NOTW

Brick Identification Help

Looking to build these battle droids from YouTube user hachiroku24, he has given a parts list as a photo.  I am new to Lego so I am not familiar with all the part names. Does anyone have this in a list with part numbers so I can order the pieces or is willing to help me find the part numbers?  Thank you!!

Battle Droid.jpg

Battle Droid_Parts.jpg

The naming conventions with Bricklink are weird, so I'll try to give you a rundown of the basics. Each part usually has a basic "name", a size, and additional descriptors.

The flat smooth parts are tiles, the flat parts with studs are plates, the parts with studs on the sides are brackets, the droid arms are robot arms, the 3l rod is a bar, the curved parts are curves, the cheese wedge parts are slopes, etc.

Next the size is usually the smaller number first, except in slopes and curves where the first number is in the direction of the slope / curve.

If it is round (not an inverted dish) it usually has "round" at the end. If it has some weird add on to it, like a ball joint, "modified" is added to the name, and a short description.

If you ever can't find a part through this, find a set with the same part (color does not matter to the name) and look through the set inventory until you find the part you are looking for. 

Just as an example, the light grey ball joint part is Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Small Tow Ball Socket on End or 14418

Good luck and happy searching!

Try using the stud.io app on a computer. What you can do is put the required parts in the program and then upload the file to bricklink. stud.io is very easy to use, and there are probably better explanations.

I have gone through and found the majority of the parts on BrickOwl, can someone help me with the 2 parts?  I can't seem to get my image small enough to post it is the black 'barrel' under the 2 disc closest together and the light gray part beside the 6  bar 1L pieces.  Also, where is the better place to order from, BrickOwl was a little easier to find things on but if BrickLink is better and cheaper I would prefer to order from there?

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

I have gone through and found the majority of the parts on BrickOwl, can someone help me with the 2 parts?  I can't seem to get my image small enough to post it is the black 'barrel' under the 2 disc closest together and the light gray part beside the 6  bar 1L pieces.  Also, where is the better place to order from, BrickOwl was a little easier to find things on but if BrickLink is better and cheaper I would prefer to order from there?

Looks like the two parts you're missing are Bar Holder With Handle 23443 and Technic, Pin Connector Round 2L with Slot (Pin Joiner Round) 62462

Cant say whether BrickOwl is better, I've only ever used Bricklink

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Also, where is the better place to order from, BrickOwl was a little easier to find things on but if BrickLink is better and cheaper I would prefer to order from there?

BrickLink and BrickOwl both work like EBay, in that they're marketplaces that connect individual sellers and buyers rather than single stores. The average prices are typically going to be similar for both of them, but with the caveat that a) there are often very large differences in price for the same part between individual sellers and b) for something like this where you're only buying a few dozen parts, it's very likely that the price of shipping is going to cost at least as much as the bricks themselves, so the seller's location may matter more than just what they're charging. Both websites have a 'wanted list' feature that lets you import/export a list of parts and a 'buy all' feature that'll do a good job of finding the cheapest store or stores to order from, so you can play around with both by exporting your parts list from BrickOwl and importing it into BrickLink and see which one will do better. BrickLink is usually the go-to for most of the community because a) it's just bigger and has more sellers, which usually gives you better odds of getting a good deal and b), it's owned directly by LEGO themselves and is (debatably) more tightly controlled; but for any individual order there might happen to be a seller on BrickOwl that has the exact combination of parts you need for cheaper than you can get them on BrickLink, or vice versa, so poke around and see what works best for you.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

12 hours ago, NOTW said:

Echoing the rest... never used Brickowl - well..actually I may have used them once.

If I was going to order Lego's - I'd look at Lego's "pick a brick" to see if you can compete if you're having to buy bricks in bulk.

(I'll warn you right now - they do not play nice when it comes to how they pack their product - makes counting a pain)

Bircklink is next - but their web interface is complete trash. When it comes to fine tuning and ease of use in terms of shopping across multiple "Sellers" - you will find yourself taking your time cherry picking best options. Careful - you may find yourself ordering parts out of country - double check your work.

The biggest problem with brick link is you may find your parts - but many sellers will have a minimum buy order requirement to meet - shipping can also be a potential curve ball. Or you end up buying from multiple sellers. The trick is to have as few sellers as possible - makes things simple.

Lastly - Ebay - Ebay is streamlined obviously - but your selection will be limited and you will be forced to buy more than you need (specially if your talking onsey's twoseys) Generally I use them as a last resort.

If your going to do this - Build your models out in Stud.io FIRST.

Then export a bricklink XML list so you give yourself a checklist (CAREFUL - make sure to audit your parts as things get funny funny in Stud.IO sometimes - specially with complex models)

At least this way you know what you need and how many.

Also buy used - 9 times out of 10 you will find its just fine with minor denting. Occasionally I encounter a worn part (hinge/etc.)

For rare parts - seek out a local shop if you can - may be cheaper by the time your done.

You get what you put into it really.

Last piece of advice - when you get your order - count your bricks - inventory them out - mistakes will be made - don't wait too long on getting back to your sellers to ensure they know they shorted you - if it happens. Human hands count those parts. Its bound to be a thing.

Edited by Kage Goomba