Sign in to follow this  
Equilibrium

[TC25] 8446 Crane Truck

Finally, my first Eurobricks contest :) I wanted to enter one for some time already but for one reason or another I didn't in the end.

So... from the moment theme was announced I knew what I'm going to shrink. I chose one of the not so popular sets I think which is 8446 Crane Truck from 1999. I do own one and it has a couple of cool functions:

• Steered both front axles
  • Crane superstructure mounted on a turntable with raising/lowering arm function going through it where both of those are operated from sides of the chassis
  • Arm that ends with spring locked grappler
  • Front cabin raised by damped shock absorber

I'm going to incorporate all but the last one.

Picture of original set:

Uj7Qt2Pl.jpg

What I've made so far with spare bricks:

PEW35YNl.jpg

xUHQM0dl.jpg

Edited by Equilibrium

Interesting choice. Can't wait to see more progress on how you're going to represent those classic panels and studded beams.

17 minutes ago, Equilibrium said:

I'm going to incorporate all but the last one.

Why though? You're not treating is as valuable function or is it going to get complicated? I would think about just raising it on blue 3L pins for the sake of friction holding the cover? Unless the whole cabin was opening up in the original model?

Ok, I didn't write that clear enough - it will be openable since it can open wide but without damping/spring. Right now it's on an axle, not sure about friction pin. Though, i do have that axle housing piece used mostly in system sets for keeping booms up but I'm not sure if I can fit it in there.

You could try to use the normal shock absorber in a way that it holds canopy in both position and is squeezed when traveling between those positions. But it would mean either attachment point sticking out downwards ~45 degrees from the canopy or the attachment point on the chassis being slightly above the seats level and so the shock absorber would be visibly between seats when open.

I'm not sure what you're planning for the canopy to look like, but I think it will need some kind of way to hold it up in open position.

The 8446 is such a strange model, but a really cool choice for this contest!

You should make sure, that the steering angle of the second axle is a little lower than the first one. Just compare it to the real model.

@Jundis There is a slight angle difference:

kANNEnWl.jpg

Steering works by rotating middle connector which forces others to slide along axle in opposite directions moving steering liftarms. Second axle has a stop using 1L beam which limits a bit angle compared to the front one:

ARjZ84gl.jpg

I1jbi0Hl.jpg

@SaperPL I think I've found a solution. I'm waiting for remaining BL order to fully build it.

Edited by Equilibrium

I'm pretty much done and quite happy with the result. I was afraid how cabin front will look like once build since in LDD it was so-so but it came out rather nice. The scale is around 1:1.5 and I managed to incorporate all features of the original set after all. Cabin is mounted on small shock absorber and can be opened by pushing yellow connector at the front.

5ZX10bRl.jpg

psYVtJsl.jpg

FZGEWN1l.jpg

9QRo0V1l.jpg

8ZNHtTCl.jpg

It looks very good, perhaps due to photografic angle it looks like crane is a bit to big?

@1gor Thanks :)

Grappler is rather chunky in original as well but picture angle doesn't help either :P I was checking proportions by rotating crane super structure 180 deg. and it does fit behind steering like in a set (albeit it is tight fit :p). Big shock absorber will also affect size perception for sure. At first I wanted to use smaller shock absorber but it was limiting graple opening angle so much it was unplayable so I stayed with the large one.

gLQIJ77l.jpg J6taa3Ll.jpg

I'm able to lower a bit resting position by not sure if it makes it look better:

rWDajnFl.jpg

I've made some cosmetic changes; 1x2 plate replaced with 2x 1x1 round plate, cabin opening mechanism, stopper for crane structure for lowered resting position. And took some proper pictures with uniform background for the first time... I have to say I'm astonished how much of difference does it make. Pictures are clickable for larger resolution. Now the hardest part left - video.

Y9xAxgbl.jpg

9M0volRl.jpg

VsGLc4Pl.jpg

KeJhOQgl.jpg

And original set wheel for scale:

5yEMtBel.jpg