AwesomeStar

WIP: HALO Wars Spirit Of Fire

I agree, and this whole discussion about the interior is simply for scale issues :classic:

Progress has been made on my BIG DRAWING THING, as I call it, and I now have completed sketche sof the technic frame and connections points.

For the beds, you could do it like the US Navy does on the ships, 3 beds stacked on top of each other. As for militairy things, I think I could help you, I like things in and about the army.

I wish you good luck with this huge project! :thumbup:

I have never made something bigger than a 22" Military helicopter, so I will just agree with Saint on the above.

For lights, I would actually use a transred tile with a light behind it, or even a New Exo-Force light up brick It would not be hard to have surface features be pushed to light up a room.

jifel

Nice idea Jiffel, but in such a scale near to impossible... Those LED´s are good, but after a while the battery´s will go dead, and then ?

Take a string of 5 mm LED´s with 1,5 volt battery´s instead , those are low cost and ready availible in sevarel colors.. just built the bat/box in a easy place where you can replace the bat´s .. and you´re all done !

Regarding lights, I'd actually look for card stores that sell light up cards, as they have small circuit boards, and a btight light, and should be easy to implement into the MOC.

Or perhaps those lights used in lego trains?

Or just find some cheap LED lots on ebay.

Thanks for all the light tips, and Wouwie, I'm sure your knowledge would be fantastic!

However, I need tips for the structure of Technic. How do I connect them? What side should I connect the plates to? By this I mean should I connect them via the studs or turn the technic on the side and use pins to connect them?

~A.S.

You could use a combo of these parts: This and this (Last in any lenght you want)

Thats what I was thinking, but more along the lines of HOW. The connection to make a hexagonal prism is gonna be really hard and so far all I've got is discarded ideas.

Thats easy :classic: ... check the WIP photo´s of my ship... those give you a good idea :classic: . But then again that is not a hexagonal prism, my ship had 8 sides, getting the effect that I could build decks into the ship.

But, I have to say, there´s a lot of pins and beams involved there ... and I think a boxshape is better ..

I worked it out ... but constructing that takes a lot ! of 16 length beams , some 80-90 pins a few other parts .. and the deck keeps "floating" .. and thats only 1 part.. t

On the "Blacktronia" I had some 3000 pins and some 1000 16 length beams .. and I still felt that I came up short .... ( not to mention plates :sceptic: )

Grtz Saint

Maybe 8 sides (an octagon) would work! Can you give me a description of how you connected them to make that shape?

~A.S.

afbeelding1.jpg_thumb.jpg

This is a basic frame , 2 decks.

Start of by connecting 16 length beams with hinges ( to get a octathingy ) .

Using these :

40344.gif

You can build the deck's , just put them in the 2nd slot ( or your hinges wil not work ) ... strange thing is.... it's an uneven count... from side to side its a uneven number to connect them... just leave a gap in roughly the middle to make the + working ... I opted for a configuration where I kept the standing and lying beams separate ... its just not as sturdy... but for decks it is quite rigid ... the do tend to sack a little ( there is a lot of stress involved on the decks )

Just follow the link to the WIP I gave you and watch closly.. it's not all that hard to do ... I have trust in you, my young apprentice :vader:

Still... I would go for a boxshape... those are much more sturdy..

You can always "stack" more boxes... bigger or smaller.. and you can slope the sides better and sharper.. but hey... it's your imagenation :wink: who am I to disagree with a good idea :wink:

Sorry for any grammer mistakes, my technical english is poor... and my grammer isn't what is was back when I was in school ( 16 years ago )...

Grtz Saint

Thanks for the advice, and I'm really getting on with the drawings. Its going very well so far. :classic:

I'll follow the link, and will observe, O Master.

Oh, and your english is fine :wink:

~A.S.

UPDATE:

-SNIP

In the meantime, my cat has a cold and an eye infection, so I'll have to take him to the V-E-T (I don't say vet around him, he always runs off :tongue:), which will halt drawing by about an hour.

EVERY SECOND COUNTS!!!

~ A rather excitable A.S.

Hi Joe! Its me, your brother! Hee Hee!

Ah, so NOW i know what your always rambling on about!

Edited by SirBrickko

Hi Joe! Its me, your brother! Hee Hee!

Ah, so NOW i know what your always rambling on about!

� Sir Brikko �

?

That maybe would be better to PM your brother, or just tell him. Either way, welcome to Eurobricks!

On topic, could you perhaps upload some pics of the drawings so far, just so we can get a rough feel?

jifel

I really hope you can manage to pull this off. I doubt it because... well I doubt anyone could. At least in minifig scale :tongue: If you can do it than Kudos to you, if you can't well than I can't say I'm surprised. If you could pull this off than it will probably take like 15 years. Good luck anyway :classic:

I don't think this is going to be 15 years in the making, MarcusV3.

As a 2 year project it's really good. Planning, gathering the parts and building wise you can aquire lot's of parts and idea's, and get a lot of building done.

The Danger, however, is in the fact that is can be a slow going project, and losing intrest in it is very realistic.

A ship like this can be done, look at the Yamoto... 6 years of building... a lot of parts. and a lot of determination on his side .. so if he can do it, why not somebody else ?

It's frustrating to build something this big at times, I know ( for real ) , but keeping an interest in a project is the key..

~insert my own story~ ( sorry )

The Blacktronia Was build in a year timespan, for LEGOWORLD, and my very first attempt of building in this scale, and I discovered that I had to do a lot of

rethinking ... the use of beams and pins made it light, but heavy.. detailing the ship was fun, but took a lot of time... almost 2 meters long, 3 decks, and engine, crewquarters ( nobody saw them because they were to low in the ship ) and a bridge ( again nobody saw a lot of the finer detail )

The Stormhammer Was build pure for the SW-Weekend in LL-Germany, and was in effect large ship, lots of plates and beams , no visible insides.. and took me a good four months to build.

Larger than the blacktronia ? Nope, but it shure does look like it ... Because of the higher build , you get a "feel" that something is larger than it really is.

Measuring in at 1.82 meters, even I thought it to be bigger.

Given that I didn't do a lot of building in recent years, I took up the challenge again of starting to build a spaceship, inspired by this youngster, and If I can, will stand by him in advice and guidence. For one I think, this youngster can achieve the semely impossible.

Keep up the good work , give us our daily updates ( or weekly ) and thumbs up for you , A.S.

Grtz Saint

Aw, shucks. :blush:

Thanks Saint, and your right about the Yamato guy, he's another person who inspired me.

Luckily Spirit Of Fire will be a lot smaller, at just over the size of my bed.

Currently I'm STILL drawing the Hull out on my to-scale planning sheet(s), stuck on my wall like a poster.

I really want to show it too you guys but 1.)My camera's busted and 2.)Because the drawings are to-scale, it makes them very large to photograph, and the only way I can figure to do this would be climbing out my window onto the bay-window roof (just under my window), leaning in and taking some pictures. But of course, my camera's busted. :hmpf_bad:

However, look at your bed, take in the length, height and width, then imagine that in Lego. Then match that image up to the Spirit Of Fire image I provided in the first post, and you'll get an idea.

Also of note: I completed HALO Wars today! Ooooooh yeah!

~A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

Congrats! My friend just bought it, so I will play it soon.

How Long/ wide is your bed, cause it could be a twin, or a King, Queen, or a double.

jifel

Congrats! My friend just bought it, so I will play it soon.

How Long/ wide is your bed, cause it could be a twin, or a King, Queen, or a double.

jifel

Ah, its a great game, bit different as its an RTS instead of an FPS, but you'll love it. The graphics are :wub:!!

My bed's just a single bed, about... a metre in width, and about 2 and three quarters in length. Height... about 70-80cm.

~A.S.

P.S. What are you doing posting at ten to one in the morning??

UPDATE: Seeing as this topic is getting rather large I'm going to split some of it up into sections. Therefore, anything marked with UPDATE: is a new section, anything not is just general chatter between myself and you guys. :classic:

Minifigs: Ideas and Discussion

Minifigs will be the last thing I'll do, but I want to get some ideas and discussion about them laid down now.

I use a great website called Halopedia (LINK!) for all my HALO information, as it is a real-canon (meaning true to the series) online encyclopedia of HALO.

I'm going to do the main characters first, so here's the list and my idea for each.

NOTE: Any ideas that you come up with may be added to the list.

Captain James Cutter;

AT-ST drivers torso, gray mechanic's head, buzz-cut hair (like Agent Charge's), bley legs and arms.

Seargent John Forge;

If it proves to be possible, Forge will be the same as Cutter, but will have BF Space Marine armor (Dk Gray) and BF Segmented Pauldrons (Bronze). If this isn't possible please tell me. Forge's hair is pretty much absent, cut very close to the head.

Professor Ellen Anders;

Need Ideas

Serina (A.I.);

Need Ideas

~A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

Ah, its a great game, bit different as its an RTS instead of an FPS, but you'll love it. The graphics are :wub:!!

My bed's just a single bed, about... a metre in width, and about 2 and three quarters in length. Height... about 70-80cm.

~A.S.

P.S. What are you doing posting at ten to one in the morning??

By my time, it was about 8:00, so not too late at all.

Are you doing peach heads or yellow, as that will help us alot with ideas for Minis. Forge and Cutter sound great, but can you link to the head you are talking about?

Also, I know I Halo Wars is a great game, I have already beaten the Cov. in a match on Elite, on my third tim I played it.

1st time: on medium,as UNSC, death by Scarab.

2nd time, on easy, Covenant, killed with ghosts.

3rd time, elite, UNSC, I just put a Spartan w/ chaingun in a sentry tower and he killed three ghosts while I built lots of scorpians. Took me 15 minutes about.

jifel

Glad to here you like the game!

I'm in-between on what color heads to use, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use fleshie.

1.) The characters in the game are human, and this ship is supposed to be an accurate interpretation.

2.) For situations like the above, Lego tend to use flesh heads.

Here's a link to the head I was talking about for Captain Cutter.

~A.S.

Glad to here you like the game!

I'm in-between on what color heads to use, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use fleshie.

1.) The characters in the game are human, and this ship is supposed to be an accurate interpretation.

2.) For situations like the above, Lego tend to use flesh heads.

Here's a link to the head I was talking about for Captain Cutter.

~A.S.

1.) thats what I thought.

2.) For liscensed themes.

That is the head I had expected, it will probably do just fine.

jifel

1.) thats what I thought.

2.) For liscensed themes.

That is the head I had expected, it will probably do just fine.

jifel

Cool, glad to know you agree!

Jifel, I'm going to start a topic down in the Media bit of Community for HALO Wars, so we can have our little chats about The Awesomeness down there, so we don't clutter up the topic with our ZOMGs, lol :wink:

~A.S.

Just and idea, but I made a massive car once before. I started by doing it 4x10 then went to 8x15 and up. It took a while, but you tend to get a better feel for what will be the next stages.

Just and idea, but I made a massive car once before. I started by doing it 4x10 then went to 8x15 and up. It took a while, but you tend to get a better feel for what will be the next stages.

That sounds interesting. Seeing as this project is going to take a LONG time, and I'll only really be using bley, I'll ahve lots of pieces left over. Also, I think my drawing hand needs a rest and a MOC needs building.

In light of the new Midi-Scale Millenium Falcon I'm considering building a midi-scale Spirit Of Fire just so I can get an idea of appearances/angles etc.

Thanks keetong!

~A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar