Sign in to follow this  
mihao

[MOC] 1:8 Aston Martin Vulcan

Posted (edited)

It's been a while since my last post, and this time I bring you my most recent MOC, a 1:8 scale Aston Martin Vulcan. The actual size is 58cm long, 24cm wide, and 13cm tall.

800x450.JPG

800x450.JPG

800x450.JPG

800x450.JPG

This MOC is designed to be a combination of a static version and a dynamic version, meaning dynamic parts (motors, lights, and battery) can be directly mounted to the static version and it can run. In order to achieve this, I designed it in a way that the entire body can be completely detached from the frame. This has been a standard for my recent several 1:8 MOCs. Another significant benefit of this design choice is the ease of fixing issues deep down in the frame without needing to break down the whole body.

800x472.png

800x522.png

Given that this car has a V12 engine at the front and is a rear-wheel-drive car, the drivetrain from the rear wheels to the engine has to collide with the HOG handler because both of them will go through the central line of the frame. My solution for this is to use a freewheel (in blue) to cross, as depicted in the following picture.

800x424.png

I tried my best to reduce the size of the MOC, but it's still very big and very heavy. In order to make it motorized with changing speed, this is the gearbox I came up with.

800x436.png

The orange part can slide to change gear ratio between 0.6 (12/20) to 1.67 (20/12). The pink 1x2 thin lift arms will hold it in position. Two buggy motors will be mounted on both sides of the top-most orange 5x7 frame.

I have to use a pair of gear to reduce the speed and increase torque for each buggy motor before connecting into the 5x7 frame. I experimented with different pairs, and the only feasible one is still the 12-tooth and the 20-tooth, which can provide enough torque to kick off the car from a stationary state but not too much to grind the gears. Here is a video about how it runs with the high gear.

Here is the full feature list of this MOC:

1. Independent suspension on all wheels.
  2. A functioning steering wheel and HOG (Hand of God).
  3. An openable hood.
  4. Doors that swing open with a spring lock.
  5. A working V12 engine.
  6. Two-speed gearbox.
  7. Detachable body from the frame.

And here is the RB link for this project

LEGO MOC 1:8 Aston Martin Vulcan Static Version by Lego__Bee | Rebrickable - Build with LEGO

I hope you enjoy seeing this project come to life as much as I enjoyed building it.

Thanks!

Edited by mihao

Posted (edited)

Great work! I really like the functions but what I like the most is the overall shape accuracy, which is hard to reproduce with Lego even at a large scale.

And I hope we will see you more often ;)

Edited by Lixander

On 3/14/2024 at 11:51 PM, Lixander said:

Great work! I really like the functions but what I like the most is the overall shape accuracy, which is hard to reproduce with Lego even at a large scale.

And I hope we will see you more often ;)

True, some angle is not easy to achieve, so I have to be creative. I'll try posting more often. Thanks!

On 3/16/2024 at 7:31 AM, damian_kane_iv said:

Wow the bodywork looks both great and light-weight. Functions are nice too

Thanks! Need to minimize the weight so this big thing can actually run with motor.