Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 79016 Attack on Lake-town

Here is my review on LEGO The Hobbit 79016 Attack on Lake-town:

THE GOOD:

• 5 x great minifigures!
  • Interesting use of parts/elements for the door handle on the first level.

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• It looks empty in today's standard.
  • The swinging barrel while is cool, it can't knock minifigures off the dock.

After 9 years in the backlog, I finally decided to open and build this.  Although I had a good building experience, I must admit the end result is somewhat simple compared to today's standard.  It's fun play set with lots of space to place minifigures but could have added one or two interior details.   Having said that, the door handle has a very interesting used of parts.  With 3 action features, this is still primary a play set.  I only realised this theme or 2014 introduced the spring load shooter, while the crossbow is huge, it lacks angle adjustment.  Same with the the barrel as it cannot knock off any minifigures.  The minifigures are great though with very detailed print.  And having 5 minifigures in set of this size is very generous.  I'm also glad none of the brown pieces break given this has been in storage since I bought it.  Will I recommend this?  Well if you are a fan of this theme then yes but the current after market price for new one is pretty steep, so only when you find a reasonable one.  Having said that, this set has no stickers, so you may just be able to build your own with spare parts unless you are after the minifigures.

I don't think it is that simple compared with modern sets. Compare it to this 2024 set ... (313 pieces $30 vs 350 pieces $38). 

76426-1.jpg?202309260228 They are very similar in standard and style. Obviously both are simple compared to much larger and more expensive sets.

5 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't think it is that simple compared with modern sets. Compare it to this 2024 set ... (313 pieces $30 vs 350 pieces $38). 

the use of small pieces for the additional textures is very noticeable.  May be it just me?    

5 hours ago, Pchan1983 said:

the use of small pieces for the additional textures is very noticeable.  May be it just me?    

Not just you, seems to be a thing with many LEGO sets now, especially 1x1 studs and cheese slopes seem to be used a lot as just extra little filler.

In case of that harry potter set, definately the water edge cheese slopes, the little mushroom, the cow horns in the wall, etc.