Sign in to follow this  
Brick-Wombat

[MOC] Arquitens Cruiser by TapirTech - WiP

Started working on TapirTech's Arquitens cruiser. Will share occasional build updates for those interested. 

It's really a stunning model, and instructions can be purchased via the BrickCollective. Bricklink cost was ~$600 USD.

Spoiler

Moff Gideon's Light Cruiser

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Hangar section is coming together. 

I added some trans-blue windscreens to represent the atmospheric shield, but these can be easily removed if needed.

Arquitens Cruiser WiP #3

6 hours ago, Brick-Wombat said:

Hangar section is coming together. 

I added some trans-blue windscreens to represent the atmospheric shield, but these can be easily removed if needed.

Arquitens Cruiser WiP #3

Very nice touch with the windscreens!

I experienced the biggest "wow" moment working on the rear keel panels. The build was smooth, incredibly modular, and the subassemblies fit perfectly (and very satisfyingly) into place. For a model as large as this, it is also more rigid than I expected.

Arquitens Cruiser WiP #4

We now have half a ship! Maybe not the most glamorous shot, but we'll get there.

Also, I may have taken some creative liberties with the point defense lasers in the greebles. It never made sense to me that Gideon's "upgraded" Arquitens would ONLY have quad turbolasers. We saw how effective they were in season 2 against Boba Fett's (very large) fighter. *huh* In my mind, this is much more practical... and the Arquitens was a highly customizable ship in universe, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable. 

Arquitens Cruiser WiP #6

Edited by Brick-Wombat

Okay fellow AFOLs, I need your opinion on the turrets.

TapirTech's turrets look quite good (left), but they're a little too big for the ship (see the image in the spoiler). Additionally, they can only rotate up to ~45deg. 

The second iteration (middle) is more reminiscent of the traditional Arquitens, but manages a slightly smaller profile. Unfortunately, it's the most delicate of the three.

The third iteration (right) is the most compact and robust of the three. I think it captured the overall shape well, but it only has two barrels. :sceptic:

Thoughts? Any suggested alternatives? 

Arquitens Turret Options

Spoiler

devkkxz-2013d907-e43f-41e6-8350-96b9cb07

22 hours ago, Brick-Wombat said:

The third iteration (right) is the most compact and robust of the three. I think it captured the overall shape well, but it only has two barrels. :sceptic:

Thoughts? Any suggested alternatives?

You might want to try using part 95199 with binoculars attached to get both barrels in a smaller turret, but the handle could get in the way of elevation

Think the best solution for the third iteration would be part 41677 slid onto the 61184 technic pin with a second 61184 in the second axle hole to achieve 4 barrels. Shouldn't interfere with range of motion

On 4/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, watsonogram said:

Think the best solution for the third iteration would be part 41677 slid onto the 61184 technic pin with a second 61184 in the second axle hole to achieve 4 barrels. Shouldn't interfere with range of motion

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried your idea using 35480. Is the image below what you were envisioning? If so, the challenge with this is that the barrels are spaced too far apart vertically and will interfere with the rotation of the turrent. The spacing of the binoculars would really be ideal. 

Spoiler

dvWP216.jpg

On 4/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, ForgedInLego said:

You might want to try using part 95199 with binoculars attached to get both barrels in a smaller turret, but the handle could get in the way of elevation

I gave binoculars another try. I had to make the turret considerably larger so that the barrels could elevate. Unfortunately it's MUCH more fragile. Multiple 1-stud connections. *huh* I suppose as a display model, fragility may be an acceptible tradeoff. 

Spoiler

s2ZY08R.jpg