Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

Me and my fleet on the move

Those last few days were very special to me, as I moved to a new place to live. You can imagine what a mess such a task can be, and to top it all I had to transport all my ships without destroying or dismantling them. This case was bothering me for quite some time, but fortunately it all went pretty smoothly, much easier than I expected. Thanks to my friend, who offered assistance and her car, which was used to transport not only Lego, but a lot of other stuff too.

I noticed that the two ugly boxes, which originally contained new chairs I bought, could be very useful. In fact I have no idea what I would have done without them, so they pretty much saved the day. It's a good thing I bought those chairs. :pir-classic: So I put the ships into those two boxes (sorry about the mess, as you can see my apartment was still being renovated at the time):

01.jpg

+ a few smaller ones into this box (forgive me the product placement, it's completely unintentional :pir_laugh2: ):

02.jpg

Inside of one of the big boxes, sorry about the blurry picture:

03.jpg

As you can see some of the ships had to be partially dismantled, but it was nothing that would bother me.

In my new place, I had a new cabinet built specifically for my fleet, here it is, not completely assembled yet. It also tends to lean forward here, but that was later fixed.

05.jpg.

It took me two full days to clean the ships (some of them collected some dust in the old place, being directly exposed to it), reattach some of the loose pieces, put the sails back on, asseble and clean the cabinet. The result looks like this:

06.jpg (cabinet closed/cabinet open) 08.jpg

(you can even see me on the left picture if you look closely :pir_laugh2: ).

Right now I'm experimenting with placing of the ships, in order to give each of them enough exposure. Nonetheless, I am satisfied with the results so far. It's hard to show it on the pictures, but there is actually place for some more ships in there (which is a good thing as I'm building another one right now, and I'm planning on getting the new 10210 Imperial Flagship as well). When there is no more room, I'll probably move the smaller ones somewhere else, as it's easier to find a new place for them, and leave only the bigger ones in here, but that is yet to be seen).

One more picture, with all ships facing the screen: :pir-classic:

00.jpg

That picture is my favourite, unfortunately I can't keep them like that permanently as it would be impossible to close the cabinet, and someone could hit them while passing by, or even cause them to fall on the floor. :pir-sceptic:

Brickshelf gallery, with a few additional pictures.

:oh3:

WOW, You ahve a sweet collection.

THey don't look nearly as menacing in the boxes. :pir-grin:

You are a dedicated Pirate fan, great job on the display as well. I hope to have something like that for my SW sets one day.

(you can even see me on the left picture if you look closely :pir_laugh2: ).

*oh2* whoooaaahhh a ghost! :pir-oh3::oh3:

But seriously, the ships look really nice in their display cabinets.

I'm glad your move went smooth. It would be a shame is some of those beauties broke :pir-cry_sad:

Very nice collection you have there :thumbup: . I'm yealous of the beautifull displays as well!

Nice ships! Looks like you slightly modified every detail of the official ships :jollyroger:

I only have two ships built from sets right now - Black Seas Barracuda and Birckbeard's Bounty, and yes, they are both slightly modified. The rest are customs.

That's fun, I saw your pictures on BS yesterday, before the forum ^^

You have a very large collection, that is quite impressive, and I particularly like the last picture with the wide range of colours that we can found on your sails. But I was also surprised by the upper-right ship of the sixth picture, that looks like one of my old ship that was called Hermes, and that I had to rebuild. I have to say that I love your work on the figureheads too !

Nice cabinet! I like the glass doors because they help keep dust out!

Have you considered cabinet lighting? Perhaps warm LED strips? I think it would look great and help showcase your very impressive collection!

I've got a similar looking cabinet with (IKEA MARKÖR) and I'm currently using it to display my Medieval Market Village set as well as few othersI don't have any lighting yet! A friend of mine does, though - it looks very nice. He has a model ship collection, albeit non-LEGO.