Sign in to follow this  
cehnot

[WIP] Ship Colors

I am having trouble deciding on the HMS Camilla colors. I would like help choosing the colors, or modify any part that may need to alter the current colors to make it better. 

Option A:
Primary Colors: Reddish Brown, White
Accent Colors: Yellow, Dark Blue
Camilla_race_built_galleon_110923_brown.

Camilla_race_built_galleon_110923_brown_

Option B:
Primary Colors: Black, White
Accent Colors: Yellow, Dark Blue

Camilla_race_built_galleon_111323_black.

Camilla_race_built_galleon_111323_black_

Seven Seas Barracuda was completed earlier this week. Photos for the final ship will come later this week. 

Option B as reddish brown can shatter quite badly. (yes, they fixed the issue at LEGO since 2019. BUT if you're buying parts from Bricklink or Brickowl, you're gambling on it splintering or not!)

Option B as painting the upper hull of warships black seems to have been common in many navies at the time. Wood regularly exposed to the elements (like that used for the hulls of sailing ships) would definitely have been tarred or painted for waterproofing/protection.

Although then I would be tempted to change the gundeck stripe from white to yellow and recolor some of the yellow accents to blue or black.

Edited by TheCosmicTravelers

I'm playing around on Mecabricks at the moment and this is quite similar to one of the colour schemes I'm considering for my Sea Hawk/Caribbean Clipper MOC based on the PoBB version of the Black Seas Barracuda.

Edited by Pirate_King_1982

This looks great, and chance we could see a deconstructed view of the curves forecastle section above the large front hull peice? 
 I’m currently working on a similar design and have hit a bit of a wall.

14 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Option B as reddish brown can shatter quite badly. (yes, they fixed the issue at LEGO since 2019. BUT if you're buying parts from Bricklink or Brickowl, you're gambling on it splintering or not!)

That is correct. I been buying my brown directly of PAB for that reason. The Seven Seas Barracuda uses 2000 or so brown pieces and took me several years to order since my initial design. Even the files for these are not accurate to the stable design I finallized recently. This will give me the exterior pieces I need to order. The 4 decks inside will likely be similar to my other ship. 

13 hours ago, Pirate_King_1982 said:

I'm playing around on Mecabricks at the moment and this is quite similar to one of the colour schemes I'm considering for my Sea Hawk/Caribbean Clipper MOC based on the PoBB version of the Black Seas Barracuda.

This ship is suppose to be the Navy version prior to Redbeard capture, painting and renaming it The Barracuda. The galleon ship I worked in since 2018 is now complete. I redesigned its exterior to fit closer to the newer Barracuda Bay set. I began ordering parts in 2020-2023 while reworking the structure and develping a new set of realistic mast designs. Ill share photos later this week. 

12 hours ago, thewatchman said:

This looks great, and chance we could see a deconstructed view of the curves forecastle section above the large front hull peice? 
 I’m currently working on a similar design and have hit a bit of a wall.

What area do you need to focus on exactly? I can supply the file for you to mess with. The galleon doesnt use many of the same pieces as the set. The forecastle has been entirely reworked. Just a warning if you want the file. The Barracuda galleon is about 5000-6000 pieces without the newly design masts. 

Edited by cehnot

Interior is now white. This should brighten up the interior more than the reddish brown I use in the Barracuda galleon. I will likely change the bed colors to a blue instead of the stripped effect. The file is probably 80-90 percent the same as the ship I built. I modified parts for structural reasoning, so I will likely use the finished ship as reference for those areas rather than try to duplicate it in the file for now. I just need to put together a list of what I have and what I need to order. The white and dark blue parts are definitely something I need. I may update the file with the new masts I build for the galleon with a new color pallet. I am thinking of using some yellow highlights in the mast design.
Camilla_race_built_galleon_111523_black.

Reworked the rear cabin colors. I like the subtle dark blue above and below the windows. 

Camilla_race_built_galleon_111523_black_

I matched the rigging boards to my galleon sitting on the shelf. They are much wider than the older file. I also added a few touched of yellow accents on the front deck. 

I also made the masts and bow spirit match the Seven Seas Barracuda. I think this may be ready to order parts. 
3 mast galleon. 2 jib sails, 2 mast jib sails, a mizzen mast sail and top mast sail above the mizzen sail. 

Still not entirely sure about the yellow accents on the masts.