Reker1000000

Sealed 12V accessories unboxing (7858, 7859, 7861, 7862)

Hey Eurobricks,

It's been a bit since I posted - I've been super busy and haven't had much time for content creation. However, I've made some great purchases recently including a 7725 with DK/S/SF box, a 7760 in near-new condition, a rare poster, and recently, several sealed accessories from a US seller! I got them from eBay for good prices, not much more than used prices for these sets on Bricklink. I bought a set of points (7858 + 7859) for $60 each, a lighting set (7861) for $40, and decoupler (7862) for $140. I opened them recently on camera and learned some more about part variants - specifically, the copy of 7858 I got was the later box version, and after opening it I saw that it was a super late release of the set, from around 1992. I've opened two sealed accessory sets before - 7862 and 7860 - and it was awesome to open some more! Check out the full video below.

I'm working on reviews of the train sets as well, so hopefully those will be posted soon!

You just makes me realize that those 12v train set had awesome accessories! Why Lego in 2023 can't give us train lovers those kind of kits but with update technology?

@Reker1000000 thanks for sharing another great video about 12 V historic LEGO train stuff. Only the sealed boxes give evidence about the paper ware inside and the element variants. Did I spot it right: the decoupler box has also instructions for the transformer/speed regulator? Nice to see the second version of the 7861 induction leaflet in the first box type. I wonder which leaflet might come with the 1989© box? And I didn't know about the production year and week information on the point motor and the remote control keyboard. 

Next you need to hunt for the 1985 advertising folded paper showing 7838 instead of 7823 in the middle of the back side.

Overall very valuable new information for all 12 V collectors! Thanks for sharing, 

Holger

On 12/22/2023 at 10:08 PM, kahyja said:

You just makes me realize that those 12v train set had awesome accessories! Why Lego in 2023 can't give us train lovers those kind of kits but with update technology?

I wish! That's why I started collecting 12V, the electric accessories are so unique.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:20 AM, HoMa said:

@Reker1000000 thanks for sharing another great video about 12 V historic LEGO train stuff. Only the sealed boxes give evidence about the paper ware inside and the element variants. Did I spot it right: the decoupler box has also instructions for the transformer/speed regulator? Nice to see the second version of the 7861 induction leaflet in the first box type. I wonder which leaflet might come with the 1989© box? And I didn't know about the production year and week information on the point motor and the remote control keyboard. 

Next you need to hunt for the 1985 advertising folded paper showing 7838 instead of 7823 in the middle of the back side.

Overall very valuable new information for all 12 V collectors! Thanks for sharing, 

Holger

Hey thanks for the comment! Yep, the decoupler has instructions for the transformer - it's actually a booklet that has instructions for every supplemental set (transformer, signal, points, etc...), I have another of those booklets. I think it was more of an advertisement than actual instructions. Yep, 7861 was clearly from after 1985 (and maybe even after 1987, since it has the newer cable types), but it does have the old box variant. The 1989 box variant of 7858 is actually a super late release, both the remote and motor are dated from 1992, and the service brochure inside is from 92 as well.

I never new about that advertisement with 7838 - but makes sense, as 7823 was released in 1986, so there should have been 7838 displayed in 1985. Interesting! I'm going to try and order more of the brochures, I love looking through them.

On 12/23/2023 at 4:20 AM, HoMa said:

So, funny story... I looked at the brochures inside my sets, and the originally sealed copy of 7859 actually has that brochure! The motor and remote are both dated from 1985, so it makes sense. Is that brochure particularly rare? I see some listings on Bricklink.

Posted (edited)

Hey there @Reker1000000, I really adore your videos! Guess I've watched them all… They actually helped me to understand the 12v system better, especially for newbies :classic:

I've started to collect 12v sets since some months, on a budget via classifieds in Germany, made some great finds, but one thing got my stuck since the beginning: 

• When did Lego stop producing using the reinforced plates (with this narrow struts under the plates… at the 4 by X and 6 by X plates)? Was is around 1980 or more like 1985?
  • When did Lego stop producing 1x1 and 1x2 bricks with the little side mold point visible)?

I know… these are special questions. But I though especially you might be able to help since you often get boxed or sealed sets that are not mixed with sets. E.g. I found the 7727 and the 7735, but I don't know what's the correct type of plates and bricks since some are mixed. I want to restore them as accurate as possible!

P.S. I would have written you a message, but I am new here and not allowed, so I thought the post here vaguely fit ;)!

IMG_8465.JPG

IMG_8466.JPG

Edited by bluewing

Hi @bluewing I guess you found info about you question online by now but just in case: The mold point was moved from the side and to the stud in '74 and until 1980 both types where in production. Regarding the reinforced plates I do not know. Check this link for some info about mold types.