Posted (edited)

Nothing great, just a small MOC - when I saw the classic boathull in white for the first time I knew I had to use it as a little river steamer. So I built the African Queen piloted by Humphrey Breese.

I hope you like it. Critics and comments are welcome!

0_0109

0_0111

0_0110

Background story to Humprey Breese:

Edited by The Reader

Very nice, @The Reader!  I also noticed that white hull piece in the new Animal Crossing sets and planned to make a similar small steamer like yours.

Your African Queen is reminiscent of one of my favorite sets, the Adventurers set 7410 Jungle River.  The boiler and stack are well designed and a nice upgrade from the 7410 set.  The top of the stack looks great with the inverted cone over the 1x1 round tile with bar/pin holder.  I like the inclusion of the gauge and handwheel, both as a reference to a real boiler and a reference to original Adventurers steamer sets.  The fully supported awning covering the stern of the boat is more ideal than just the windshield on the 7410 set.  Adding a bench at the stern is also an excellent upgrade.

I also really like your choices for the minifigure in all aspects.  This guy would make a great companion to or updated version of Gabarro, though he would need a blue bandana to really be a Gabarro update, in my opinion (at least a bandana of any color).

All-in-all, I think you did a great job with such relatively small space and number of pieces!  The only thing missing is a few 1x1 tiles or plates for coal in the barrel.

Posted (edited)

@SlegengrThank you very much for your kind words and your detailed feedback.

Yes, it's quite difficult to fit details in that small boathull. I know that some guys over in the Pirates forum make great sailing vessels with that boathull but steamers are seldom. TLG did only rowing vessels, a few sailing vessels and the flying boat in set 6494 "Mystic Mountain Time Lab" - and the aforementioned set 7410 which is apparently the only steamer with that boathull made by TLG. I love set 7410 but the boiler and stack are a bit massive and lack details.

I will try the bandana for Humphrey and I will add some black 1x1 plates.

Actually inside the black "post box" aka the boiler are some trans red 1x1 round plates as fire.

So thanks again!

Edited by The Reader

2 hours ago, The Reader said:

< Actually inside the black "post box" aka the boiler are some trans red 1x1 round plates as fire. >

Excellent!  A stock of coal yet to be burned would really complete this steamer.

...Now if there were just a simple way to use a light brick to give real glow inside the furnace of the boiler... :sweet:

On 5/4/2024 at 12:57 AM, Slegengr said:

a light brick to give real glow inside the furnace of the boiler

Hm, that's a task for the next MOC!

Nicely done. As you mentioned, putting all the details into a small boat hull is hard. Kudos on making it work.