Sign in to follow this  
Davidz90

[MOC] Yet another orrery

I figured I could post mine as well. It's a pretty old build, without nice spheres for celestial bodies and a bit clunky overall, but pretty accurate:

Gear ratios are:

1. sidereal year: 365.71429 days (should be 365.25636; at that time I didn't know how to do 365, which would be better)

2. synodic month: 29.41165 days (should be 29.450059 days)

3. sun rotation (at equator): 24.9318 days (should be 24.7 days)

I also figured out a way to make elliptic orbits with realistic speed variation:

23 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

Very impressive! Possibly taking the prize for [gears : other parts] ratio!

Thanks! Indeed, the frame holding all gears is pretty minimal, hence the wobbliness.

9 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice job! I especially like that elliptical one

Thanks! It was a bit of an accidental discovery, I knew that the mechanism will do "smaller orbit=faster", but had no idea that it will actually do this perfectly in accordance to Kepler's law. I even tried to derive the equation describing its motion to fully prove that, but eventually gave up.

Great job on the ratios in the orrery, and I really like the elliptical orbit too!

Coo! I can see some complex brain-work went into making this orrery so accurate. I like the elliptical one too.

Here is something I did for an Ideas contest a few years ago. Was really hoping it would win and become a GWP, but sadly the Galileo Tribute was chosen instead. And they didn't even bother to correct the mistake on the clockwise orbit.

Earth: 1:19.5 turns => 365.25 days
Mars: 1:37 turns => 693 days / 687d
Venus: 1:13.5 turns => 253 days /225d
Mercury & Sun: 1:8 turns => 150 days / 88d
Video link

VhZTO7z.png

Edited by R0Sch

1 hour ago, EWay said:

Great job on the ratios in the orrery, and I really like the elliptical orbit too!

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

Here is something I did for an Ideas contest a few years ago. Was really hoping it would win and become a GWP, but sadly the Galileo Tribute was chosen instead. And they didn't even bother to correct the mistake on the clockwise orbit.

Earth: 1:19.5 turns => 365.25 days
Mars: 1:37 turns => 693 days / 687d
Venus: 1:13.5 turns => 253 days /225d
Mercury & Sun: 1:8 turns => 150 days / 88d

Really impressive! I've never seen this technique for multiple, coaxial planets.