Warning: If you are easily upset by illegal building techniques turn back now!

About three decades after my first attempt I finally managed to create a roller coaster using Technic. Like a real roller coaster it's "gravity powered", though I couldn't make it to run a full round without the "booster" in the middle.

Station:

Top of the lift hill:

First hill / turn:

This was probably one of the hardest pieces, creating a "backbone" in a way that the track would follow this nice curved decent:

Entering the booster section:

S-bend after the booster:

Same location, different angle:

On the final hill:

Last small hill, last turn, and back in the station:

Front car, inspired by one of my all time favorite roller coaster:

And this is how the wheels look:

Video!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/909478768?h=fca928686e

Edited by m00se
bad video link

Dude, this is so awesome! It almost feels like we are taking a ride :grin:. Congrats on the build, it's seriously impressive.

Holy Smokes,

this is insane(ly nice) - and yes, as others said: As if one would ride this beauty.

I like the complexity of the entire structure!!!

Thanks a lot for sharing :pir-stareyes:

Best,
Thorsten

Thanks for the feedback.

Next project will be Roller Coaster v2. From what I've learned building this I think there's still a lot of room for improving the system so that a more realistic one should be possible.

This is brilliant!  I really love what you've done with version 1 and looking forward even more to what you do with version 2!

Is the train modelled on a Schwarzkopf by the way? 

Also may i suggest that when it comes to version 2, that the curve/dip at the bottom of the first steep drop, is increased in diameter?  As that looks to be the main issue for the coaster loosing so much speed. I think if you addressed that and made the transition far less severe and less aggressive, (which I'm sure you've already contemplated), then it should/ may make the entire circuit without the need for the additional powered booster hill. 

Anyway that aside i love the techniques you've used to achieved what you have so far, and I'm also curious to see whether you'll ever try doing an inverted coaster using similar techniques. PS, the sound of the lift hill had me convinced you'd actually used a real life recording of a real coaster, fantastic! :) 

13 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

Is the train modelled on a Schwarzkopf by the way?

Ah, a man of culture!

looping_star_04.500x665.jpg

13 minutes ago, Dazzzy said:

Also may i suggest that when it comes to version 2, that the curve/dip at the bottom of the first steep drop, is increased in diameter?  As that looks to be the main issue for the coaster loosing so much speed. I think if you addressed that and made the transition far less severe and less aggressive, (which I'm sure you've already contemplated), then it should/ may make the entire circuit without the need for the additional powered booster hill.

You're right about that, the diameter is too small so probably putting more stress on the wheels which will limit their effectiveness. Also I've learned how important it is to make sure that the track should not move (it still does at that point). All energy that goes to track moving is wasted.

For v2 I'm thinking about trying to recreate (more or less) Oblivion from Alton Towers.

OMG that would be amazing!  Oblivion would be perfect, plus the layout is short and sweet and well suited to your technique of track design! 

And yes sir, Looping star, fine vintage, man!   Although I've never had the pleasure of riding it, I've rode Oblivion a few times and still love it to this day!  And yes indeed i hear you about track strength being a very important aspect too. Cannot wait to see version 2! :D