Lasse D

Roller Coaster with Intertwined Synchronised Loops

It is a bit embarrassing to say, but I started this model back in November... 2022. It took a lot more work to get the tall lifts to work and for the whole model to run reliably. In the video I show all of the mistakes and learnings made along the way. I have tried to make it as entertaining as possible, and I hope, that you enjoy it.

The model started with me wanting to see how many trains can loop or pass through the same point at the same time. A shortage of space was coming up early, and the modified loops required a lot of additional speed for the trains to clear reliably. But with increased speed, also came increased friction, and if you look closely, you can see how much the trains have deposited of red ABS on the sides of the loop tracks!

The roller coaster is activated using the "color distance sensor" from LEGO Boost. This sensor is great at communicating when it can be activated, and in my field test, visitors had an easy time figuring out how to interact with the model. Some children stayed for quite some time and activated the roller coaster whenever the light shined green. Unfortunately the model was not yet reliable when it was exhibited, so it required me to be on-site at all times.

This latest version should be much better for public display. Only time will tell.

If it turns out to be a success at event, then I would like to make it even more complicated with more trains in the "knot". Do you have any good ideas to how to add trains without risking collisions?

Very impressive work. I very much appreciate the style of the video - leaving the errors in to see how you learned from them. Too many videos are perfect first time, or "here's one I made earlier".

As for ideas, the first one to mind is that I think a "splash zone" could be worked in. Since you have already raised the ground level, you could have the coaster dip below that level, and motorise some 'splash' effect each time a cart passes that point.

This is amazing! I also like how the earlier designs are included the video.

17 hours ago, Yoggington said:

Very impressive work. I very much appreciate the style of the video - leaving the errors in to see how you learned from them. Too many videos are perfect first time, or "here's one I made earlier".

As for ideas, the first one to mind is that I think a "splash zone" could be worked in. Since you have already raised the ground level, you could have the coaster dip below that level, and motorise some 'splash' effect each time a cart passes that point.

Thanks for the kind feedback all of you.

As for your idea Yoggington: Yes, Yes, Yes!

According to the rides on Fandom.com ( https://bullfrogproductions.fandom.com/wiki/Theme_Park_Rides ) there should be a "Big Dipper" with a "Water Splash" exactly like this. However. I do not have the two attractions in my version of the game, which is the Playstation port. I am unsuccessful in finding out more info about these attractions. If only I could get some gameplay footage or pictures, then I could model them into my layout as well. 

I would very much like to know what is going on with your chain lift at about 18:20- 18:28! I'm seeing an axle driving the 40 tooth gear at the top. What is that mechanism doing? I'm not seeing all of it. I find it very interesting!

This is the best way I know of how to answer that question. I have made an additional video where I go through all of the technical details - including all about the lifting mechanism:

There are chapters for each detail. Seek to 10:18 for the part about the lifts.

Thanks for sharing these videos, it's an amazing build! Really interesting to see the process.

I love monorails & rollercoasters. I live nowhere near either, sadly.

On 12/6/2023 at 3:35 AM, 1963maniac said:

I would very much like to know what is going on with your chain lift at about 18:20- 18:28! I'm seeing an axle driving the 40 tooth gear at the top. What is that mechanism doing? I'm not seeing all of it. I find it very interesting!

Thanks for the second video! It's very helpful and informative. I still want to know more about the "power take off". I have always had trouble with a "jerky" chain lift. I wonder if the power take off system can pull  the chain by itself.?

Edited by 1963maniac

I'm impressed by your dedication to perfecting the model, even with all the twists and turns along the way. It's clear you've put in loads of effort to make it run smoothly, from tinkering with the loops to figuring out the right speed for those trains.

Using the LEGO Boost sensor to activate the coaster is a brilliant touch. It adds a whole new level of interaction and engagement, especially for curious visitors eager to give it a go. But you can check out the us theme parks as an example.

Expanding with more trains in the "knot" sounds like a thrilling challenge. Maybe you could experiment with different track layouts or introduce a clever timing system to keep everything running smoothly.

Edited by powerwolfo