Sign in to follow this  
Henchmen4Hire

How do you start your Speed Champions MOCs?

Hey peeps, I got the urge to improve my 8-wide vehicle builds again and was wondering if maybe I've been doing things the hard way all this time.

How do you start your Speed Champions MOCs? Have you developed your own go-to techniques?

Usually I don't use pre-built bases, I usually start with the tire/wheel assembly attached to some Technic bricks, then figure out the wheelbase (distance between the front and rear axles) and build around that.

For this build though, I wanted to try using the traditional Speed Champions base.

For example, I'm working on an modern Acura NSX, I know the life-size Countach has a 96 inch wheel base, and the NSX has about 103 inches, so I added a stud of length to the LEGO Countach's wheelbase. Once I work on the body I'll be able to tell if I need to adjust it to keep things in correct proportions.

We've all seen how the official designers work miracles with this base, so I'm hoping I stumble onto one of my own lol

Screenshot-2022-12-30-220331.jpg

Edit: After some tinkering, I def had to extend the wheelbase another stud.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I usually start with the tire/wheel assembly attached to some Technic bricks, then figure out the wheelbase (distance between the front and rear axles) and build around that.

This is what I do. Then decide what wheelarch peice to use, then I find blueprints of the vehicle, put it into a GIMP file, overlay the wheel assembly with technic bricks made in Stud.io over the image, and use that as a reference for scaling.

image.png.d5a3ab242ae9c0df034bd0bb9effea62.png

The rest rinvolves thinking what bricks I need to have, where, to acheive the desired look, and what crazy hair brained LDU offset trickery I have to do to acheive them.

I did go for that particular base in one MOC of mine, as it allows you to do the effect you did with the brackets affixed to the side as sideskirts. For smaller cars, that plus the jumper offset they have for the interior is very useful.

7 hours ago, EvilEnderman said:

I did go for that particular base in one MOC of mine, as it allows you to do the effect you did with the brackets affixed to the side as sideskirts. For smaller cars, that plus the jumper offset they have for the interior is very useful.

I have to agree, I usually make bulkier vehicles where I have more room to work with and even make weird connections for the wheels, but this base has been a quick start for these sportscar types.

I miss having opening doors though!

ACURA-NSX-2021.png

Edited by Henchmen4Hire