AmperZand

Sets and MOCs - Do you replace parts with redesigned ones?

When LEGO releases new parts that are more appropriate than existing ones, do you update your sets or MOCs with those new parts?

For example, in 76202 Wolverine Mech, the legs are offset with one slightly in front of the other because there was no part at the time of the set's release that allowed you to have both hips in line. With the release of the 1 x 2 plate with ball connectors at both short ends (below), that's no longer the case. 

3170.png 

I have updated my mech with that part (and a 1 x 2 plate in dark bley to fill the gap).

I also replaced the mech's finger and thumb parts with a bunch of these that are also new-ish:

3171.png

Do you update sets/MOCs or do you leave them as they are?

Well, I am not that patient :pir_laugh2:

Sooo many times, TLG released a piece that I desperately wanted "back then". "Then" = about 1996, when I got back into the hobby, which started in 1965, when I was 3 years old. I was taking a "pause" between about 1978 and 1996, just to find out what happened in between ;)

And, since about 2010 I just cut and paste "remodel", to get what I need. Mainly small pieces that is, 9V track as well (TLG simply abandoned ages ago ^^) - and panels missing holes for LEDs and this and that. Only after trying hard. And with much love to do it right.

And then ... TLG releases that part I needed so much - back then. So no, I don't replace desperately needed parts (at the time), I make them.

Best,
Thorsten

For updating official sets, I've only done this once with the 6894 Blacktron Invader.  I replaced the hinges on the back section (The ones holding the trans-red plates) with the more modern locking versions. The original hinges are notoriously week and prone to breaking easily. the locking version doesn't look noticeably different on the set and it allows the trans-red plates to be held in place better. The set can be displayed more dynamically and more like the box art and official pics of the set.

Original hinges: 4275b and 4276b

replacement hinges: 44301 and 44302

I suppose it depends a lot on the model. If it has notorious flaws or weaknesses or just things that bug me, I do tend to fix them. But I rarely alter the design itself.
Made an exception with the 10497 Galaxy Explorer, smoothening the top with all the exposed studs and the nose a bit (inspired by someone else's design actually).

19 hours ago, JesseNight said:

I suppose it depends a lot on the model. If it has notorious flaws or weaknesses or just things that bug me, I do tend to fix them. But I rarely alter the design itself.
Made an exception with the 10497 Galaxy Explorer, smoothening the top with all the exposed studs and the nose a bit (inspired by someone else's design actually).

Curious what you did on 10497. Do you have pics or can you describe what you did?

I haven't actually built it yet, awaiting the last Bricklink orders to come in. I could make some pics of it in Studio.
First the nose. The 2 studs wide tiles that just stop 1 stud from the front, I extended with a 66956 pointed wedge. Did a small alteration on the underside too to make it match.
Second is the top part on the rear, between the rear canopy and the big blue rear wing on top. I rounded the edges and put some tiles and grilles on top to make it appear more smoothly.
Last changes I did were replace a few off-color parts that kept bugging me. Like the 2 yellow 1x6 plates that I can still see sticking out next to the beds inside (replaced by blue), and some of the red technic parts underneath around the landing gear that would be very visible on a stand. Also closed the visible open hole between and just behind the 2 front seats in the cockpit.

These mods were heavily inspired by someone else's mods I saw on a blog... I need to find it again so I can credit them properly.

I never update my MOCs, I try to bring them to perfection initially. And I think that the essence of MOCs is to convey the shape of the model as correctly as possible, using a limited set of details (even if there are a lot of them). That's the interest.

I hope I explained it clearly. :ugh: