Sign in to follow this  
blueandwhite

Brickmoor Castle

Owing to a few requests, I've decided to make a thread featuring my last major MOC, Brickmoor Castle. This Castle measures about 100 studs in width by 75 studs in depth. The floor of the castle is raised, and the interior fully accessable.

Here are a few pics to give you a taste of Brickmoor.

02brickmoor.jpg_thumb.jpg206drawbridge.jpg_thumb.jpg

205courtyard.jpg_thumb.jpg400soldiers.jpg_thumb.jpg11brickmoor.jpg_thumb.jpg

701trees.jpg_thumb.jpg

As it stands, Brickmoor is my largest MOC to date. Currently, Brickmoor is still standing, however planning has begun on an appropriate successor. Depending on how things work out, I may post some concept sketches for her replacement in the foreseeable future. For now, I would ask you to enjoy Brickmoor as she now stands.

The Brickmoor Gallery may be seen HERE.

For my other MOCs, my Brickshelf Gallery can be found HERE.

Again, thank you for taking the time to view my folder. Feel free to comment as constructive criticism is always welcome :-D .

Later.

Fantastic! I have to say that I love the interior of the castle, and how you were able to align everything to split apart like that. You made the opening style like that work very well.

I don't know where to start. I said alot in the post in which I requested but there is so much more to say...

The hieght of the walls. I have seen many castle MOCs with nice walls but the sheer height of yours is very striking. Impending. The crosses and accent bricks look great.

The terrain is some of the best I've seen. It flows and mixes very well. What color baseplates did you use for the whole thing?

The house-ish areas inside the castle(the black and white and red buildings.. over looking the courtyard) look perfect too.

The throne room with the checkered backrounds.

There is too much to say. This is one of the best castle MOC's I've seen. Your others are very good too! I love the Santa Claus(St.Nick) Vignette!

P.S. How did you aquire all those grey bricks? The supply seems to be endless!

P.S. How did you aquire all those grey bricks? The supply seems to be endless!

A large quantity of my grey was purchased through shop@home. I aquired 14 Black Falcon Fortresses among other things, and over $1000 in grey bricks & plates (expansion packs). Other elements were aquired over bricklink. These aquisitions were made over the span of several year (not a one-time purchase), and came at the expense of not purchasing many of the exicting sets LEGO has seen fit to release. If given the choice between a new set and $100 in pieces from Bricklink or shop@home, I would almost always choose the latter. Bricklink is a wonderful source of rarer bricks, necessary for intricite details. Just make sure the seller is reputable (Personally, I haven't had a problem with Bricklink).

The best thing to do when collecting bricks is to start small. Building smaller, more design intensive MOCs is actually a great way to improve your building skills before moving onto a large-scale project. I have since added more grey to my collection (though brickmoor didn't exhaust it entirely), and have started to plan my next castle which I hope to complete sometime next year.

For a builder who is starting out, I suggest (as I did in the other thread) collecting new grey. The Harry Potter Graveyard Duel is a great source of grey at an amazing price. You'd be hard pressed to get a better assortment of bricks for that price anywhere else.

Later.

I am more into Pirate MOC's... but because most Fortresses in this time were basically Castles in white and yellow... so Bley isnt as big a problem to me as it is to others...

... but I am going to make a Northern Fort.... and this will aquire grey... I think I have enough old grey to build this but if I want to build more(which I will eventually) than I will need to get more...

Curious - why do you suggest getting lots of new grey instead of old Gray?

I am more into Pirate MOC's... but because most Fortresses in this time were basically Castles in white and yellow... so Bley isnt as big a problem to me as it is to others...

... but I am going to make a Northern Fort.... and this will aquire grey... I think I have enough old grey to build this but if I want to build more(which I will eventually) than I will need to get more...

Curious - why do you suggest getting lots of new grey instead of old Gray?

easier to obtain

Ahhhhhh excellent! You took our advice and created a thread for this masterpiece! Now everyone can appreciate it they way it should be!

You creatures shouldn't be shy about creating threads to display your MOCs. Afterall, you've spent all that time and effort to create them so you should proudly show them off. Posting a link 20 posts into a thread and saying "Oh yeah, I created this..." doesn't give these MOCs the exposure they deserve.

Brilliant work B&W!

What can I say? There is so much detail and so much to comment on. First of all I would like to say that your original and asymmetrical castle design is great, you have used mottling to great effect and it makes the overal extreior of your castle look eye-catching.

I cannot comment on all the detail you put in, but I love the drawbridge, the trees and the small scenes such as the forestmen breaking in! :-D

Great stuff, I must check your whole BS gallery when I have time, to see what other masterpieces you have created!

Jon.

I was always impressed with how much you packed into Brickmoor... to get 2 tudor sections in such a confing space without ruining the scale is an achievement!

God Bless,

Nathan

A large quantity of my grey was purchased through shop@home. I aquired 14 Black Falcon Fortresses among other things, and over $1000 in grey bricks & plates (expansion packs). Other elements were aquired over bricklink. These aquisitions were made over the span of several year (not a one-time purchase), and came at the expense of not purchasing many of the exicting sets LEGO has seen fit to release.

Even if this was multiple purchases over the span of a few years that's still alot of money spent on this MOC. So, Mr Blueandwhite, how much LEGO do you have left over? :-D

A large quantity of my grey was purchased through shop@home.  I aquired 14 Black Falcon Fortresses among other things, and over $1000 in grey bricks & plates (expansion packs).  Other elements were aquired over bricklink.  These aquisitions were made over the span of several year (not a one-time purchase), and came at the expense of not purchasing many of the exicting sets LEGO has seen fit to release. 

Even if this was multiple purchases over the span of a few years that's still alot of money spent on this MOC. So, Mr Blueandwhite, how much LEGO do you have left over? :-D

Yes, its market value is probably over $2500. That being said, I have received LEGO almost exclusively from relatives for my birthday, and for Christmas over the past 4 years. I actually have a nice stockpile of old grey built up over the years. This year, I expect that I will again be receiving nothing but LEGO for Christmas. Many fans collect sets or minifigs. I collect Bricks.

My collection is such that I could probably build a castle 2x the size of Brickmoor at this point (in the planning stages as we speak).

Remember, the size of your collection also depends on what other things you collect. I am first and foremost a LEGO fan. Accordingly, my collection is quite large. Many people have speant more money than I have on rare elements or minifigs. I have no interest in overpaying for unique elements.

As to the exact size of my collection... That's hard to say. Judging by his photos, I would hazard to say that my collection comparable to Norro's collection.

Later.

Yes, its market value is probably over $2500. 

A market value of (US dollars?) $2500!!! In the words of Bart Simpson and all good conquistadors "AYE CARUMBA!!!" . That's an investment! If I spent that much money on a MOC I'd a create a thread just to discuss its development and probably another thread to discuss its completion. I'd want the whole world to know what I was upto.

That being said, I have received LEGO almost exclusively from relatives for my birthday, and for Christmas over the past 4 years.  I actually have a nice stockpile of old grey built up over the years.  This year, I expect that I will again be receiving nothing but LEGO for Christmas.  Many fans collect sets or minifigs.  I collect Bricks.

What nice friends and relatives you have! I haven't recieved LEGO as a gift since 1992, it appears my relatives don't believe in buying me LEGO. So this means I've got to buy it all myself and since I'm a poor student I don't have great wads of cash to throw round. Not that I use wads of cash with electronic banking.

My collection is such that I could probably build a castle 2x the size of Brickmoor at this point (in the planning stages as we speak). 

Do remember to create a thread when you finish that so we can all see. It would also be interesting if you created a thread to show the work in process so we can see how it changes over time. Nobody round here does that, except for Imperial John, but he seems to have vanished in recent times.

Remember, the size of your collection also depends on what other things you collect.  I am first and foremost a LEGO fan.  Accordingly, my collection is quite large.  Many people have speant more money than I have on rare elements or minifigs.  I have no interest in overpaying for unique elements.

What do you mean by "other things you collect" - I collect Fezzes. That uses finances!

As to the exact size of my collection...  That's hard to say.  Judging by his photos, I would hazard to say that my collection comparable to Norro's collection. 

Ummmm... How big is Mr Norro's collection?