Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

New Brickfilm Academy

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a brickfilming forum be added to Eurobricks?

• Yes
    • No
    • What would I care - I'm not a brickfilmer!

I think they should get their own opinion. There aren't that many brickfilms being posted here as there is no forum. I think it would attract more members too. And besides, I probably shouldn't say this, but I think EB is a much more friendly and welcoming community than brickfilms.com.

I completely agree with you. It is a very different enviroment over there. That is why I am a member of EB and not Brickfilms.com.

Also, even if we do not make a Brickfilm forum, a few tutorials might be in order.

Edited by SupremeCommmanderGrievous

Additionally, I would be willing to contribute to some tutorials if requested.

That seems like a good starting point. When we have some nice tutorials covering the different aspects of brickfilming we can bundle them in a pinned index. Even without a separate forum that could inspire some to start making brickfilms or to share their brickfilms on Eurobricks.

To any brickfilmers on EBs who want to contribute by making tutorials, please don't hesitate to do so.

Then do you think Brickfilms should at least each get their own thread in their respective forum, or stay at Brickfilms.com?

Their own respective thread. It would be great to have these films shared in this community, because there's a lot of fantastic films out there that, besides the BF community or the BiM community, might not be seen by some members here.

What I have done with the LEGO Pirate film index is a prime example. Most of the films have their own thread, plus being in the index!

Also, even if we do not make a Brickfilm forum, a few tutorials might be in order.

Tutorials here would be good, for those that don't visit either BF or BiM. But those two (especially BiM with a probably superior community) have a community with a wealth of knowledge on brickfilming :classic: .

EDIT: Sounds like a good idea Bonaparte!

That seems like a good starting point. When we have some nice tutorials covering the different aspects of brickfilming we can bundle them in a pinned index. Even without a separate forum that could inspire some to start making brickfilms or to share their brickfilms on Eurobricks.

To any brickfilmers on EBs who want to contribute by making tutorials, please don't hesitate to do so.

Sounds like a plan. But where should we post these tutorials?

Since these tutorials are theme independent AND Lego related, the right place is LEGO News & General Discussion.

And someone will create a directory for brickfilming tutorials in the LEGO News & General Discussion?

And if you want to make a tutorial, PM me saying what tutorial you would like to make so we don't have 25 of the same one!

And if you want to make a tutorial, PM me saying what tutorial you would like to make so we don't have 25 of the same one!

Same here, someone PM me if you would like me to contribute to some tutorials. (I can easily do some tutorials for visual effects on Photoshop or filming at 10 fps.)

And someone will create a directory for brickfilming tutorials in the LEGO News & General Discussion?

What's a directory? When a few tutorials are created we can make an index for them.

Same here, someone PM me if you would like me to contribute to some tutorials. (I can easily do some tutorials for visual effects on Photoshop or filming at 10 fps.)

I'm not a fan of using PM since not everyone sees the information, it's rather inefficient. Much better would be that whoever plans to make a tutorial writes some details in this thread. That way everyone has the information.

What's a directory? When a few tutorials are created we can make an index for them.

Well here is the first one to go into the index. Would an index be the start of a forum? Because I can see a few people becoming brickfilmers and participating in a brickfilming forum when they have the know-how from these tutorials.

I'm not a fan of using PM since not everyone sees the information, it's rather inefficient. Much better would be that whoever plans to make a tutorial writes some details in this thread. That way everyone has the information.

Ok. That sounds good so take heed everyone. But DON'T post a tutorial until I have replied giving you the all clear or you may waste your time by creating an unused tutorial.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Would an index be the start of a forum?

I'm curious to see if these tutorials bring more brickfilms to our forums. The films should be posted in the respective theme forums (e.g.: a pirates brickfilm goes into the pirates forum). The staff is not preparing a forum dedicated for brickfilms on Eurobricks for the moment, but never say never...

I'm curious to see if these tutorials bring more brickfilms to our forums.

Well give me and whoever else contributes to put together a few tutorials, and then some more time for people to produce some, and I think you will be pleasantly suprised!

EDIT: Here is the link to the second tutorial "Walking at 15fps" Say 5 tutorials before an index is created?

Edited by Captain Zuloo

New tutorial. Video Conversions can be found here. Can someone please index it with the others?

Added it is!

Added it is!

They all seem to have dissappeared from the tutorials index.

EDIT: They are not in the index pinned in the Website and Forums forum, but they are in the index in KimT's sig.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

I voted Yes, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it actually is a good idea. It would be nice because it would eliminate the uncertainty I have every time I go to post an animation here. I never feel as though I'm posting it to the right forum. Especially since some of my movies are easily put into a theme, so I end up going to "Other" a lot. Consequently I haven't felt like I am really part of the one the theme communities since I'm always jumping around. This forum would be a place to belong. It also might encourage more people to post brickfilms here as it would give them a specific place to do so.

But on the other hand, I already have Bricks in Motion (and Brickfilms to a lesser extent) for that purpose. The reason I joined Eurobricks was not to be part of yet another brickfilming community. I joined it specifically because it was a more general Lego community. I like the fact that it's divided by theme and thus people who might not otherwise have seen my film will, and also I'll see MOCs I wouldn't have seen if I'd stayed at BiM. If there is a specific brickfilming forum created here, it's likely that it will mostly be frequented just by people making brickfilms and be cut off from the rest of Eurobricks. Also I get the impression that the brickfilming segment of Eurobricks is a relatively small fraction, so it might not be worth it.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I disagree with myself. *huh*

True, fallentomato, but which community out of Brickfilms.com/ Bricks in Motion or Eurobricks do you think is the most friendly toward its users?

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Well, BricksinMotion is a pretty family friendly website. Despite some odd humor and such, it's friendlier than BF.com, even though it's the same community.

Now compare it to Eurobricks. What is your opinion now?

Even though they are on different levels...

Both are friendly places to be :classic:

Good reply. :thumbup:

Anyway, the tutorial management list has moved to the first post.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Good reply. :thumbup:

Anyway, the tutorial management list:

Brickfilming Tutorial Management List

Techniques

Walking at 24fps - ????

Walking at 15fps - Captain Zuloo

Walking at 10fps -????

Running - ????

Jumping - ????

Animation

Basic Animation for Windows on SMA - Captain Zuloo

Advanced Animation for Windows on SMA - ????

Basic Animation for Windows on AnimatorDV - ????

Advanced Animation for Windows on AnimatorDV - ????

Basic Animation for Mac on Frame by Frame - ????

Advanced Animation for Mac on Frame by Frame - ????

Editing

Editing for Windows on Windows Movie Maker - Captain Zuloo

Editing for Mac on iMovie - ????

Visual Effects

Coming Soon - there is a fair lot to get through.

All of the above programs are free for you to use in your brickfilms.

We need more people to make some tutorials! If you would like to do a tutorial for something either on the list or something else, reply in this thread letting me know and I'll add you to the list.

I would be glad to contribute to tutorials for,

Walking at 10fps -????

Running - ????

Jumping - ????

Basic Animation for Mac on Frame by Frame - ????

Advanced Animation for Mac on Frame by Frame - (Honestly, Frame by frame has nothing advanced, a basic tutorial can cover the entire program)

Editing for Mac on iMovie - ????

Last, at the request of Captain Zuloo, I am already working on a Basic Animation for Mac on Frame by Frame tutorial, expect it in the next few days.

Edited by SupremeCommmanderGrievous

Hmm, animating at 10 FPS seems odd. If you can do it well, kudos! 15 FPS seems to always produce good results.

While the animation is not as good, 10 fps lends itself very well to natural-looking walking. 10 fps is also very easy to animate for beginners, as it is simply very intuitive. Last, some visual effects take significantly more time to create at 15fps, sometimes enough of a difference to determine wether or not you can use a certain visual effect at all.

If you want an example, my brickfilm,

(link also in my sig), was filmed entirely at 10fps. Edited by SupremeCommmanderGrievous

Being an active member of the online brickfilming community, I thought I should make a long post to explain my views on this subject.

I have been bugging certain admins for a period of time now about perhaps adding a brickfilm forum to Eurobricks as I know there are quite a few brickfilmers among us, and I thought I would see what the Eurobricks community would think about the idea.

And before you ask "What about Brickfilms.com?", I think that costs money to add films to their directory - something the Eurobricks forum would not.

So speak up, and voice your thoughts! I hope you share the same opinion as I do. :classic:

Captain Zuloo

It doesn't cost money to add films to the Brickfilms.com directory, well at least it didn't. Since the new administration has come along, enraging most of the community with its poor communication and unfair action, the directory has been locked by them to avoid vandalism. (see this for more information) Most of the community has migrated to Bricks in Motion, where a new website is currently being built. It will have a new directory there when it is finished in the next one or two months.

I think they should get their own opinion. There aren't that many brickfilms being posted here as there is no forum. I think it would attract more members too. And besides, I probably shouldn't say this, but I think EB is a much more friendly and welcoming community than brickfilms.com.

Do you mean the current community at Brickfilms.com? I'm not surprised, there's no one there to welcome you and be friendly, except the occasional troll. The original brickfilms community (now at Bricks In Motion) are a great bunch of guys and gals, although it's a smaller group than here at EB. As the old saying within the brickfilming community goes, "It's not just a cult, it's a family". If you'd like to join us and share your films, we would welcome you with open arms!

Sounds like a plan. But where should we post these tutorials?

I'd just like to say here that there is already a large repository of tutorials and stuff here. It was written by the brickfilms community before we all moved to BiM. And when BiM is finished, a new tutorial section will be built there!

I voted Yes, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure if it actually is a good idea. It would be nice because it would eliminate the uncertainty I have every time I go to post an animation here. I never feel as though I'm posting it to the right forum. Especially since some of my movies are easily put into a theme, so I end up going to "Other" a lot. Consequently I haven't felt like I am really part of the one the theme communities since I'm always jumping around. This forum would be a place to belong. It also might encourage more people to post brickfilms here as it would give them a specific place to do so.

But on the other hand, I already have Bricks in Motion (and Brickfilms to a lesser extent) for that purpose. The reason I joined Eurobricks was not to be part of yet another brickfilming community. I joined it specifically because it was a more general Lego community. I like the fact that it's divided by theme and thus people who might not otherwise have seen my film will, and also I'll see MOCs I wouldn't have seen if I'd stayed at BiM. If there is a specific brickfilming forum created here, it's likely that it will mostly be frequented just by people making brickfilms and be cut off from the rest of Eurobricks. Also I get the impression that the brickfilming segment of Eurobricks is a relatively small fraction, so it might not be worth it.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I disagree with myself. *huh*

Yeah, EB is more about LEGO than brickfilming, and brickfilming is really more about animation than LEGO. Think about it, is claymation really more about plasticine, or the story it's telling?

By making a brickfilming forum here, you're going to make a place for EBers to share their films and talk about brickfilming, but don't expect the BiM members to migrate here to talk about it too. We have our own forum dedicated to LEGO, but I don't see many EBers around there. If you're really interested in becoming a better brickfilmer, then it'd be a good idea to come over to BiM, as there are a lot of really experienced brickfilmers there who can give you a lot of advice. By learning about brickfilming here only, you're not going to have access to this treasure trove of information.

I am, and have been for a while, a member of BiM, but I really think this place could benefit from a brickfilm forum. Because as EB is my LEGO forum of choice and IMO the nicest community, even crap brickfilms will be applauded here. But thanks for your comment and I'm glad you took the time to inform us of the shady management of Brickfilms.com.