MontyMatte

[MOC] MEDIEVAL SPECTACULUM at the Museum of History - BDP

Dear Eurobricks community, it’s time again!

Like every year, locals are as excited as hobby knights and maids from all over the region: The Medieval Spectaculum at the Museum of History opens its doors! A festival where young and old can relive the Middle Ages. The narrow, cobbled streets are packed with lovingly and detailed designed market stalls and attractions.

019wQxK.jpeg

Heart of the event and central place is the old Museum of History - located in a restored building that is several hundred years old. Whether it was once a prison, a town hall or something else (no one knows for sure) in any case it is the city's favorite. It offers culture-loving visitors the opportunity to explore the medieval world, while the little ones invent their own knight stories in the outdoor area. Of course, under grandma’s supervision.

[Front: The facades should be designed differently, as you can see in the pictures. In addition, the outdoor area should appear lively - highlighted by children playing under grandma's supervision, lots of plants and other details to explore.]

AZgtlIm.jpg

t66OGbZ.jpg

K09NPDw.jpg

[Inside: The interior was used as a homage to the Classic Castle era. For example, you can see this by the designed tiles on the upper floor. There are also a few smaller functions built in.]

3VfIPTd.jpg

3T6fNR5.jpg

At the juggler's stage, spectators can admire some wonderful, more or less dangerous performances and watch the fireworks every evening.

NwmapII.jpg

On the ship swing, children can prove that knights can also be great sailors.

ocERQxU.jpg

The Night Watch at the well loves to delight interested people with scary and funny anecdotes and to accompany them on a journey through time. (A well, a fire hydrant and a street lamp...his loyal, yapping companion obviously lives in a paradise)

ahadDPA.jpg

Finally, the market is a great place to stroll. In addition to the merchant with her (mainly wooden) replicas of medieval equipment, berry juice, wine and other delicacies can be bought from the winemaker. Archery and ax throwing skills can also be tested here.

53252919751_a23ab74f26_k.jpg

About my intention:

While visiting a similar festival with friends and family, the idea was born that it'd be a great opportunity for a new building project. I found it challenging and fascinating at the same time to combine my favorite theme (=castle) with a modern touch (=city). A combination that is probably not that common and that hopefully many people can enjoy. For me personally it was a nice change.

Examples of the modern touch are the fire hydrant, the bird house, wearing glasses, visitors dressed in modern clothes and much more. Of course, it was also important to me to incorporate a lot of details and maintain an own style. The interior of the museum in particular gave me the space to show my love for the classical (castle) era.

About the project:

As some of you probably already guessed It's submitted to the Bricklink Designer Program (Link below). As always, I built it physically first. It took several months from the first brick to the completion of the instructions. When I transferred it to digital, I was curious to see how many parts it has. In fact, I had to reduce and ended up using around 3800 parts. 12 minifigures and four animals are included. There are also some stickers for the first time: 17 pcs. with 14 different designs. Due to the amount of detail, it is probably more suitable as a display set, but some functions are also integrated.  The sensible reduced range of parts was challenging, but could mostly be solved.

---

Thank you for taking the time to look into this project. I hope you like it and I'm happy about any kind of support - that includes a vote, feedback... but also criticism! Otherwise, I'm glad that the Medieval Spectaculum is growing and that I still have a lot of ideas to expand the festival. Accordingly, see you soon.

Link to BDP: https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-3/929/MEDIEVAL-SPECTACULUM-at-the-Museum-of-History
(Ofc your support and a short comment greatly appreciated :))

Keep building while having fun!

Yours, Tobi aka MontyMatte

Edited by MontyMatte

3 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Surprised by the piece count on this one. Vote cast.

Do you think you're surprised that there are so many?

Thanks a lot BTW 😊

When i was younger my family and me went to quite some spectaculums! Love your creation of the whole event with its attractions, market stalls and showmen. The juggler's stage is my absolute highlight! And the colorful tree even matches his outfit. Using the wizard's hat as water for the fountain is just awesome!

14 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Surprised by the piece count on this one. Vote cast.

Given the part count and the number of minifigures included, this is likely to be at the upper end of the price range like the ruined house of the last round. I hope they bracket it to have a few more smaller sets this time around. When it first opened, only 2 or the 9 had less than 1000 parts, and the other 7 were all 2000+ parts (four of them above 3000 parts).

18 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

When i was younger my family and me went to quite some spectaculums! Love your creation of the whole event with its attractions, market stalls and showmen. The juggler's stage is my absolute highlight! And the colorful tree even matches his outfit. Using the wizard's hat as water for the fountain is just awesome!

Thanks for this detailed feedback and highlighting your favorites 👌 Especially happy to find someone who has experience at such festivals. I hope you enjoyed it. 

19 minutes ago, MontyMatte said:

Thanks for this detailed feedback and highlighting your favorites 👌 Especially happy to find someone who has experience at such festivals. I hope you enjoyed it. 

As a kid i loved everything related to the middle ages (seafaring and pirates as well), be it toys, movies, audio dramas, books, playing knight in the woods, visiting castles and spectaculums... Still remember the grim black knights who pushed everyone out of the way when they paraded through the masses at the "Kaltenberger Ritterturnier" back in the day. I can see myelf as a kid in front of one of your market stalls with all the wooden swords and shields.  But that is maybe too much off topic :laugh:

Now when i think about it, something is missing in your moc: Blue mobile toilets with some knights waiting in the queue :laugh:

On 10/13/2023 at 11:39 AM, MAB said:

Given the part count and the number of minifigures included, this is likely to be at the upper end of the price range like the ruined house of the last round. I hope they bracket it to have a few more smaller sets this time around. When it first opened, only 2 or the 9 had less than 1000 parts, and the other 7 were all 2000+ parts (four of them above 3000 parts).

I understand what you mean and can understand it well. I think with 5 finalists the average number of parts should be around 2500. (But this also means that if you choose a very large set, the chance of getting smaller ones increases ;) )

On 10/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, Yperio_Bricks said:

As a kid i loved everything related to the middle ages (seafaring and pirates as well), be it toys, movies, audio dramas, books, playing knight in the woods, visiting castles and spectaculums... Still remember the grim black knights who pushed everyone out of the way when they paraded through the masses at the "Kaltenberger Ritterturnier" back in the day. I can see myelf as a kid in front of one of your market stalls with all the wooden swords and shields.  But that is maybe too much off topic :laugh:

Now when i think about it, something is missing in your moc: Blue mobile toilets with some knights waiting in the queue :laugh:

I recognize myself in many details of your description of your passion for the Middle Ages :) Because you're talking about Kaltenberger Ritterturnier and blue toilets #Dixi, I assume you're from Germany!? (Grüße aus Hannover!) In fact, I'm currently building more sections of the Spectaculum. The blue toilet was also on my list, but I don't think it will happen this time.

4 minutes ago, MontyMatte said:

I recognize myself in many details of your description of your passion for the Middle Ages :) Because you're talking about Kaltenberger Ritterturnier and blue toilets #Dixi, I assume you're from Germany!? (Grüße aus Hannover!) In fact, I'm currently building more sections of the Spectaculum. The blue toilet was also on my list, but I don't think it will happen this time.

Of course Dixi! :laugh: Looking forward to see the additional spectaculum builds (Greetings from Braunschweig)!