Sjoeland

Controlling switches with geekservos?

Hello! Complete newbie here (should probably introduce myself over in that thread) preparing for my first proper layout.

Thing is, I want to control the switches remotely, and having some previous knowledge with Arduino programming and robotics, geekservos seemed like an amazing and easily scalable solution to that.

However, I'm really struggling with the whole building aspect - the mounting points on the servo just never seem to line up with the input on the switch, and all my attempts at shifting it just end up with the build being too weak to handle the force of the servo.

For reference, this is roughly the design I'm currently working with: 

I picked it because it sits flat, as with my current budget I don't want to do MILS (though I did experiment with it, didn't get it to work, but mounting was easier).

For mounting the servo, I first just connected it straight to the switch, with tiles under the servo to prohibit it from moving. This was too weak. My second attempt was to fix the servo to a plate with holes using axles with stops, but here I ran into the issue that the output of the servo is offset by half a stud. Also, just to be clear, for it to sit flat I'm mounting the servo on it's side, so the output it horisontal.

There are probably a few more things I could try (gearing, more jumpers etc.), but asking on the forums if someone else has had any luck seemed the wisest thing to do.

You need to talk to Battery Powered Bricks on Youtube. This just one of his many helpful videos:   

20 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

You need to talk to Battery Powered Bricks on Youtube. 

I've seen so many of his videos, been a big inspiration for me in starting out with all of this.

...but his automated setups seem to aim at 100% LEGO (or knock-offs for parts that are hard or expensive to source), whereas I'm using geekservos and regular electronics.

If you just want to move it by 1/2 stud, maybe use the 1x5 plates with an axle hole in the middle instead of technic plates.  I'm not certain but I think they also have stronger clutch on the underside than standard plates.

Years ago I did something with SG90 servo motor and 3D printing. The trick was setting the angles the servo motor to turn to.  It could probably be made to take up less space with shorter arms.

servoswitch.jpg

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Wow @Ludo! Somehow that video flew under my radar, but it's precisely what I've been looking for.

And @dr_spock, I just wanna say that before I knew about geekservos, I did in fact plan to go with your design.

@Sjoeland

I will order some 9g Geekservos, but keep attention to what kind you buy!

See: https://www.robotshop.com/collections/servo-motors as example.

• The RED one is a motor, NO Servomotor. It has only 2 wires.
  • The Grey and Lime motors are Servomotors with a different angle (270° and 360°).

If anyone is interested in building virtual with Studio or LDraw, you can find files on the site from Philippe Hurbain.

see: https://philohome.com/studio/packs.htm and go to the bottom (Third Party motors pack)

They includes Geekservo servomotors and motors, mechanically compatible with LEGO, Circuit Cubes Cubit motor, and CADA micro motor.

I still use MLCad and found a little error in the 2 Cirquit Cube files, t1064c01.dat and t1064c02.dat

You need to change the first line in the header.

The original header is like:

0 | Circuit Cubes Cubit Motor Body
0 Name: t1064c01.dat
0 Author: Philippe Hurbain [Philo]

and need to be changed to (remove the | character and one space):

0 Circuit Cubes Cubit Motor Body
0 Name: t1064c01.dat
0 Author: Philippe Hurbain [Philo]

I notified Philippe abouth this error.

An other 'issue' is where those parts can be found in MLCad.

The Geekservo motor can be found in the 'directory' Electric.

The other motors (CADA & Cirquit Cube) can be found in the 'directory' Other Parts\C

I notified Philippe also for this.

Because they are all Electrical components they should be all in the 'directory' Electric.

Success

Ludo