Sign in to follow this  
Pchan1983

REVIEW: 80044 Monkie Kid's Team Hideout

Here is my review on 80044 Monkie Kid's Team Hideout:

THE GOOD:

• Looks great.
  • Great building experience with so much details.
  • Love the bamboo builds.
  • Lots of cool references from graphic designs.
  • Maximum playability.
  • Excellent minifigures.
  • Unique Monkie Kid's weapon pack!
  • Great pricing!

THE NOT SO GOOD:

• When combined with 80036 City of Lanterns, it doesn't look as good because the some of theme just don't fit that well.

This simply one of my TOP 5 Monkie Kid set, looks great, fun to build, lots of playability and great value!  The set on its own, while buildings are open back doll house style, it still has so much depth.  Beyond that, each areas have so many details and nice small builds incorporated into the design of this set.  I personally love the bamboo trees.  There are just so many nice reference to LEGO and Journey to the West.  The minifigures are excellent and the new weapon pack is just so good for people who likes Journey to the West.  Even the villain extension is great and in my opinion way better than Marvel's Vulture from Spider-Man sets last year. More over, you can even combine this with 80036 City of Lanterns.  However, I do find this set looks better on its own because when combined, some of the buildings just don't look right with this set more traditional style buildings compared to the modern design in 80036.  Having said that, this is going to be super cool feature for kids.  At RRP $180 NZD, it's very good value considering what you get from this.  Definitely a recommendation from me!

Very nice review!

I agree that it doesn't necessarily pair that well with City of Lanterns, but I appreciate the modularity anyway–I've already expanded my City of Lanterns set both with existing and custom modules, so being able to do the same with this will be great (especially if any future sets include other modules that better suit this set's rural, mountainous aesthetic).

On 1/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, Lyichir said:

Very nice review!

I agree that it doesn't necessarily pair that well with City of Lanterns, but I appreciate the modularity anyway–I've already expanded my City of Lanterns set both with existing and custom modules, so being able to do the same with this will be great (especially if any future sets include other modules that better suit this set's rural, mountainous aesthetic).

Thank you.  I think this one pairs well with Flower Fruits Mountain.  Hope we get more location sets next year but the sells of monkie kid aren't good in western countries so let's see.

On 1/23/2023 at 12:59 AM, Pchan1983 said:

Thank you.  I think this one pairs well with Flower Fruits Mountain.  Hope we get more location sets next year but the sells of monkie kid aren't good in western countries so let's see.

Agreed. I think it will pair better with the Mountain, even though it won’t integrate like its shown to with City of Lanterns. I’m not sure what sales are over here, but it’s definitely the fault of LEGO themselves. I tend to wander into Barnes & Noble or Target & make impulse buys semi regularly...none of which are MK since they aren’t available.