CrappyMocMaker

Scarif Citadel Tower (WIP)

This is a first draft of sorts, I don't know much about large builds but I am certain that this can't hold its own weight. Making it more stable would mean cutting rooms out, so I figured I would post this first!

Some stats:

1.2x1.2x2.88 ft

5400 pieces

Exterior shot:

52253355272_b33295d5b8_z.jpg

Interior overview:

52253355122_b1e34d8924_z.jpg

On the first floor I put a small speeder garage:

52253360062_8c39937f0f_z.jpg

The left hand side of the first and second floors have an elevator; pulling on the red knobs opens the door to the elevator.

52253360287_756194572d_z.jpg

The second story elevator leads to the observation deck:

52254349143_e06e1d18b7_z.jpg

The observation deck slides out so that minifigures can be placed, here's what it looks like separated from the main build:

52254329206_0492d81678_z.jpg

The third floor has the data vault. On the left, you can see the winch system used to raise the elevator. The vault door can open and close thanks to door rails. 

52254617069_83f620b8f9_z.jpg

Right behind K2SO there was some empty space, so I put a hidden minikit there:

52254349998_d43f12a50e_z.jpg

Behind The data vault door is the vault control room. It overlooks the bottom of the data tower.

52254617414_37b99ec9d0_z.jpg

The data spire extends through the upper section of the citadel. I included a doorway for Krennic to come out of, as well as a catwalk.

52254618104_0fc5f5b7ac_z.jpg

The data spire opens into the final confrontation area:

52254829690_960a0a9d5b_z.jpg

Lastly, here's the top of the tower. There was a small room where I originally wanted to put the final confrontation in, but it ended up being too small, so I put another minikit there.

52254331801_71cd43000f_z.jpg

What are your thoughts on this build? Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

Link to the model: https://www.mecabricks.com/en/models/7l2Bnz8p20N

For structural purposes, I would get rid of the speeder garage and add supports going all the way up. If there is still space, then a small mess hall would work. Looks amazing, but just needs the extra support.

Looks awesome! I think you actually might be ok structurally, though I wouldn't do a physical build of this soley based on my structural advice. Legos are surprisingly strong, and those black pylons should be able to keep the higher levels held up from that side.

Also, I remembered you said you wanted to compare our scarif citadel towers... I haven't started mine yet, but you won. Mine was gonna be ~1500 pcs.

2 hours ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

For structural purposes, I would get rid of the speeder garage and add supports going all the way up. If there is still space, then a small mess hall would work. Looks amazing, but just needs the extra support.

Thanks for your advice on stability! I'm going to wait for more opinions for now, but I'm definitely thinking about adding more support. The mess hall is a great idea, I think I'm going to replace the speeder garage with that!

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Looks awesome! I think you actually might be ok structurally, though I wouldn't do a physical build of this soley based on my structural advice. Legos are surprisingly strong, and those black pylons should be able to keep the higher levels held up from that side.

Also, I remembered you said you wanted to compare our scarif citadel towers... I haven't started mine yet, but you won. Mine was gonna be ~1500 pcs.

Size matters not! A lot of small parts are used in my moc where larger parts would've worked. Making the tower with a much more limited amount of parts is definitely going to be a challenge, and I look forward to seeing your version!

36 minutes ago, Sine qua non said:

Link doesn’t work for me. 
Are you going to test build it to see if it works?

hmm, that's odd. I'm not sure why, maybe try again now? As for building this in real life... currently I'm happy with leaving this as a virtual model. Maybe in the future I will, but probably not anytime soon!

This is great. I love how you've managed to fit basically every major Citadel scene from the movie in there.

In terms of stability, without looking at it in detail I think it seems ok structurally (always worth a test build it possible, of course). The only concern I would have would be that it would tip forwards quite easily, so perhaps putting some Scarif beaches to widen the base out front might be an idea? It would help to break up the grey a bit as well, and you could even try to fit in that pod that Cassian and Jyn use to get to the tower, even if it's at a smaller scale than the rest.

12 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

This is great. I love how you've managed to fit basically every major Citadel scene from the movie in there.

In terms of stability, without looking at it in detail I think it seems ok structurally (always worth a test build it possible, of course). The only concern I would have would be that it would tip forwards quite easily, so perhaps putting some Scarif beaches to widen the base out front might be an idea? It would help to break up the grey a bit as well, and you could even try to fit in that pod that Cassian and Jyn use to get to the tower, even if it's at a smaller scale than the rest.

This - give it a uniform base to stand on with some anchoring to keep it from tipping and you should be golden.

14 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

2 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

This - give it a uniform base to stand on with some anchoring to keep it from tipping and you should be golden.

Part of the beach battle outside the citadel sounds like a great idea!

Current todo list for draft 2:

1. Mess hall + more support on the first floor for the third floor

2. increase base to beach w/ transport pod

3. larger radio dish

Any more suggestions are welcome! 

On 8/1/2022 at 5:23 PM, CrappyMocMaker said:

Current todo list for draft 2:

1. Mess hall + more support on the first floor for the third floor

2. increase base to beach w/ transport pod

3. larger radio dish

Any more suggestions are welcome! 

If you're doing a mess hall, add Lunch Trooper. I know the planet's not right but hey, he's a shoretrooper. May he rest in peace.

I'd love to see the updates on this if you've got them!

On 8/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, Mandalorianknight said:

If you're doing a mess hall, add Lunch Trooper. I know the planet's not right but hey, he's a shoretrooper. May he rest in peace.

I'd love to see the updates on this if you've got them!

Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy lately. Anyway, here's the kitchen/mess hall! I'm not done with the exterior yet, but when I'm done I'll post more pictures of it.

No Imperial base is complete without a mess hall, a place where stormtroopers and officers alike can enjoy a hearty meal after a long day of oppressing civilians!

52332319903_528e3a586a.jpg

Enjoyment, of course, is subject to opinion.

52332380724_5a6a2fe2e6.jpg

1 hour ago, CrappyMocMaker said:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy lately. Anyway, here's the kitchen/mess hall! I'm not done with the exterior yet, but when I'm done I'll post more pictures of it.

No Imperial base is complete without a mess hall, a place where stormtroopers and officers alike can enjoy a hearty meal after a long day of oppressing civilians!

No problem. Mess hall looks great, as does the posing! I love how offended the chef trooper seems that the shoretrooper doesn't like his cooking.

I'm almost done with my Citadel tower, here's a pic of the WIP exterior:

Spoiler

Scarif%20In%20Progress%203.png