Legownz

[MOC] Modular Building - Camera Store & Apartments

Hi Everyone!

Normally, I'm over in the train forum, but I do like doing town MOCs too. Here is my latest (and largest) town MOC. I've loved the modular series ever since Cafe Corner and I've always wanted to do my own. I have tried a few times over the years, but they were never very good. This time, I designed the entire thing on Stud.io and then got parts after (Which is how I've been doing a lot of my train MOCs for the past few years). This building takes inspiration from a building in my hometown, but I tried to make it its own thing. It was only later that I realized how similar the whole thing looked to the Town Hall set. Bah.

Either way, I wanted to do a camera store for a very specific reason. When my brother and I were kids, we built a Lego camera store together and it was something we were both very proud of. We didn't have many of the actual camera pieces and instead used part 4070, the classic headlight brick, as our cameras. Even today, I still call them camera pieces in my mind. Anyway, I wanted to do an homage to that so here we are.

First, some exterior shots.

53285195372_b1ed21498d_b.jpg

I'm very proud of how the front looks. I think the clock tower is very striking and makes the building way more interesting. I also am so glad I added the Fabuland camera above the door. I'm always a fan of funky store signage, so I needed something like that.

53286338523_49473aa6d1_b.jpg

53286338503_d87fcc08bb_b.jpg

The trees were a very last minute addition. I had completed the entire building in real bricks and then realized the sidewalk needed more green. I'm happy with these small, simple designs. The flower boxes were always in the plan, though.

53286338868_cdc20d8499_b.jpg

A view of the facade detail. I like how the cornice detail turned out.

53286459429_c6acfd221f_b.jpg

A closer view of the clock tower. I wasn't sure if the Bowser shell piece would fit in above the clock faces, but I was surprised at how well it worked out.

53286458804_422d2a3d14_b.jpg

The back of the building is extremely boring and I'm not the biggest fan of it. I don't know what would spice it up, though. Maybe some ivy?

53285195562_cc0a0734ce_b.jpg

A floorplan view of the first floor/store. In the bottom left, you'll see an original camera from my childhood store. 

53286339083_9e57c037a4_b.jpg

I made the decision early on to have a wood floor, and unfortunately, the color I felt looked best was dark orange. I think it was worth it though. Also, you'll notice the shop cat. I really wanted it to be a black cat as I used to have a black cat as a kid, but alas, they were pricey, so I went with an orange kitten.

We also see some film canisters and old tape reels for sale here, as well as a variety of lenses and a big flash near the windows. The radio on the shelf is meant for music for patrons. The computer in the back is used for inventory management and whatnot. 

53286551945_da397ec66f_b.jpg

A closer view of the computer. Happy how this turned out.

53286089391_de28e8b5fb_b.jpg

Here's the display case showing off all the new models. Wish there were more camera molds, but ah well. 

53285195357_14167eec87_b.jpg

A better view of the checkout desk with a variety of photos hung up, showing off the quality of the cameras for ads and what not. 

The boxes against the window are all cameras still in their boxes, as the store has no stockroom. I wanted this store to feel like it's been here a while and just have a variety of stuff, but I really don't think I captured that well at all. I think I need to add more stuff and interior detail in the future.

53285195722_92ee6deef1_b.jpg

Anyhow, now we move on to the upstairs apartments. The door outside leads to a cramped staircase.

53285196387_647145fd72_b.jpg

The floorplan of the second floor apartment. 

53286551600_15127d84d9_b.jpg

The checkerboard tile totally dates the building and I love that. No railings on this one as it would make the stairs smaller, but I should probably still add them.

53286089336_8833a40c8a_b.jpg

This apartment opens into a cramped living room/kitchen. I like how the glass coffee table turned out here. The fridge is ok, but could be improved on.

53285195572_b2e385cb53_b.jpg

I love funky interior design, so the idea of everyone in my city just having a white kitchen was boring to me. Thus, black kitchen.

53286458954_d49bc95143_b.jpg

The bedroom has a nice big bed, though, along with a dresser and artwork on the walls.

53285195347_bea5391624_b.jpg

The door past the desk leads to the small balcony on the front of the building.

53286089201_7d53da7705_b.jpg

The bathroom here, I love. I think the tub especially turned out well.

53286459144_531c7ef90a_b.jpg

Now, we're onto the third floor. This apartment is the same size as the one below, but it feels much smaller to me.

53286088821_70756294bf_b.jpg

53286458959_e26a94a96e_b.jpg

Tried something different for the fridge and kitchen here. Again, artwork on the walls.

53286551760_6831527f2c_b.jpg

And again, limited space combined the kitchen with the living room. The guys here invested in a flat screen TV though. 

53286551345_ec4f541f94_b.jpg

Despite this bedroom being cramped, I really like it. I think the bed turned out well and this was my first time attempting a hanging closet. I think it looks good, but someone needs to pick their dirty socks up off the floor! Gross!

53285195377_6a4690d22a_b.jpg

The bathroom here is off of the bedroom, unlike downstairs. It was hard to get a shot of the shower, but it really isn't anything to write home about.

And that's it for the interior! Lastly, I wanted to shoot it next to a few modulars to give a sense of scale. 

53286458984_d732a381e1_b.jpg

53286339208_0f39fc2118_b.jpg

Thanks so much for looking/reading! I really appreciate it! This was a super fun, yet expensive, project! I have other custom modulars I'm working on and want to build, but those will be much further down the line. 

Comments, questions, and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Also, if anyone wants the Stud.io file to check out for themselves or to build their own version of this building, I can provide. I only ask that you credit me. Thanks!

Some nice design touches there, I’m liking the bath, and the beds.  They’re really nice.  For cameras, perhaps look at these two for Video cameras.  They may not be perfect but would offer variety.  Also look at the brick built old fashioned camera in Assembly Square as something that could go in the window.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30148&name=Minifigure, Utensil Camera Movie Style&category=[Minifigure, Utensil]#T=P&C=11

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4360&name=Minifigure, Utensil Camera with Side Sight (Space Gun)&category=[Minifigure, Utensil]#T=C

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=1289#T=P

On the top floor, I would encompass almost all the landing into the apartment, which would give you a bit more real estate to play with, perhaps to make the lounge/kitchen larger, as you said it seemed cramped.  I think a lighter interior wall colour might help in both apartments too.

I would also look at making the ground floor a little taller.  If you look at most of the official modulars, the ground floor is significantly taller than the others, and this might give you the option to add some textural relief to the brick effect you’ve gone for.  

Love the dirty socks on the floor, and the cup in the sink.  Nice touches like that turn a building into something with a story.  I hope that I haven’t come across as too critical.  I think you’ve done a great job, especially where I personally fall down, interiors.  I find them so difficult to do well, so my MOCs tend to have rather rushed interiors, missing details like you’ve managed well here.  Congrats, and keep building.

Nice work on your first modular!

Some very nice part usage, especially that bowser shell in the tower. I wasn't even aware of that piece, but it fits perfectly where you used it! Also great work on the interior detail, especially the apartments are very nice!

I'd also look into making the ground floor a bit higher. In Lego's modulars, it's usually about 11-12 bricks high. Also - and this may look worse on the pictures than in reality - the dark colors in the the roof area (with the dark red cornices and black roof) drown out the details and create too much negative space, if that makes sense. I'd go for some additional contrasting color there, or maybe a different color for the roof altogether.

Looks great and I really like the interior details!