Sign in to follow this  
mink66

UPDATE: Pictures of Republic Bricks Version 1 now included...UCS style Mandalorian Kom'rk-class fighter/transport (Gauntlet Starfighter Mark 3)

Has anyone ever attempted to build a UCS style Mandalorian Kom'rk-class fighter/transport (Gauntlet Starfighter) like the one Bo-Katan uses in the Mandalorian?  I've always loved the design of this ship.  The recent system scale Lego Star Wars set pales in comparison to the 2012 Pre Vizsla set and it got me to wondering if anyone has tried a mini-figure scale version using lots of snot techniques, etc.  I quick search on here, on rebrickable, and on google didn't result in anything beyond some different color versions for Darth Maul's Shadow Collective.

The Falcon, minifig scale model is already a large size and that's 34.75 meters long and 7.8 meters tall. This ship is 68 meters or 52.3 meters long and 52.4 meters wide at a height of 13.23 meters. If we assume the falcon is a disk, the fighter bounding box has 5 times the volume of the falcon. Sure, it has gaps but still looking at many times the part count and size, while being much less iconic. It's a pretty ship, especially the more sleek version, but oversized for mini-fig scale to be popular; at half mini-fig scale or less I'd say it's tempting, but not larger.

Thanks for the reply!  Oh wow, you are correct!  I never realized how huge these Gauntlet starfighters are.  I would never expect Lego to produce such a huge UCS set, but I'm still surprised by the almost total lack of MOC's for this ship.  Maybe the extra attention this ship is getting in The Mandalorian will inspire some of the master builders to work on a MOC.

It might be possible to make one near minifig scale but don't think it would be very stable unless it's either fixed in the landing position or attached to a complex display stand. It's a big ship as we saw in season 2 when it was parked next to the Slave 1 and Lambda-class.

4gl8jp0zvw561.jpg

Actually, now that it's been updated to 29.6 meters long, which is shorter than the falcon, I plan on making a minifig-scale version of this. I have a few other MOCs I'm working on in parallel, but this next up.

15 hours ago, Irrationable said:

I recently stumbled across a decent moc build on mecabricks that looks to be close to minifig scale. It's inspired me to take a crack at my own version using Stud.Io

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/JV2yAJL92yQ

Nice!  That's more like what I am talking about.  Is the link to your MOC or the one that inspired you?  I'm wondering how are the studs facing out on both sides of the flat wings?

19 hours ago, mink66 said:

Nice!  That's more like what I am talking about.  Is the link to your MOC or the one that inspired you?  I'm wondering how are the studs facing out on both sides of the flat wings?

This is a build that inspired me to take my own attempt. I've been busy working on another project at the moment, but it looks like you can use the editor function on mecabricks to pick apart an existing model. I'm curious how they managed the wings as well.

On 3/25/2023 at 2:52 AM, Mandalore_The_Indomitable said:

I saw one of Bo-Katan's Gauntlet that didn't look half bad, from REPUBLICBRICKS. It's on their IG profile.

Wow!  The Republic Bricks version is impressive, so impressive I bought one while it is on sale!  Can wait to build this beauty! 

https://republicbricks.com/products/ucs-galactic-heiress-gauntlet-fighter?_pos=9&_sid=e5fb9c7b7&_ss=r

On 3/27/2023 at 11:43 AM, mink66 said:

Wow!  The Republic Bricks version is impressive, so impressive I bought one while it is on sale!  Can wait to build this beauty! 

https://republicbricks.com/products/ucs-galactic-heiress-gauntlet-fighter?_pos=9&_sid=e5fb9c7b7&_ss=r

I couldn't resist either. Hopefully it looks just as good in person as it does in the renders.

Although I might use the parts and reverse engineer the design to create an even larger version if I'm feeling ambitious. 

I wonder how big a minifig scale would be?

Cockpit that can fit a pilot, navigator and a 3rd.

+ belly bay that could fit Mandalorians, ready to be dropped down.

Sylyphics, 29,6meters long? That I think is more reasonable than the +52meters I seen mentioned in wookiepedia etc.

I do think that the Fang-class length of 6 meters, should be closer to 8-9meters.

On 3/23/2023 at 1:39 AM, Irrationable said:

I recently stumbled across a decent moc build on mecabricks that looks to be close to minifig scale. It's inspired me to take a crack at my own version using Stud.Io

https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/JV2yAJL92yQ

Looks good. Would it be possible to make the wings using the SNOT techniques used for the UCS Imperial Shuttle wings?

21 hours ago, Shiva said:

I wonder how big a minifig scale would be?

Cockpit that can fit a pilot, navigator and a 3rd.

+ belly bay that could fit Mandalorians, ready to be dropped down.

Sylyphics, 29,6meters long? That I think is more reasonable than the +52meters I seen mentioned in wookiepedia etc.

I do think that the Fang-class length of 6 meters, should be closer to 8-9meters.

This link here has a comparison image and goes into depth about where 29.6 comes from:

Thank you for that link. Yeah, it seems to be Kom'rk Mark 3.

I wonder, could 24121's be used for the turning function? Or is it too big for Mark 3?

24121 is too big, would make a 22 x 22 circle; minifig-scale would be more in the ballpark of 10 x 10 for that part to be accurately scaled.

21x21circle "studs". The pieces are 11x11, including connector. Correct size? 15x15, or thereabouts? might have been quite close. I think of the turning function to turn both wings 90degrees.

15x15 = 3x brickfig height. But if the turning function would be 4 figs height, then 21x21 gets quite close. "minifig =5 studs=4bricks"

For the landing mode, there the 18938 + 18939 should be fitting?

My brother is trying to build one based off the 29 meter one, I think that is the most realistic based off what we see in The Mandalorian.  

Finally got a chance to put this amazing ship together. Here is the Republic Bricks Version 1 of the Kom'rk Gauntlet Starfighter Mark 3.  Awesome looking ship with lots of cool details.  It has a front ramp, but no hallway for the drop bay doors to open, no rear ramp, and the cockpit can only fit two Mandalorians and Grogu.  The middle fuselage does rotate so the wings could theoretically be positioned in the up and down position, but I have no idea how you could ever display it like that with the current build structure. Definitely not swooshable and there are some weak spots.  It can be positioned in level flight mode with the help of a stand underneath to support the wings or in landing mode which still required a few modifications of my own to make it strong enough and sit level.  At 1753 pieces it is definitely worth it for the coolness factor though.  I'm satisfied.

52901689147_0f29887494_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902646905_3cd7a16fa7_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52901689102_c77617f9aa_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52901689057_0e9ebc4ea3_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902258271_c11da3cc19_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902707993_112ceb1b5a_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

Edited by mink66

12 minutes ago, mink66 said:

Finally got a chance to put this amazing ship together. Here is the Republic Bricks Version 1 of the Kom'rk Gauntlet Starfighter Mark 3.  Awesome looking ship with lots of cool details.  It has a front ramp, but no hallway for the drop bay doors to open, no rear ramp, and the cockpit can only fit two Mandalorians and Grogu.  The middle fuselage does rotate so the wings could theoretically be positioned in the up and down position, but I have no idea how you could ever display it like that with the current build structure. Definitely not swooshable and there are some weak spots.  It can be positioned in level flight mode with the help of a stand underneath to support the wings or in landing mode which still required a few modifications of my own to make it strong enough and sit level.  At 1753 pieces it is definitely worth it for the coolness factor though.  I'm satisfied.

52901689147_0f29887494_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902646905_3cd7a16fa7_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52901689102_c77617f9aa_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52901689057_0e9ebc4ea3_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902258271_c11da3cc19_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

52902707993_112ceb1b5a_c.jpgKom’rk Gauntlet Class Starfighter Mark 3 by Shawn Minkey, on Flickr

That actually looks pretty good, first really good one of these I've seen.

Nice built :)

They have now released a version 2 of that.

And a playscale version too.

That looks really nice. Are the instructions available on their own or do you have to buy the full kit? I can't see a link to the instructions on the site.