Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

Who saw the premiere of Star vs the Forces of Evil last night? Definitely a nice show, and I can't wait to see where it goes!

I missed the first episode when it premiered a while back, but I watched it last night. I have yet to watch the second episode, but so far I have to say I'm not a fan. The show has that hyperactive randomness that I tend not to like in modern cartoons. Not that it's a bad show, just not really my taste.

I have to say that so far the first episode is my least favorite, the second has a better structure (and is way funnier) and the other 2 I watched were lot funnier and more interesting.

Anyone here watch Steven Universe? Quality television right there. I also watch Gravity Falls now too. Both are excellent shows. :classic:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Who saw the premiere of Star vs the Forces of Evil last night? Definitely a nice show, and I can't wait to see where it goes!

Star vs the Forces of Evil looks like Steven Universe to me.

And yet one entertains me while the other annoys me.

I'll give you a hint: CN only show one toon I enjoy and that's Adventure Time.

-*-*-*-

So I will be having Netflix access soon (house-sitting ftw). Any Anime I have to watch? I am a little out of the loop these days because I stopped buying the UK anime magazine a few years ago and now really only follow up on series related to what I liked/watched before (FMA, GitS, Cowboy Bebop etc).

I have a Once Upon a Time binge planned, but I am looking after the place for 17 nights so plenty of room for suggestions!

Stuff I really enjoyed and would suggest for anyone to give a shot:

Death Note

Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)

Soul Eater

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (abbreviated: AnoHana; English: We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw Yesterday)

Stuff I really enjoyed but might not be for everyone: (and a reason for why not)

Mirai Nikki (lots of violence and confusing story later on)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (lots of connect-the-dots storytelling and more focus on psychology than story)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (focus on over-the-top ridiculously awesome action and not meant to be taken too seriously)

Kill la Kill (same as TTGL but with a healthy dose of fanservice added)

High School DxD (harem series, extremely fanservice-y and stars devils, which may offend religious people (although angels aren't portrayed as the villains)

I'll vouch for this one. Checked it out late March, and I just couldn't stop watching it for three days! I started the last movie last weekend, a follow-up to the series, and it's alright, though I haven't finished it.

Stuff I really enjoyed and would suggest for anyone to give a shot:

Death Note

Parasyte -the maxim- (Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu)

Soul Eater

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (abbreviated: AnoHana; English: We Still Don't Know the Name of the Flower We Saw Yesterday)

Stuff I really enjoyed but might not be for everyone: (and a reason for why not)

Mirai Nikki (lots of violence and confusing story later on)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (lots of connect-the-dots storytelling and more focus on psychology than story)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (focus on over-the-top ridiculously awesome action and not meant to be taken too seriously)

Kill la Kill (same as TTGL but with a healthy dose of fanservice added)

High School DxD (harem series, extremely fanservice-y and stars devils, which may offend religious people (although angels aren't portrayed as the villains)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is for everyone. :wink:

Other good choices would be:

Code Geass (lush world. confusing at first, makes complete sense later on)

Steins;Gate (Also confusing, excellent writing)

K-ON! (Cutesy. Fun slice of life. Music is catchy even though it's Japanese, regardless of Sub or Dub)

Toradora (Sweet and heartfelt. Fun characters)

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (slice of life meets sci-fi, light hearted and somewhat confusing. Watch the movie after you've finished the series)

Lucky*Star (hilarious slice of life)

Attack on Titan (intense story, violent, incomplete at the moment. It continues next year)

Angel Beats (interesting story. Can be heart-breaking at times. Prepare for feels)

The Devil is a Part Timer! (hilarious. incomplete. Will continue soon.)

And this list isn't just for Peppermint M.

Everyone who watches anime, should at least try each and every one of these.

If anyone asked me if they should watch TTGL I'd say yes, but some people are put off by the focus on the action so I thought I'd put a warning. I also forgot to mention Akame ga Kill!, which is a really dark shonen series which takes place in a fantasy setting.

Black Butler:MA

Watamote:MA

Good Luck girl:MA

My little monster:PG14

Psycho-pass:MA

hetalia:MA

Tenchi:PG14-MA

Samurai 7:PG

Mushi:PG

Read or die:PG14

Welcome to the NHK:MA

Future Diaries:MA

Summer wars:PG14

Is this a zombie:MA

Tri-gun:PG14

Log Horizon:PG14

blood lad:MA

baka and test:PG14

My bride is a mermaid:MA

Space Dandy:MA

Full metal panic:PG14

Psycho-pass,Welcome to the NHK and Future Dairies are the darkest and most mature titles out of all these.

Psycho-pass,Welcome to the NHK and Future Dairies are the darkest and most mature titles out of all these.

NHK was dark? I didn't really think so. Well, I guess it had some dark themes to it (suicide, etc.). Still a good and entertaining show despite, at its core, being about a shut-in. I'd recommend.

I don't have Netflix, so I can't really help you, Peppermint_M, since I don't know what they offer. Though I do recommend FLCL (6 episodes of insanity), Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy... Eden of the East wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't put it above others. Anything else I have to recommend has been said by others...

Anywho, on my table, I'm currently watching Xam'd: Lost Memories, which is good so far. Half way through and I'm not disappointed. But I have heard that the story is somewhat cluttered, and the end tries to wrap it up nicely, but falls short. I wouldn't know. Like I said, still haven't finished it. But as of now, I recommend it.

Also, anyone been watching Ninja Slayer? It's the most ridiculous thing I've watched. Like, just under FLCL levels of ridiculous. I love it so much. And it's by Studio Trigger of all people.

I will have a pick through some of those titles suggested (It all relies on what is on Netflix when I take a look).

I guess my older list is well back when I started the thread! (O gosh, nearly six years ago!)

Zoids Chaotic Century and Guardian Force, Macross/Robotech, Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, The Cat Returns, Full Metal Alchemist (in part) and Brotherhood, The Big O, Ah! My Goddess, You're Under Arrest, Urusei Yatsura, Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Muteki Kanban Musume, Buso Renkin and Excel Saga would be my picks as Must Watch. All these from back in the backness when I watched a lot of anime. Certainly worth a watch if you've not seen them before.

A lot of the anime suggested are also on Hulu and Crunchyroll free (I know FLCL is on Hulu and Parasyte is on Crunchyroll), so if anything tickles your fancy but isn't on Netflix, you can check there. I know at least Death Note is on Netflix and that they also have a lot of other shonen series.

A lot of the anime suggested are also on Hulu and Crunchyroll free (I know FLCL is on Hulu and Parasyte is on Crunchyroll), so if anything tickles your fancy but isn't on Netflix, you can check there.

FLCL is also on YouTube on the official Funimation channel- the complete series, dubbed. I checked it out recently as well, and it's a very interesting show... in many ways... so confusing, but it leaves you thinking.

I watched the first episode a bit back and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to finish the series when I get some free time. I heard its story is pretty simple, it's just the bizarre storytelling and happenings that are confusing.

Hehe, I could write essays on this topic, but I think I'll start with a short list of top favorites. My main interests Anime, particularly sci-fi, mecha, steampunk, action, or adventure genre. I think some really top favorite Anime of mine are:

Attack On Titan (On the edge of my seat the entire time)

Black Lagoon (Amazing but very under-rated)

Code Geass (Undeniably one of the greatest things ever made. Its in my Top 3 list. If you have not seen this, you're just missing out :P)

Cowboy Bebop (Amazing!)

Darker Than Black (Really good. Totally underrated)

Death Note (Undeniably one of the greatest things ever made. Its in my Top 3 list. I rooted for Light the whole way)

Ergo Proxy (One of the most unique and sophisticatedly interesting things out there. Almost everything is a symbol or has an inner meaning. Every one must see this)

FLCL (Totally freaking amazingness that can't be described with words!)

Ghost in the Shell (Undeniably one of the greatest and most unique things ever made.There is literally nothing else like it. Its number 1 in my Top 3 list. )

Gundam 00 (Freaking Amazing! now I must get all the Gundams)

Gurren Lagann (Undeniably one of the greatest things ever made. Its in my Top 3 list (yes I know I have 4 things in my top 3 list))

Samurai Champloo (Samurai and Hip Hop? Its freaking Awesome!)

Welcome to the NHK (Freaking Amazing! and really funny)

A couple movies I think are worth mentioning:

5 Centimeters Per Second)

Appleseed

Howl's Moving Castle (Or pretty much anything Miyazaki)

Steamboy (Freaking Awesome!)

Oh man, how could I miss that from my list??? Watched the whole original 26 episode season twice already. Waiting for the movies to finish before I dive into them.

The anime was great, though I wasn't a huge fan of the weird meta-ending (last two episodes). The animation quality and battles are some of the best seen, especially considering how old the Anime is. Also, shinji is a whiny baby...

Actually just found this gem on YouTube this morning (EvAbridged):

Darker Than Black (Really good. Totally underrated)

I have an issue with Darker than Black. They try really hard to build up a mysterious story with worthwhile characters, but they go so long without explaining literally anything having to with why any of these things that happened (except mentioning that they did, but nothing much beyond that).

I found this anime, for all that it was hyped up to be was a grave disappointment storywise. What backstory they did give was quickly resolved with minimal effect on the series. It didn't help that most of the main cast is quite literally emotionless.

Death Note (Undeniably one of the greatest things ever made. Its in my Top 3 list. I rooted for Light the whole way)

I also have a bit of an issue with Death Note regarding a certain characters fate being sealed far too early in the series, and then literally being replaced in the remaining 10+ episodes of the series by a wannabe. I recapped the story through wikipedia and found out that after that certain character passes, I didn't miss much.

Anything before that major turning point in the series is an edge-of-your-seat thrill ride. I loved it up until that point.

Oh man, how could I miss that from my list??? Watched the whole original 26 episode season twice already. Waiting for the movies to finish before I dive into them.

The anime was great, though I wasn't a huge fan of the weird meta-ending (last two episodes). The animation quality and battles are some of the best seen, especially considering how old the Anime is. Also, shinji is a whiny baby...

Actually just found this gem on YouTube this morning (EvAbridged):

Yeah, I liked it for being something different but I much preferred EoE. You can watch End of Evangelion before Rebuild 3.0+1.0 comes out, it's just the true ending to the series. Death and Rebirth is unnecessary, though, just a clip show with 30 minutes of EoE tacked in. And yeah, I saw EvAbridged (was actually rewatching two days ago), best abridged series ever. xD

Edited by Toa of Gallifrey

Howel's Moving Castle was pretty but if you read the book all you can see is how rubbish the film is. (A straight up adaptation would have been awesome.) I find most of the Ghibli films meander around looking great with some messages waved at you and then a stop not an ending. The Cat Returns is good, Nausica, Porco Rosso and Laputa are too, but everything else I don't mind to miss.

Millenium Actress, now there is a film to watch. It is amazing. Satoshi Kon was a genius.