LordsofMedieval

Where is 'the line' when it comes to custom parts?

15 hours ago, evank said:

So I am curious what makes you say that. :) We know Lego * tacitly * endorsed it

You're right. That "tacitly" was missing. And it is more like "largely tolerated".

The instruction booklet for the Robokit set (set = cartridge for the Atari STs and software on one diskette) makes references to Atari (at that time, the company selling the kit was apparently not (yet) acquired by Atari UK), Digital Research Corporation and The LEGO group in the legals section; the entire instructions shown are for LEGO models built from the LEGO Dacta sets of that time (1090, 1092 etc.) - no other construction material despite for the home brew sensors is used. In one sentence, "Fischertechnik" and "wood" is suggested as well as alternative building material, but is not used for any of the robots and other builds shown in the booklet. Technic and System bricks only.

This is why I thought: TLG must have seen this - and they never complained. But as you said: They apparently tacitly endorsed it - for sure. Still looking for videos the guys marketing Robokit took back then. There are many references in forum entries, websites and text documents, but all interesting links - so far - are broken. The Wayback Machine is of some help, but not with regard to official endorsements ;)

Best regards and looking very much forward to updates on your website!!!

Thorsten 

Sometimes it is just simpler and quicker to make it yourself than wait for LEGO or somebody else to come out with something you require for your build to work.

led5.jpg

For me it's not about the brand it's about the system (that Lego didn't invent anyway).

A third-party recolor of a Lego part, or a part that could/should have been Lego but just isn't/isn't yet, to me is more "Lego" than a shoelace just because a Lego set happens to have a shoelace in it.

15 hours ago, anothergol said:

For me it's not about the brand it's about the system (that Lego didn't invent anyway).

A third-party recolor of a Lego part, or a part that could/should have been Lego but just isn't/isn't yet, to me is more "Lego" than a shoelace just because a Lego set happens to have a shoelace in it.

Shoelaces are just thick and flat versions of LEGO string that could have been LEGO and now are.

On 8/6/2023 at 7:00 AM, MAB said:

Shoelaces are just thick and flat versions of LEGO string that could have been LEGO and now are.

The tips don't even fit Lego metrics btw, do they?

I'm nearly sure they just outsourced normal shoelaces.

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

The tips don't even fit Lego metrics btw, do they?

I'm nearly sure they just outsourced normal shoelaces.

Probably, but they are not really any different to cloth, foil or other types of string. All are "legal" purist parts.

The only custom parts I use are ropes, string, sails and flags. For me it's a big no no to cut parts or use glue (I only use glue if I repair a broken part like re attaching the clips to and old plastic flag).