Animated101

LEGO spongebob, come back!

We all know the old lego spongebob theme, which unfortunately retired a long time ago, due to licensing issues. But recently on lego ideas, there have been an uncountable amount of spongebob themed sets, does this mean lego might finnaly budge and get the license back...

@Animated101 I don't think it's a Lego issue, but possibly one with Nickelodeon. From what I recall reading, they had the TMNT's unsold sets pulled from shelves and destroyed around the time Spongebob stopped. As a side note, SpongeBob then went to MegaBloks, who may still have the license today. (who knows for sure?) Honestly, if Lego brings back any thing Nickelodeon related, it should be SpongeBob and Avatar (not the blue cat people!) as that series is on it's second live-action reboot and it's third animated series. It would be like printing money if they did it well... unlike the two original 2006 sets.

Oh, and can a mod such as @Clone OPatra move this thread to the licensed forum? It seems like it would get more comments in the right place!

Edited by Murdoch17

Honestly you’ve made a great point there, all I want to know is why would Nickelodeon want mega blocks who makes less money than Lego? Its strange tbh, but yes, im sure lego wouldnt mind having there theme back lol 💸💸

1 hour ago, Animated101 said:

Honestly you’ve made a great point there, all I want to know is why would Nickelodeon want mega blocks who makes less money than Lego? Its strange tbh, but yes, im sure lego wouldnt mind having there theme back lol 💸💸

Possibly a issue between Nick and LEGO soured their arrangement, leading to Nickelodeon calling off the contract, and Lego being forced to destroy the stock. The one thing for sure is we will never know the exact details...

I’d be first in line if the theme ever came back! Unsurprisingly :laugh_hard: It’s on the top of my wishlist for returning themes.

Imagine what they could do now with dual-moulding and all the pieces they‘ve introduced since the theme ended! :wub: Crab claws for Krabs, a squirrell tail for Sandy, dual-moulded arms and legs for SpongeBob himself etc.

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

I don’t know how likely it will be for SponeBob SquarePants CMF…. But the return of that theme would be gret! 

I think Patrick and Squid will need new body molds except for arms. And a new mold for Plankton . 

16 hours ago, Lion King said:

I don’t know how likely it will be for SponeBob SquarePants CMF…. But the return of that theme would be gret! 

I think Patrick and Squid will need new body molds except for arms. And a new mold for Plankton . 

Sandy Cheeks could also reuse Marshal’s tail piece from Animal Crossing.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:42 AM, MatthewRC said:

Sandy Cheeks could also reuse Marshal’s tail piece from Animal Crossing.

That would be GREAT!

On 10/21/2023 at 8:45 PM, Murdoch17 said:

@Animated101 I don't think it's a Lego issue, but possibly one with Nickelodeon. From what I recall reading, they had the TMNT's unsold sets pulled from shelves and destroyed around the time Spongebob stopped. As a side note, SpongeBob then went to MegaBloks, who may still have the license today. (who knows for sure?) Honestly, if Lego brings back any thing Nickelodeon related, it should be SpongeBob and Avatar (not the blue cat people!) as that series is on it's second live-action reboot and it's third animated series. It would be like printing money if they did it well... unlike the two original 2006 sets.

Oh, and can a mod such as @Clone OPatra move this thread to the licensed forum? It seems like it would get more comments in the right place!

I think the issue with TMNT is a lot of it was based off a pretty forgettable live-action movie and the 2012 series. Now, I like the 2012 series, and while my preferred Turtles are the 03 ones...

An 80s-styled TMNT line with the Party Van and Technodrome would most likely have sold better. Just look at NECA. A company that used to make horror figures has basically turned into the Turtle Express!

Also, I think TMNT is far more toyetic than Avatar.