes have nearly always had this stuff.

img_4842.jpg

This set reminds me of a similar Mars Mission set, which also happened to be the only Mars Mission set I liked.

and... why does every 'action' set need to have a big saw blade and a claw nowadays?

Because a big saw blade can cut up some mighty mofos! More Power! <insert Tim Allen ape grunts> :tongue:

Got this one too.

I really dislike what they did with that technic 'suspension' its only a suspension in the sense that the connectors are flimsy and kinda bend, which makes me worry that I'm going to break them.

Also, the space robo arms used to mount the floodlights lack gripping power, the dish lights keep falling off.

Same with the antenna/joystick, new mould is too loose.(notes this is other sets as well)

Still this was a worthwhile purchase for me, I wanted the parts.

The new canopy bubble in a 15$set is great.

Edit: Here is a picture of the Scavenger without the wheels and arms:

Charles-1.jpg

Very nice submarine on it's own.

Their is something wrong with a set when it looks WAY better with half the junk taken off it. :oh: