Sign in to follow this  
Legownz

[MOC] Metroliner Switcher

Hi Everyone!

Life has been busy for me recently, so I haven't gotten much time to build. However, I found some free time recently and put a small something together. There's a little bit of a story that goes along with it.

Many months ago, I realized I had an odd few train pieces in my collection that I didn't know what to do with. More specifically, it was 2 left doors from the Metroliner (Bricklink Entry) and the angled base piece to the Railway Express locomotive (Bricklink Entry). Out of curiosity, I attempted to use those parts with a spare train motor I had to make a small locomotive in the same color scheme as the Metroliner. I didn't get super far before realizing I didn't have exactly the parts I wanted to make it right. I stepped away from it, but it had been in the back of my mind since then. So, when I had some free time recently, I decided to try making it digitally. This time I was able to get it closer to what I was envisioning: a 90s/9v styled small switching locomotive in the Metroliner livery and would spend its days shunting Club Cars! :laugh:

52537544655_906f759280_b.jpg

52537360909_17dba9d948_b.jpg

The interior has 2 small, printed console pieces and a yellow chair that are identical to ones found in the Metroliner set, though it's a little more cramped here. 

I know the rear railings aren't 9v era, but it was one of the main ideas I had when I first tried it in bricks, so I wanted to keep that one modern element. Also, the rear door doesn't open due to it sitting on that wedge plate and I didn't want to make it any taller than it already was. All the colors did work out for parts, except for the light housing on the front which was never made in light gray. However, I don't think I'll actually make this in real bricks (as it was a "just for fun" thing and I have no plans to start running 9v trains in the future), so it doesn't matter too much. At the very end, I decided to try integrating the large access doors from the Metroliner set into it and create a "high hood" switcher, similar to a BR Class 08. Here was the result:

52537360894_63dc394d68_b.jpg

This was definitely not my prettiest model, nor my most complex, but it was a fun little experiment and I think it was worth spending the time on and indulging in the idea. If you have any further ideas on this design, I'd love to hear them! Thanks for looking!

To be honest, I like the last one much more, it looks more powerful and cute at the same time + DOORS so you could make some kind of engine or decor in it or use it as storage 

3 hours ago, Darkkostas25 said:

To be honest, I like the last one much more, it looks more powerful and cute at the same time + DOORS so you could make some kind of engine or decor in it or use it as storage 

I agree, and will add that it looks like a chibi Class 08 switcher. I say it's like that because class 08's have three wheelsets, and this loco only has two. (and it's a bit shorter, as a result)

Great work @Legownz, it's a very cute looking locomotive!

if you open up a powered up hub a 9v battery might fit into the cab and the hub pcb should fit into the hood thus making a working locomotive even without 9v.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:59 AM, Darkkostas25 said:

On 12/2/2022 at 7:45 AM, Murdoch17 said:

I agree, and will add that it looks like a chibi Class 08 switcher. I say it's like that because class 08's have three wheelsets, and this loco only has two. (and it's a bit shorter, as a result)

14 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Very nice shunter!!!

The enhanced version in my opinion looks better and easily could be an interesting "B" model of the Metroliner 😍

Thank you! I'm honestly surprised the second version is the crowd favorite! I thought it was the uglier of the two by far. I might go back to this project then in the future and put some more detail on the inside and refine it further.

12 hours ago, XG BC said:

if you open up a powered up hub a 9v battery might fit into the cab and the hub pcb should fit into the hood thus making a working locomotive even without 9v.

Ooh! That's a good idea! I just stuck with the 9v since it fits the Metroliner theme, and I don't plan on making it in real bricks.