Sign in to follow this  
Tube Map Central

[MOC-WIP] mercury arc rectifier!

This is a little bit crazy, and unfinished, but it's still worth showing ...

Most electrified railway networks in the first half of the 20th century ran on direct current but received alternating current from power stations. Initially this was converted to DC using rotary convertors (also known as motor generators). With moving parts, these were relatively high maintenance, and many of them were replaced with mercury arc rectifiers, the most beautiful electronic devices ever created.

I wanted to try to get the shape and effect of these in Lego, the challenge is modelling the complex glasswork, especially SNOT connections. I'm now hoping that one day TLG will produce balloon panels in trans-clear so that I can finish this! 

The end result is way too tall. If the two-high cylinder panels ever appear in trans-clear I can drop the height by three bricks. Even then this massive structure dwarfs the minifigures, but that adds to the mad-scientist effect of the original. I couldn't resist adding the decorative centrepiece to the top.

The geometry is slightly off but it's only noticeable on close inspection and the structure is strong overall.

MAR1.jpg

MAR2.jpg

I did not even know that this was a thing! Its a great looking model and I learned a little bit of history to.

looks pretty awesome. now i have to make a old style power station but that will have to wait.

Thanks to everyone for kind words ...

14 hours ago, XG BC said:

looks pretty awesome. now i have to make a old style power station but that will have to wait.

I really look forward to that! Liked this one on Ideas a lot.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3e044455-d651-4022-b78f-9eaadff9abab

Would love to see a Lego competition: build a Moc in which one of our production parts isn't available in a colour you need. First prize would be the part specially recoloured.

Not saying I would win, but I would definitely enter.

i would probably focus on the electrical side more so old style transformers, gauges, switch panels and ofcourse the mercury arc rectifiers will be the main pieces. i kind of like old electrical equipment from the early days with white porcellan insulators.