damian_kane_iv

Suggestions/links for non-English technic forums?

This might seem like a weird question but I've always been curious about the non English-speaking technic communities, namely Russian and Eastern European groups. It seems like people from these countries build some of the craziest and most sophisticated off-road and truck-type technic MOCs. For example, Stas Revin (https://www.youtube.com/@StasRevin) isn't on any English-speaking forums (to the best of my knowledge) but his builds are definitely worth checking out.

I'd like to see more of these builds because some of the techniques and builds they've made are quite impressive. I'm in the U.S. and only speak English so I stick to eurobricks and flickr for technic, but it seems like there's a whole other world out there on non-English forums (Asia too). 

Does anyone here who uses other forums have good suggestions or links?

To the guys in Russia and Eastern Europe; is there any reason that there's a stronger interest in off-road type MOCs? In America, I feel like we're obsessed with supercars and construction to a lesser extent but not much else.

Hey, @damian_kane_iv! Your question is very fresh and correct!

3 hours ago, damian_kane_iv said:

This might seem like a weird question but I've always been curious about the non English-speaking technic communities, namely Russian and Eastern European groups. It seems like people from these countries build some of the craziest and most sophisticated off-road and truck-type technic MOCs. For example, Stas Revin (https://www.youtube.com/@StasRevin) isn't on any English-speaking forums (to the best of my knowledge) but his builds are definitely worth checking out.

I'd like to see more of these builds because some of the techniques and builds they've made are quite impressive. I'm in the U.S. and only speak English so I stick to eurobricks and flickr for technic, but it seems like there's a whole other world out there on non-English forums (Asia too). 

Russian technic community is mostly based on Russian social media platform called "VK". There are 3-4 main technic channels, the biggest of which is Lego Technic Russia: (https://vk.com/technic_club). To register in VK you will need a valid phone number (I guess any number is okay, not necessarily russian one), after that you are free to join the group. Moreover some of Russian builders (Stas Revin for example) has Instagram accounts.

It is worth mentioning that the English Technic community (mostly represented by Eurobricks forum) is a lot bigger than the Russian one! 

3 hours ago, damian_kane_iv said:

To the guys in Russia and Eastern Europe; is there any reason that there's a stronger interest in off-road type MOCs? In America, I feel like we're obsessed with supercars and construction to a lesser extent but not much else.

I don`t feel myself right to answer the question in general, but personally I build 4x4 off-road RC cars for the practical purposes.RC supercars in 1:12 - 1:8 scale do really struggle from bumps, which Russian walkways have a plenty of! 

5 hours ago, Daniel-99 said:

Hey, @damian_kane_iv! Your question is very fresh and correct!

Thanks! It's always interesting how people from different pursue the same hobby

5 hours ago, Daniel-99 said:

Moreover some of Russian builders (Stas Revin for example) has Instagram accounts.

Yeah youtube flickr and instagram are the main sites where I see builders from other countries who aren't on Eurobricks

In Korea - There is no community specializing in technic here. All Technicians are spread out across all different communities or have a team of only a handful of acquaintances.

On 4/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, damian_kane_iv said:

It seems like people from these countries build some of the craziest and most sophisticated off-road and truck-type technic MOCs

I have a theory, a general one (not necessarily related to USA vs Europe) why in case of RC models off-road MOC are more popular than super cars.

When you build a RC supercar - you wish it has the feature of supercar - for example it should be fast. Which is unlikely with pure Lego. (I know I will get answers that it can be done, it is possible bla bla bla. But anyone who is realy building with Lego knows it's limits).

But in other hand, when you build a RC off-road car - you wish it has the feature of off-road car - for example it should be capable of dealing in tough terrain. And it is perfectly possible to do it using pure Lego, I would even say it is quite easy.

And to answer your question, why in Eastern Europe off-road vehicles MOCs are more popular? Maybe because of the environment we're living in? I would say that our environment is much more varied than in USA. So we much often need a vechicle who can deal with something more than flat asphalt road. And this is the source of our interest in such type of MOCs. <- this is my second theory :)

In Poland besides a couple of FB groups you can find a forum: https://www.lugpol.pl/about.php but it is quite small.

P.S. I create MOCs myself and I perfectly fit into your characterization of MOC creators from Eastern Europe :D (but technically Poland is rather central Europe ;) )

Edited by keymaker

Interesting topic, I have also observed that there seems to be a high concentration of good builders in Russia and Poland, and also a lot of RC competition events organized compared to other countries, and wondered why this is the case. I am from Hungary, but I only find a few technic builders here and no events, though I'd really like to participate. So even though you say Russian and Polish groups are small, they still seem to be bigger than in other countries.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:43 AM, keymaker said:

I have a theory, a general one (not necessarily related to USA vs Europe) why in case of RC models off-road MOC are more popular than super cars.

I do agree with your theory about RC offroad being more of a good fit for lego. Also, I think another point might be that there seems to be more technical challenge in building offroad cars than supercars as the mechanisms of suspension / drivetrain are more varied.

I am not sure about your second theory though. True that the roads are often crappy in eastern European countries, but I think the USA has a great deal of off-road culture; they have lots of natural places for it, I'd guess more than in Europe. Also it seems to be a popular  sport among people who like to be in nature. And there are many people in the USA who live out of town literally in the middle of nowhere where they need off-road trucks to get there on a daily basis. At least these are my observations from my latest visit, when I specifically targeted popular off-roading regions (it was amazing :) )