sam32986497

How to slow down lego motors without gears

Hello everyone 

how can i slow down lego motors without gears or a speed control remote (as this has to be set every time).

my motor is an  l motor, but it is so fast and smells bad so i was also wondering if there are any other slower lego pf motots

Thanks,

Sam

You can use a lower voltage by using a variable resistor but that is similar to using a speed controller. What smells bad? Is it the motor itself or what it is controlling? If it is the motor then gears won't help. But if it is because whatever machine you have built is running too fast and smelling plasticky, then gears will help.

Sorry @1963maniac, I should've been more clear. I have the Lego power functions L motor

Thank you @MAB for your reply.

The motors are connected to a power functions receiver Connected to a battery box.

Upon turning it on the remote I am using is making the motors go fast and smell bad .

I tried using gears to no avail.

Are you using the right voltage batteries? Motors shouldn't smell bad when running. Gears won't help if it is the motor at fault. The motor still runs at the same speed, the gears just affect the rotational speed of anything downstream from the gear.

yes i am.

i looked into my motors and it turns out i may have gotten a bad batch.

Do you think there is a way to slow it down with a 9v train controller maybye?

1 hour ago, sam32986497 said:

Upon turning it on the remote I am using

Which remote are you using? The PF "bang-bang" = full forward, stop, full reverse type (#8885)?

There is another PF remote with dials (#8879); you can set the power that goes to the motor via the PF receiver in several steps. The receiver actually does not change the voltage that goes to the motor, but quickly switches the output on/off (which creates a squeaky sound). This is favorable to set the rpm of the drive axle of the motor (called pulse width modulation, PWM, but I am sure you know that).

Best,
Thorsten

25 minutes ago, sam32986497 said:

Do you think there is a way to slow it down with a 9v train controller maybye?

Forgot: Yes, that will work, but you need the PF/9V conversion cable. This controller actually changes the output voltage going to the motor

I have used dummy batteries to slowdown motors. 5 x AA rather than 6 may be enough. You can get dummy AA or AAA batteries from Amazon etc.

Thanks @idlemarvel that would probably work, but is it enough ok to connect to other components from the battery box with dummy batteries, or should I connect to other components with a different battery box?

@dr_spock Oh man I should've mentioned this earlier. I used to have some, but then gave them to a friend not thinking I would need them. But now I do so no, they are not LEGO.

3 hours ago, sam32986497 said:

Thanks @idlemarvel that would probably work, but is it enough ok to connect to other components from the battery box with dummy batteries, or should I connect to other components with a different battery box?

I should think so - they're just going to get lower voltage, like the batteries are already running down.

19 hours ago, sam32986497 said:

@dr_spock Oh man I should've mentioned this earlier. I used to have some, but then gave them to a friend not thinking I would need them. But now I do so no, they are not LEGO.

This can be a problem with fakes / copies. The components used to make them cheaper might not be very good quality. It is probably best to buy some decent ones if the non-LEGO ones are causing you a problem.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:31 AM, sam32986497 said:

It could be they put lower voltage rated motors in those clone L motors. Running them at the higher LEGO spec voltage would make them spin much faster and burn them out eventually.

The dummy battery would take the place of one or more of the real batteries in the battery box.  You can make them with a wooden dowel cut to length of a AA battery and running a wire from one end to the end of the dowel.

dummybattery.jpg