Zilmrud

GoH 10 C: The Port of Zamorah

Massively magnificent layout :wub_drool: So many different buildings and features to discover. One of the first things that caught my attention was the super effective use of wedge slopes topping the beautiful round tower :thumbup: Love the addition of a large crane for loading and unloading cargo at the port, and how you setup numerous vendors under the arches of the dockside level. Speaking of the gallery there, I really like your column design using 1x2 bow bricks

Incorporating buildings into cliff sides is a challenging proposition, but you pulled it off beautifully with the rough stone at the top edge.

I had certainly not forgotten Zamorah, but what better reminder than this!! *oh2*:pir-stareyes: Instantly into the GoH hall of fame, if you ask me! You nailed the unique 'open cave' type of setting, I love the transition of the upper layer buildings to rock. In general, you found a great balance between angular and rounded (stonework) shapes, and the rounded walls bring more diversity and dynamic into the scene. I imagine the the top left facade was particularly challenging! The terraced lay-out and intriguing triple-level passageway is wonderful, but the way you have created variety in the architecture, colour palette, different textures, different materials (stone vs. wood), and the way some buildings are placed forward and others more backward... that's class! :wub: I'm currently trying to do those things in my own megaproject, and I hope it will turn out as well as yours has! The docks with the walls, crane and ship are amazing, but I think my favourite part of this build is the warm and welcoming tavern, with the little market scene on the roof. Love it! Awesome fully decked-out figures too, especially that paladin! Last thing, really cool to see how the miniature translates to the minifig scale build. Of course makes one dream how the rest could look like. :wink:

Hats off for this awe-inspiring piece, man! 

Edited by Exetrius

On 4/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Massively magnificent layout :wub_drool: So many different buildings and features to discover. One of the first things that caught my attention was the super effective use of wedge slopes topping the beautiful round tower :thumbup: Love the addition of a large crane for loading and unloading cargo at the port, and how you setup numerous vendors under the arches of the dockside level. Speaking of the gallery there, I really like your column design using 1x2 bow bricks

Incorporating buildings into cliff sides is a challenging proposition, but you pulled it off beautifully with the rough stone at the top edge.

Thanks so much! It really is a build to be seen IRL. It is difficult to photograph when there are so many different scenes and details.

I think wedge slopes give a soft impression that still looks more organic and menacing like teeth.

The different buisinesses in the different spaces under the vaults were my starting point. But also that they would move to more free buildings the higher up you went. At the beginning I thought that it would be nice to have shed at the top to show the difference. In the past, it was people of a lower class who were allowed to live higher up in the houses, at least in medieval houses in Sweden. I vacillated between them appearing to be buried in caves rather than sticking out like this design. But I thought this looked nicer.

As I wrote a comment earlier, I would have built a higher rock wall above if I only had enough bricks :grin:

On 4/15/2023 at 3:03 PM, Exetrius said:

I had certainly not forgotten Zamorah, but what better reminder than this!! *oh2*:pir-stareyes: Instantly into the GoH hall of fame, if you ask me! You nailed the unique 'open cave' type of setting, I love the transition of the upper layer buildings to rock. In general, you found a great balance between angular and rounded (stonework) shapes, and the rounded walls bring more diversity and dynamic into the scene. I imagine the the top left facade was particularly challenging! The terraced lay-out and intriguing triple-level passageway is wonderful, but the way you have created variety in the architecture, colour palette, different textures, different materials (stone vs. wood), and the way some buildings are placed forward and others more backward... that's class! :wub: I'm currently trying to do those things in my own megaproject, and I hope it will turn out as well as yours has! The docks with the walls, crane and ship are amazing, but I think my favourite part of this build is the warm and welcoming tavern, with the little market scene on the roof. Love it! Awesome fully decked-out figures too, especially that paladin! Last thing, really cool to see how the miniature translates to the minifig scale build. Of course makes one dream how the rest could look like. :wink:

Hats off for this awe-inspiring piece, man! 

Thank you very much! Those are really long and nice compliments you give. I am very grateful!

I don't know if it would fit in the GoH Hall of Fame. But thanks for saying that.

When you build castles, you tend to stick to one style as it usually feelplmessy to mix. But I thought you could tell that the buildings have been built in stages over the years and that it therefore differs in construction style. For example, the round tower which is a defensive structure located inside the outer wall so it looks like the outer wall was built afterwards. And that there is a difference in how worn the buildings are.

When larger buildings and castles were built in the past, they were usually built over several hundred years with fires and other things in between. So the castles usually have mixed architectural influences. I thought a bit like that when I built it.

I hope we get to see your megaproject soon! One tip is to have a clear deadline.

I like building figures. And to get them to clearly show which social class and which profession they belong to. My Palladin is one of my favorites that I built a long time ago, like when the helmet set was released. But this is the first build that he is involved in.

I don't think we'll ever see the full Zamorah in minifig scale. but I hope to be able to build more parts that can be put together into a whole. Much of what I have built is outside the city.

Many thanks again for the nice feedback.

3 hours ago, _TLG_ said:

Wow! It is really cool, so many nice details!

Thanks alot! I'm glad you liked it!

Stunning! Such an impressive layout. The layers going up into the rockwork are well done. And I really like that it's based on an earlier build microscale moc! Love those Bear Knights!