Kerry3016

Confusing kit layout

Good Morning Folks. I recently got a copy of the Porsche 911 RSR kit # 42096. When I opened the box and started to go through the contents it occurred to me that the bags were not numbered. I checked the QR codes on the bags hoping for an answer but only found a telephone number. 617-2061. Upon looking further I discovered that in order to retrieve the seven different parts to do the first two steps I will have to open six of the bags. This is very odd to me and certainly not up to LEGO's usual organizational standards. I emailed LEGO.com three days ago and they have not yet replied. Has anyone else run into this issue? This is a first for me.

Numbered bags haven't always been the default voor Lego sets. In fact, it has been on and off multiple times in the past (talking from memory here though)

42096, according to Bricklink, is from 2019 (5 years ago) and the bag numbering that seems default now everywhere, probably wasn't used for all themes back then.

You probably won't get much response when asking about a set from 5 years back, since the shelf life of sets is usually much shorter than that. I expect that 42096 is already out of production for a while and simply not the focus of attention anymore.

So, just sort the parts, I guess :)

Probably the best solution for you is to separate the parts by type and color. It sucks but it works.

I have the building instructions in book form and there is no reference to bag numbers. In all of the years that I've been buying LEGO kits I've never seen this, ergo my hesitation in starting this one. It looks like I'll be taking the advice of LEGO Tom  and separating all of the pieces by size, class and color. Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this post and have a great day.

Yes, that isn't a bad idea, I do it even with numbered bags, as most bags were not numbered, so long ago. Plus numbered bags only work the first time, sadly.

11 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Yes, that isn't a bad idea, I do it even with numbered bags, as most bags were not numbered, so long ago. Plus numbered bags only work the first time, sadly.

I do the same with parts from numbered bags. I have two size plastic tubs that I use. I do mostly Technic sets and use the small tubs for the various types of pins and the larger ones for bigger parts. I separate them out by color and in the event I don't have enough tubs/space, put contrasting colors together such as black/white, red/yellow, etc. It has worked pretty well for me.

I grew up long before numbered bags were a thing. As people said before, just spend a moment to sort everything and you'll be totally fine.

the Medieval Market Village was an experience to build, that was pre numbered bags I recall. :laugh:

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

the Medieval Market Village was an experience to build, that was pre numbered bags I recall. :laugh:

It certainly was, though in the end it was worth all the stress!