Sign in to follow this  
VeniVediLego

Third Party Small Boat Hull 6054

I've been researching a detailed pirate ship build (maybe I'll get to it, maybe I won't) and found that small boat hull section 6054 in old brown is quite expensive, given that it was only ever available in Set No. 6271: Imperial Flag Ship. I've also been looking deeply into the latest quality non-Lego building bricks, and found that ReoBrix (I think) makes a pirate ship set which features boat hull 6054 and a variant of boat bow 6050 (with no cutouts for anchor chain), both in reddish brown with the trim on the bow in black. This set also features the short shrouds/mast rigging in black, but they have a deep "rope" texture. There is a another set out there, though it is dodgier, that features these pieces in red and tan (or maybe white).

I'm not sure if the other brands have the chops to pull off large pieces like this without too much warping, but it might be worth investigating. Has anyone gotten one of these?

The reddish brown/black set

The red/tan set (one of the options)

From experience, it's cheaper to just get the original Lego parts than it is to

-buy the parts from China

-pay the (often high) shipping fees

-hope the parts are in good condition (because these sellers are notorious for ignoring defect claims and refusing to send replacements), if not you will need to repeat the (expensive) process above.

Also, these parts are not that great, except if you're willing to use glue to hold them correctly and have no intention of using them a lot (they accumulate wear and tear much faster).

But t'is just my opinion, you do what you want...

18 hours ago, VeniVediLego said:

I've been researching a detailed pirate ship build (maybe I'll get to it, maybe I won't) and found that small boat hull section 6054 in old brown is quite expensive, given that it was only ever available in Set No. 6271: Imperial Flag Ship. I've also been looking deeply into the latest quality non-Lego building bricks, and found that ReoBrix (I think) makes a pirate ship set which features boat hull 6054 and a variant of boat bow 6050 (with no cutouts for anchor chain), both in reddish brown with the trim on the bow in black. This set also features the short shrouds/mast rigging in black, but they have a deep "rope" texture. There is a another set out there, though it is dodgier, that features these pieces in red and tan (or maybe white).

I'm not sure if the other brands have the chops to pull off large pieces like this without too much warping, but it might be worth investigating. Has anyone gotten one of these?

The reddish brown/black set

The red/tan set (one of the options)

Yes, I think they will be great!

I think with Aliexpress its hard to know what you're actually getting. It would be nice to see if you could buy just the hull parts without needing to purchase the entire set. you could also brick build your hull. 31109 is only one stud wider than the old small hulls so I bet some creative tinkering you could get it a bit smaller and still looking good!

On 10/3/2023 at 3:44 AM, VeniVediLego said:

I'm not sure if the other brands have the chops to pull off large pieces like this without too much warping

I have some experience with third-party bricks and pieces, and the one I use they do have hull pieces - LINK

For instance, here is the black bow used on the LEGO Black Pearl, which is now rare and expensive on BrickLink.

lego-pirates-the-black-pearl-scratches-b

These big pieces usually come with several scratches, but they are compatible with the rest of LEGO bricks and I find them quite good for test-building a design with real bricks. I often get black masts also with scratches. Bricks, plates and tiles are great, no problem there, they connect easily and stay connected.

Beside obvious cons of not being a LEGO quality, there are few pros:

- they are cheap

- free shipping to Europe, and hand delivery to home by DPD service

- customs tax for importing Chines goods into EU-zone is covered by them, not by a customer

- if the package arrives with missing parts, after informing them they will send extra package with those parts free of charge

If you are interested, prepare an excel part list (exported from Studio) and send it to service@medievalbrick.com.

They will give you a reply with the price offer, or will inform you if the desired part is not available in colour you wanted and offer colours they do have.

Last advice, using Studio 2.0 Instruction maker, make a simple Bill-of-Materials list where they can see parts with images. They use this for quality check before shipping out goods.

Hope this helps

On 10/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, Marooned Marin said:

I have some experience with third-party bricks and pieces, and the one I use they do have hull pieces - LINK

Thanks for this resource! This is something I find the Chinese brands very useful for: parts in colors which are not available from Lego or discontinued parts or parts in colors which have become expensive on the resale market. Support pillar No. 43888 in black, for instance, is available from BuildMoc, and that is good because it features in my design for yards and top gallant masts. Full sets that are carbon copies of actual Lego sets rub me the wrong way, but when they are a discontinued set I don't really see much of a problem. Kind of like a vintage Lancia kit car. My opposition to Mega Bloks has always been based on the design, tolerances and mold quality: even now they just don't stick together. I found some Mega Blok parts in a small thrift haul recently that had flash.

On 10/5/2023 at 1:03 AM, Professor Thaum said:

Please if you may avoid advertising for chinese 3rd brand stuff here.

They are obvious copy and of poor quality

Tbh I don’t see an issue with someone wanting feedback on the quality of hull pieces that are no longer available or cost $100 a part on the secondary market, purely for the sin of getting into the hobby at the wrong time.