Sign in to follow this  
sam89

2004/2005 Sets and discussion thread

I think you seem to be a little harsh on the sets, but then that is your opinion. I like them all, excpet for the Ultimate Lightsaber Duel.

My two cents:

7250 - 9/10, best of the bunch. Would look nice next to an AT-AT.

7251 - bleh.

7252 - Ugly (note the capital "U").

7255 - bleh; lots of premolds.

7256 - 8/10; I like Ani's fighter; that droid thing gets a bleh.

7257 - bleh.

7258 - looks like a Star Wars version of a Designer Insect Pack.

7259 - 7/10; cross between X-wing and RGS, and not as good as either.

7260 - 7/10 - as mentioned previously I too like the fact that the catamaran in built not premolded but overall the set is not very impressive.

7261 - 7/10; big but ugly. These guys should get style tips from the Mtron folks.

Overall, and especially compared to classic star wars designs, these are lacking aesthetically, although more than likely that has to do with Lucas and not Lego.

I find you a little harsh here... Don't forget those are pre-versions.

I never judge a set properly until i have the set in hand, sometimes theres little details to a set that cant be seen in a picture that greatly increases its worth.

I never judge a set properly until i have the set in hand, sometimes theres little details to a set that cant be seen in a picture that greatly increases its worth.

Yeah, you can't ever tell until you have it in your hand. I did not care for the new Alpha team stuff until I built every new set at work. The Alpha Team sets look great in person.

Hi all, I see I am in the minority here :) .

I didn't mean to be harsh - but to me they don't look an attractive bunch. Somehow I don't picture the average kid nagging his parents to buy these.

I don't think TLC has anything to do with it - these sets are probably good representations of their screen models. I think it is the Lucasfilm models that are probably ugly to begin with. That being said, the sets will probably be good for parts.

Ideally, I would buy and build every set before passing judgment on it. But I don't have that kind of dinero. So, pictures are important in choosing what to buy.

Well let's wait for big final pics then ;) I also think we have to watch the movie to make a good decisions. Sets are good if they are making us dream. Maybe the X-Wing would have beeing a big flop it has been made as a set without any star wars movie to support it 8-|

Okay, here are my thoughts... ;)

7258:

Erm....Ugly.... wierd... and ugly.... and wierd..... Bleh.....

Hi all, I see I am in the minority here :)

No, I agree with you. In fact, I think your scores were generous; in absolute terms, "7/10" is a good score - think about it, there is a lot more scope for it to be worse than there is for it to be better !

So make that a minority of two. :P

Ian.

What I don't like (besides the general design in a few cases [--> Wookiee Attack]) at the new sets are the colors... This light blue vehicles are looking somehow.... ridiculous.... Especially after seing the tan prototype of the trade fed vehicle in wookiee attack.... :/

Well i suspect that lego are just copying the colours of the vehicles from ep 3 so theyve probably got it right, but i dont really like the light blue either they look like they belong in the alpha team range.

I don't think TLC has anything to do with it - these sets are probably good representations of their screen models.  I think it is the Lucasfilm models that are probably ugly to begin with.  That being said, the sets will probably be good for parts.

Actually, that's not exactly how it works. :/

TLC bases all the sets on the concept designs. These can differ greatly with what we get to see on screen.

Lucasfilm probably provided the concept sketches pretty soon after George approved them. It takes quite a while to develop a set, even if there is an existing real life model to base it on.

Was TLC to get the finalized designs, they would be very hard pressed to deliver new sets in concert with the movie. Also, any "leaked" pictures could give away things Lucasfilm wants to keep a suprise.

In any case, I'm gonna get all of them.

hello one and all,

I think the sets look quite fun and will certainly engage the imagination of the targeted audience.

My faves are 7250, 7251 and 7256

Im still not convinced by skin tones but hey.

Anyhow, I dont collect prequels so I guess it doesnt bother me whether these sets are any good, all I ask is that they get the trilogy right.

Well I think the last movie will bring back the story together so it might make you like the new trilogy a little bit more. :)

Ep. 3 should be great, and so far looks great. I just hope that Ep. 3 does not have to rush things to make up for Episodes 1&2.

Well let's see. I was disappointed that Lucas said he won't do episode 7 8 9, but now I feel comfortable with his decision :P

Yes i think he made the right desicion eps 7,8 and 9 would be really stretching out abit long, i believe that they are going to do some sort of tv show but i havent heard what type it will be.

3 words: Bley Parts Pack.

And that's enough reason for me to buy it.

The added Clone is just extra incentive... hopefully it doesn't end up like the battle droid carrier... I'm going to get a couple of these just in case. Cheap clones, good parts.... almost as sweet a deal as that carrier was.

To be honest i want loads just for the troopers so i expect that alot of the walkers will be used for customs :)

TV show?

That could either be the best decision ever made, or the worst thing to come to the small screen.

I'll be looking forward to any news on this front.

To be honest i want loads just for the troopers so i expect that alot of the walkers will be used for customs :)

Same here, I will keep one whole but buy more just for the troopers. The other bricks will be added to the rest of my spare parts collection for future MOCs. :D

Well let's see. I was disappointed that Lucas said he won't do episode 7 8 9, but now I feel comfortable with his decision :P

Yeah, but don't rule it out. Lucas is known for changing his mind (How many versions of SW are now out there?). He had said once before that he would not do 7,8 & 9, then later said it may happen. Who knows. I don't think he can leave things alone. After Ep. 3 he will get bored and want to screw more things up by making these films. |-/ ;)

Regarding the tv show i have heard rumors that it will be set between the end of ep3 and the start of ep4, but thats all, no word yet on wheather it will be a live action series or a cartoon.