Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

Ideas for Roman sets

Well, if I have my info right, Playmobil currently has a Roman theme and it's been a success thus far. So, with that said, I'd like to a Roman warship with some enemies of some sort.

I think they should make a fort some soldiers maybe a house or a barracks.

Oh and i found this polish clone brand that's got a product line called Romans & Barbarians.

Here's a link: Linky

CastleLord.

I think they should make a fort some soldiers maybe a house or a barracks.

Oh and i found this polish clone brand that's got a product line called Romans & Barbarians.

CastleLord.

Great find, CastleLord! :thumbup:

Of course these sets need to be some improvement (the war vehicles partly look a bit unrealistic, there is no emperor and even no other civilian minifigs and nearly no civilian building). :sceptic: But nevertheless the most of these sets are even ideas for sets I hope TLG will offer to us in the next years! :oh:

Klaus-Dieter

i found this polish clone brand that's got a product line called Romans & Barbarians.

CastleLord.

Not bad looking for a clone brand.

It would be nice to get battle packs.

Look even Best lock has Romans why not Lego?

H'm, I do like the design of that galley, I might have to replicate it in LEGO (and using BrickForge Roman accessories of course!). :grin:

Look even Best lock has Romans why not Lego?

I still can't stop laughing when I see Best Lock (COBI in Poland) sets...

Why, You ask?

13453_d.jpg

Romans had Rocket Launchers! That's why they win!

I find it strange that so many people want roman sets but I have only seen one Roman MOC. I personally would like a coliseum in the style of Taj Mahal, an impulse set for romans and barbarians, and something like a Roman MMV with an aqueduct, food stands, and some kind of building.

another idea: Patrol Ambush. It could include 2 legionairies, 2 Barbarians, a rock were the barbarians stand, some rock flinging machine for the Barbarians, 3 spears, 2 roman shields, 1 barbarian shield, an axe, a longsword, 2 trees, a cart, and treasure.

Limes 40 Euros

Defend the boarder of the Roman Empire!

- a wall piece

- a wall piece with a gate

- a watch tower (first floor: entrance and weapons chamber, second floor: little recreation room and canopied balcony around the whole tower)

including a barrel, a chicken leg, two tumblers, two horses, a torch, many weapons

minifigs: centurion, two legionnaires, two barbarians

Roman Implse Set 3 Euros

Enlarge your Roman army!

including a rucksack with two holders (in order to annex something), a buckler, a lance, a sword and a shovel

minifig: legionnaire

Barbarian Impulse Set 3 Euros

Enlarge your Barbarian army!

including a round buckler, a battleaxe, a sword and a conifer

minifig: barbarian

Klaus-Dieter

I'm not an expert with Roman terms Klaus. Could you explain some what a Limes, tumblers, rucksack, buckler, and a conifer are Please.

Limes I know not. Tumblers are large drinking glasses, a rucksack is a soldier's pack, a buckler is a small round shield, and a conifer is a pine tree.

Actually barbarian was the Latin word for "foreigner" so anyone who wasn't Italian was a "barbarian".

I also would very much like to see Roman/ ancient world themed sets of any kind.

Actually the word is not at all latin but greek. The meaning is "the ones who doesn't speak well (the greek)" or "the ones who mumble" so, as you say "foreigner". As many many words it passed into the "standard" latin but for the romans (and remember roman doesn't means necessarily italian. For example Trajan was originally from Hispania and became emperor) of the imperial era "barbarian" had more or less the modern meaning of the term : "uncivilized". Persians, for example, were not part of Rome and they were not considered barbarians at all! :wink:

Actually the word is not at all latin but greek. The meaning is "the ones who doesn't speak well (the greek)" or "the ones who mumble" so, as you say "foreigner". As many many words it passed into the "standard" latin but for the romans (and remember roman doesn't means necessarily italian. For example Trajan was originally from Hispania and became emperor) of the imperial era "barbarian" had more or less the modern meaning of the term : "uncivilized". Persians, for example, were not part of Rome and they were not considered barbarians at all! :wink:

Indeed? H'm, thank you for enlightening me. :classic:

Roman Galley:

Includes a roman boat with 6 oars, 3 roman legionarys, 2 centurions, one special soldier, the general, a barbarian, his dingy, 6 roman shields, 4 spears, 2 shorst swords, a standard, and a chrome long-sword. The boat also has a catapult, a tent, and a ram on the front

I'm not an expert with Roman terms Klaus. Could you explain some what a Limes, tumblers, rucksack, buckler, and a conifer are Please.

Limes I know not. Tumblers are large drinking glasses, a rucksack is a soldier's pack, a buckler is a small round shield, and a conifer is a pine tree.

Thanks, Hound Knight. :classic:

@ Emperor claduis rome:

The Limes was the boarder between the northern part of the Roman Empire (today's South and Middle Germany) and the area where German tribes lived (today's North Germany). It consisted in its early time of palisades and watch towers made out of wood, later of walls and watch towers made of stone.

Here is a new set idea:

Battle of the Teutoburg Forest 40-50 Euros

Play the battle between the Roman legionnaires and the barbarians! Let the legionnaires pass the dark track with the swamp on the one side and the rocks on the other side! Suddenly the barbarians jump out of their hide-out. Who will win - the Romans or the barbarians?

a landscape with a track in the middle, a swamp with some scrubs and trees on the left side and some rocks on the right side

including a lot of weapons (no war machines such as catapults etc.!)

minifigs: centurion, two legionnairs, barbarian chief, two barbarians

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Battle of the Teutoburg Forest 40-50 Euros

Play the battle between the Roman legionnaires and the barbarians! Let the legionnaires pass the dark track with the swamp on the one side and the rocks on the other side! Suddenly the barbarians jump out of their hide-out. Who will win - the Romans or the barbarians?

a landscape with a track in the middle, a swamp with some scrubs and trees on the left side and some rocks on the right side

including a lot of weapons (no war machines such as catapults etc.!)

minifigs: centurion, two legionnairs, barbarian chief, two barbarians

Klaus-Dieter

For some reason I think the Barbarians will win.... I'm not sure why though. :tongue:

For some reason I think the Barbarians will win.... I'm not sure why though. :tongue:

Really?! :laugh:

But I don't think that the main audience of possible Roman sets (supposably kids between 5 and maximum 10 years old) would know that! :wink:

The question is even: Wouldn't it disturb the fantasy and play experience of kids if you already before they start playing tell them how they have to play and how the battle has to end? :wink:

Perhaps I better should have chosen a neutral name - but a name of a historical battle sounds never bad (especially when you're studying history)! :grin:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Really?! :laugh:

But I don't think that the main audience of possible Roman sets (supposably kids between 5 and maximum 10 years old) would know that! :wink:

The question is even: Wouldn't it disturb the fantasy and play experience of kids if you already before they start playing tell them how they have to play and how the battle has to end? :wink:

Perhaps I better should have chosen a neutral name - but a name of a historical battle sounds never bad (especially when you're studying history)! :grin:

Klaus-Dieter

I guess so... it just seems a bit limiting for a set. On the other hand if someone were to build a MOC of the Teutoberg forest...