Sign in to follow this  
Zane

PHOTO REVIEW: #8733 Axonn

THE BOX

The the most superficial part of any LEGO product, but the one that often determines whether or not the set is a success or failure.

axonnbox.jpg

Well, this artwork certainly jumps out at you. It's very similar to the Piraka and Matoran boxes, though rather more powerful, with a layer of lava and rocks behind Axonn.

axonnboxback.jpg

On the reverse is some neat artwork of Axonn in a heroic pose, with Brutaka's shadow behind him. The instructions for the combiner model at the bottom of the box will, sadly, only be online.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

So you've bought it and taken it home (or at least made it to the car), punched the perforated tabs and dump out the contents. What do you get for your money?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tilius/A...n/boxinside.jpg

Well, it's the usual instruction booklet, and three bags of pieces. The instructions have Vezon and Fenrakk in the back, along with the Piraka, Brutaka and the combiner.

THE BRICKS

Here's where we start to cut to the heart of the matter. You didn't buy this box for all the glossy booklets & creative artwork. You want to know about the LEGO bricks & bits that are included, and what (if any) new & interesting parts you'll find inside. Here's also where I'll talk about any new and/or interesing pieces that you will encounter.

There's a decent selection of parts in here. New parts include Axonn's mask, a 'tube', Axonn's axe blades and a red Piraka body. All the red in the set is Metru red, too.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tilius/A...Axonn/parts.jpg

There is also a new ball-joint. It�s similar to the regular joint, but with a hole through it for + rods. There's also a new '5'ish rod with a circle at the end, which restricts to rod from being pulled out the other way.

armour.jpg

The armour included is also a sort of pearl. Above is a comparison between the pearl armour on the left, and the regular armour on the right.

BUILDING EXPERIENCE

What can you expect while putting this model together?

The building didn't take very long for a set of this price. Axonn is a basic Toa with a Piraka body, more armour and a whopping great axe. I still think the set is great, but I expected more parts and an overall larger model.

PLAYING EXPERIENCE

So you've got the model together, but is it more like playing with a block of wood or an interactive toy?

axonnbuilt.jpg

It may surprise you to hear that Axonn actually has no axonn, sorry, action feature. While some may dislike this, I think it�s a step in the right direction. It means the figure can be posed more, and, in my opinion, have more playability.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tilius/A...n/axonnback.jpg

Axonn's back, as with most sets, is nothing too special. I might have liked some armour on here though, such as a Metru Matoran body. Cleverly, the rubber bar at the neck actually keeps the shoulder armour in place.

You may be worried that the tubes that run from the heel to above the knee would restrict that Axonn's leg posibility. These actually help Axonn's knee to be sturdy enough to hold the rest of his body. The pipes can use the new '5' rod to lower or heighten Axonn's stance.

Like this, Axonn's knee is bent.

And like this, he is stood straight up.

This is how Axonn compares to a Toa Nuva when his leg tubes are fully extended.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tilius/A...n/axonntahu.jpg

OVERALL

Here's where it all boils down to whether the model is worth your money and time or not.

This guy is pretty cool. The only thing that bothers me is his overall size. I just don't think the size is good enough for a set of this price. Other than that, though, there's little to complain about. He is really quite posable, and is pretty fun to pose, too. As you can see, as Axonn goes all 'King Kong' on the equally brilliant #8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Tilius/A...onnkingkong.jpg

I'm pretty fond of Axonn, and, although I can see a few people disliking him, once you have the set, I think you'll change your mind. I'd personally like to see him stay with the Toa Nuva throughout the next few years.

Also, check out my Brickshelf for more pictures.

TT

Nice review. I don't collect Bionicle, but I've got to admit that he looks cool.

Excellent review.

PINNED!

There is also a new ball-joint. It�s similar to the regular joint, but with a hole through it for + rods. There's also a new '5'ish rod with a circle at the end, which restricts to rod from being pulled out the other way.

Are the new balls that go all the way through stationary, or do they slide on the axle? Like, is it a stiff fit or is the hole slightly wider so it can slide loosely across it?

It may surprise you to hear that Axonn actually has no axonn, sorry, action feature. While some may dislike this, I think it�s a step in the right direction. It means the figure can be posed more, and, in my opinion, have more playability.

HUZZAH! The action features of the past few lines were really forced, which took the coolness factor of the figures straight into an inescapable nosedive. I'm glad they didn't mess this one up. ;)

The joint is just the same as putting a rod through a + hole. Same stiffness.

TT

Great review and great pics! ^_^

But I have one question... shouldn't Jon (Dimensioneer) get credit for the review layout?

I don't think you can demand credit for a review lay-out. There are tons of reviews and some of them may look alike, but that's no reason to give/ask for credit. Just my 2 cents...

But I have one question... shouldn't Jon (Dimensioneer) get credit for the review layout?

Well, seeing as this review was originally written for BZP, it should be fine.

TT

I don't think you can demand credit for a review lay-out. There are tons of reviews and some of them may look alike, but that's no reason to give/ask for credit. Just my 2 cents...

Yeah... it's a bit much. It's like McDonald's copyrighting putting a burger on a bun, then putting condiments on top followed by more bun.

It's just logical.

That might be good for MOCing. I'll probaly buy 3! :$

That will do. >-|

Awesome review Toa Tillius. (Do I know you from BZPower?) These sets are getting better and better, especially Axxon's posable fingers. :-D

Do you know what Axxon's mask is called?

I took a peek at his Brutaka review pics,and i can tell that the back of Brutaka's box features him and a red object-could this be the fabled,mythical Mask of Life?!

Do you know what Axxon's mask is called?

Does anybody know that? ;)

BTW, is the Axonn's axe moving when you put it in his hand?

Nice review, makes me want him more.I...need...him...so...bad...if...I...don't...g g g g BOOM!!!!! *wacko* That hurt bigtime!Wha wus I,oh yeah.I really have to have him, after I get Brutaka tough.To Ebay!*crash*Nevermind I'll stay on the boards. :$