Sign in to follow this  
Kdapt-Preacher

Allocating more RAM to Stud.io?

Hi! I'm working on a very large model in Stud.io, and the program's handling it very poorly: when I try to move or place a piece it typically freezes for 30-60 seconds, and occasionally it locks up completely and then crashes, so at the moment it's pretty much unusable. But I notice that it's not using my computer's resources very effectively: it caps out at about 8% CPU usage and 11% memory usage, and doesn't seem to be using my GPU at all. My immediate diagnosis is that for some reason it's limited the amount of RAM it can use and that amount is insufficient, but I don't know why it would be doing that. Is there any way for me to give it more system resources, or make it use the GPU for whatever it's struggling with? This is on Windows 11, with a 3070Ti GPU.

Thanks,

-Kdapt

You graphics driver apparently isn't really working correctly, which seems to be a common issue with Windows 11 and RTX cards in particular. You need to spend some time straightening things out like fiddling with the NVidia settings and possibly installing different driver versions, in particular using a studio driver instead of a gaming driver. As a first step I'd also enable Windows 10 compatibility mode to bypass the new GDI model.

Mylenium

The freeze/crash problem isn’t due to memory or CPU or GPU.  It’s a bug in Studio.  It happens when you have many parts “behind the camera”, so when you zoom in a big model.

The workaround is to use submodels and to View them (not Edit / double-click them).

On 6/4/2023 at 12:40 AM, Mylenium said:

You graphics driver apparently isn't really working correctly, which seems to be a common issue with Windows 11 and RTX cards in particular. You need to spend some time straightening things out like fiddling with the NVidia settings and possibly installing different driver versions, in particular using a studio driver instead of a gaming driver. As a first step I'd also enable Windows 10 compatibility mode to bypass the new GDI model.

Mylenium

Hmm. I've been thinking for a while that it would probably make sense to wipe this machine and downgrade back to Windows 10, so that may address some of those issues. I'll report back eventually.

On 6/4/2023 at 6:15 AM, SylvainLS said:

The freeze/crash problem isn’t due to memory or CPU or GPU.  It’s a bug in Studio.  It happens when you have many parts “behind the camera”, so when you zoom in a big model.

The workaround is to use submodels and to View them (not Edit / double-click them).

Ahhhh, interesting. That's a useful thing to know. It'll be hard to fix that for my immediate issues (I'm making a very large Star Destroyer and am currently trying to get the hull panels lined up, which doesn't lend itself well to splitting up the model like that; by nessecity I have to be able to see how the whole thing is fitting together), but I'll do what I can. Thank you!

The problem is that STUDIO is an absolute mammoth on your computers resources.

I think task manager can allocate more threads but im not sure about ram. Paging and VAS is another concern.