Sign in to follow this  
Cyberfounder

Minifigure, Heads (diversity)

So I have about 200 Black Falcons and Lion Knights and since I don't want to end up with a medieval clone army, I was looking into swapping some of the heads to get some diversity. I checked some of the previous factions and there are some good headprints among them, but I wonder what headprints other people use to get some variety, so any suggestions are welcome. :wink: 

I use pretty much any human head that doesn't have glasses, microphone, or any sort of inappropriate technology.

Two hundred?!
Well, its not insurmountable.
As MAB mentions, the heads with modern tech on it are out, and I have a tendency to use bearded -or somewhat scarred head prints. Some of the pirate heads of the last decade are a godsend for that.
Oh yes, the moment a closed up helmet with visor like 2594 or the knights helmet 89520 is used I have no qualms using a traditional smilie head, or one even with a tech print on it where the eyes are free of it.

54 minutes ago, MAB said:

I use pretty much any human head that doesn't have glasses, microphone, or any sort of inappropriate technology.

I was looking into that, seems like a good option as long as they don't have a smirky smile. :tongue:

40 minutes ago, GeoBrick said:

Two hundred?!
Well, its not insurmountable.
As MAB mentions, the heads with modern tech on it are out, and I have a tendency to use bearded -or somewhat scarred head prints. Some of the pirate heads of the last decade are a godsend for that.
Oh yes, the moment a closed up helmet with visor like 2594 or the knights helmet 89520 is used I have no qualms using a traditional smilie head, or one even with a tech print on it where the eyes are free of it.

What can I say, I build big moc's with big battle scenes and I have been out fo the caste theme for about a decade so I have some catching up to do. :laugh:
I hadn't thought of looking into pirates, gone check that out righ away. 

It depends on what your purpose is - what you're going to use them for, and what vibes you want. If you want a "grounded" medieval realm then heads from Pirates sets as others have suggested will be good, as will certain older heads such as the ones from the original Vikings theme. A lot of good heads, especially those used in City sets or older themes, feel less fitting for such a grounded setting due to their broad smiles - but if they don't clash with the vibe you want, go for them, your options are opened up drastically.

Personally I'm more into filming than MOCing, so I use a lot of standard smileys and the 'core' variants of that (pointy moustache, eyebrows, freckles for a nose) as background fodder. This is because it's important for my use case that people seeing them know who is important and who's not. I also use a lot of female faces, but my personal setting is more fantasy based so I'm not bothered by realism as much as some are. If in doubt, a search on Bricklink for yellow heads with the keyword 'beard' will yield a lot of the best ones (there's a few with glasses/eyewear, but the vast majority are suitable for knights). If you got all of the different faces with beards, you'd have about 125-150 - you'll probably have some other good heads already in your collection, and a good starting point for the last few you need will be looking at Castle/Pirates sets from the past and seeing what non-bearded heads were used in those. Not all will be perfect, of course, but generally speaking Lego are quite good at picking the most suitable faces for their Castle sets.

Besides just swapping out heads, you can make other changes to make them not all clones. Adding beard pieces or some of the Ninjago face wraps / bandanas can make each minifig slightly different.