StarBricks

[MOC] SB00801 AS.Project (MOC Sandtrooper UCS)

February 7, 2024
Age advances, commitments increase and health is no longer that of one's 20s.
This year has also been busy, but I still managed to find the time to give shape and life to my new creation.

“LOOK SIR DROIDS”
SA-Project - SB00801

UCS scale MOC of a sandtrooper first appeared in 1977's “Star Wars Episode IV – A New Hope”.
It is one of the first scenes in the dunes of the planet Tatooine, where the two droids escape the empire.
I remember that as a child I was struck by these strange troopers who wore dirty armor and a large black backpack on their shoulders. Another eye-catching detail that drove me crazy was the orange pauldron on the right shoulder.

I've been wanting to make a MOC of a stormtrooper for a long time and the inspiration to make this sandtrooper came to me this summer while watching episode IV.

A careful study of anatomy, posture and proportions allowed me to immortalize it
at the precise moment in which, kneeling, he finds a ring-shaped piece lost by the droids in the sand.

In order to achieve it I had to mix many techniques which are all legal anyway. the internal exoskeleton is made mostly with technic elements which gave me the possibility of creating a solid and effective load-bearing structure.
The visible portions were created with classic brick techniques which, as you will have understood by now, I prefer to technic panels with strange shapes.

I spent a lot of time studying and reproducing all the details; I'm very happy with how the backpack (which is made up of 788 pieces) and the helmet (which is made up of 346 pieces) turned out.
A small mention also goes to the binoculars which are held by the right hand (105 pieces).
The MOC is in perfect scale with the K-Project and the SH-Project; it is made up of 5106 bricks + 3 minifigs and is completely modular.

It weighs approximately 5 kg and measures 32 cm wide, 42 cm deep and 47 cm high (including the base).
I hope you enjoy.

Your transition from vehicles to figures while maintaining accuracy of the model you’re portraying has showcased how brilliant a builder you are. Looks fantastic Mirko! 

Happy Birthday Mirko. Fantastic MOC, it looks so great! Now make quick instructions:laugh:

4 hours ago, KevinMD said:

Your transition from vehicles to figures while maintaining accuracy of the model you’re portraying has showcased how brilliant a builder you are. Looks fantastic Mirko! 

Hi KevinMD thanks for the compliments. In fact I have more fun modeling human bodies to which I can give particular postures... I feel like I'm giving them a soul

2 hours ago, Fuchs said:

Happy Birthday Mirko. Fantastic MOC, it looks so great! Now make quick instructions:laugh:

2 hours ago, Fuchs said:

Hi Fuchs, thank you very much for the good wishes.

Mirko,

Please put me on whatever waitlist you have, this will go great with my K2SO! As always your creations are fantastic!

James

@StarBricks - I say this with great respect for your other works Mirko, but this may just be my favourite yet!

I think it's possibly because anyone of a certain age (I was 11years old when Episode IV was released) remembers vividly seeing the scene you have described for the first time.

It perfectly captures not only that moment in the film, but a point in so many of our lives. For me it was the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road, London in 1977.

It seems incredible that the UK had to wait so long before we could see it.

19 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

@StarBricks - I say this with great respect for your other works Mirko, but this may just be my favourite yet!

I think it's possibly because anyone of a certain age (I was 11years old when Episode IV was released) remembers vividly seeing the scene you have described for the first time.

It perfectly captures not only that moment in the film, but a point in so many of our lives. For me it was the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road, London in 1977.

It seems incredible that the UK had to wait so long before we could see it. 

I'm happy to hear these words. Each of my works is the result of an emotion I felt while watching films and each one has a different emotion.
In the specific case of the AS-Project I wanted to immortalize that moment that has remained imprinted in my mind since 1977.
I remember that as a child I wondered what they carried in those backpacks that they carried on their shoulders. And I was very curious about the orange shoulder strap..
With this work I decided to change direction: instead of making the MOC articulated as in the case of the K-Project and partly of the SH-Project (arms, torso and head moving), I decided to focus more on the "dynamism" of the pose .
In my opinion, this gives the MOC a soul and makes it "alive". I don't know if I managed to convey this feeling, but when I look at it I think this.