langko

(MOC) Pagani Huayra 1:8 (Instructions Available!)

Thanks a lot guys for the instructions !
Instructions purchased, now I just the parts (and decide which colour I want to go for).

The Peugeot 9x8 is due to be released in less in a month, and the car is grey.
I'm wondering if we'll then be able to have the fenders in grey, on top of the black and red already offered.

On 4/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, Ethan0080 said:

just bought all the parts i need. Now just waiting

6 hours ago, Ethan0080 said:

I might do blue black and gold rim

Awesome! Look forward to seeing your version

On 4/5/2023 at 11:19 PM, Teo LEGO Technic said:

This build is just astounding! I have no words, I'm simply amazed this thing is actually made from LEGO - I can't believe how seamless the panelling is, and the rear engine bay in particular is a work of art with the yellow and purple complementary colours and golden highlights. 

This is one of the greats in my opinion :pir-love:

Thank you for the very nice words! Pagani's are very much works of art, so I hope we could do the car justice :pir-sweet:

On 4/6/2023 at 2:51 AM, R4ph said:

Thanks a lot guys for the instructions !
Instructions purchased, now I just the parts (and decide which colour I want to go for).

3 hours ago, R4ph said:

The Peugeot 9x8 is due to be released in less in a month, and the car is grey.
I'm wondering if we'll then be able to have the fenders in grey, on top of the black and red already offered.

You're most welcome!

Yes I have been thinking about that as well in regards to the Peugeot. Will see if it will be in LBG or DBG but even if the wheel arches are the correct ones there are still missing panels/parts in either colour... Will have to wait and see :thumbup:

800x600.jpeg

Glad to get this underway, thanks to @langko fantastic design and @astyanax clear instructions.

Wow, the 4,700+ parts list though, it’s been a steady stream of courier deliveries over the last few weeks. I already had a good stash of Red panels and parts from multiple 42125 sets - so will go the Red & Gold colourway.

I now have the bulk of the parts, just waiting for 5 x 7 Liftarm Frames and the new 9L Shock Absorbers to arrive from Australia - nothing available in New Zealand. I brought a couple of 42153 Nascar Camaros with 25% off - a good parts pack, especially for those 2 x 1 Axle/Hole Liftarm in Red! ✌

Started off building the gearbox and motor module this morning, impressed with how smooth it runs with all the new gears.

Hopefully get it finished early May all going well.

Edited by LegoHoops

3 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

Glad to get this underway, thanks to @langko fantastic design and @astyanax clear instructions.

Wow, the 4,700+ parts list though,

Yup the part count suprised me initially…. But there are well over 1000+ parts in pin variants alone and then when you include all the details (4 bags adds 100ish pieces) it adds up quick. I think the fact that everything opens up adds to the part count - everything has to be more polished and detailed as everything both inside and out is on display.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the build, the Italian flags near the mirrors is a nice touch :thumbup:

Just out of curiosity, I counted how the parts are distributed...

In build order:

• floor, shifter tunnel & gearbox: 432
  • seats (together): 204
  • fake engine module: 206
  • rear axle module: 763
  • front axle module: 873
  • side modules: 472
  • brakes & wheels: 48
  • dash (incl. instruments, steering wheel, A/C, glove compartment, pedals): 294
  • roof & cage: 272
  • removable engine cover: 76
  • rear clamshell: 481
  • frunk: 187
  • doors (together): 314
  • baggage (with contents) & HOG: 104 

Together that's 20 more than 4706 as per the official inventory; the discrepancy is due to me counting here directly from the virtual model which contains some temporary helper parts.

I wonder how the adjustable ride height system works without the pressure of the shocks skipping or breaking the gears teeth , etc

Is it possible to get just a LDR file or a few images of just the front bit in question?

8 hours ago, SNIPE said:

I wonder how the adjustable ride height system works without the pressure of the shocks skipping or breaking the gears teeth , etc

Is it possible to get just a LDR file or a few images of just the front bit in question?

The bare mechanism is shown below. The 'trick' is just LOTS of bracing. Surely there's a lot of pressure on the teeth of the 8T gears, but they're with two of them, and neither me nor any of the test builders had issues with breaking them. :pir-sweet:

640x547.png

@langko's original mechanism was shown in this post but I had to change it to the one shown above to make room for the much larger new shocks.

@SNIPE

2 hours ago, astyanax said:

The bare mechanism is shown below.

The other thing worth mentioning is that when the ride height is in its lowest (normal play state) the axles are rotated, lowering the bottom mounting position further down.

800x589.png

This means the bottom face of the springs bottom out against the pairs of +o liftarms, taking a bit of the stress away from the gears. The gears take more load in the higher position but since the car doesn't spend much time in that position you can get away with it.

13 hours ago, astyanax said:

The bare mechanism is shown below. The 'trick' is just LOTS of bracing. Surely there's a lot of pressure on the teeth of the 8T gears, but they're with two of them, and neither me nor any of the test builders had issues with breaking them. :pir-sweet:

10 hours ago, langko said:

The other thing worth mentioning is that when the ride height is in its lowest (normal play state) the axles are rotated, lowering the bottom mounting position further down.

Thanks!

Edited by SNIPE

On 12/21/2022 at 1:05 AM, langko said:

"perhaps due to inexperience" but you managed to reverse engineer a 4000+ part model haha :grin: But trust me, over engineered is always better than it being flimsy. You can lift my original one from the roof as well. Plus we are not working for LEGO, so we don't have to sacrifice parts (and structural integrity) to keep the production costs down. 

Well I would judge that a lot of them are definitely improvements! The only thing I'm not to sure about is the headlights... I tried versions like that originally but was happy with anything I came up with. On the red model they look ok as they blend in with the surrounding area, but on the black I feel like they stick out too much and look oversized. The rest of the modifications though :drool: I love all the extra small details you have added everywhere! Those pedal are probably my favourite, very clever use of parts. The clamshell limiters are great too, I didn't even know those parts existed...

Hi there! Awesome build by the way and I would like to build it as well (organizing the parts ordering rn) I agree to what you said about the headlights, could you provide a lil bit of detail on how you did the headlights with the 1x1 round tiles? I checked the photo gallery but still don’t quite get it

1 hour ago, EdwinSiu10 said:

Hi there! Awesome build by the way and I would like to build it as well (organizing the parts ordering rn) I agree to what you said about the headlights, could you provide a lil bit of detail on how you did the headlights with the 1x1 round tiles? I checked the photo gallery but still don’t quite get it

Hello, glad you like build! If you purchase the instructions it’ll come with 2 different pdfs. 1 for the red version and 1 for the black. The red version shows how to do the version with the bionicle teeth and the black version shows how to do the version with the 1x1 round tiles. There are also slightly different variations for the rear taillights between the red/black version. You can mix and match depending on what you like best.

28 minutes ago, langko said:

Hello, glad you like build! If you purchase the instructions it’ll come with 2 different pdfs. 1 for the red version and 1 for the black. The red version shows how to do the version with the bionicle teeth and the black version shows how to do the version with the 1x1 round tiles. There are also slightly different variations for the rear taillights between the red/black version. You can mix and match depending on what you like best.

Yep im purchasing the instructions after I finish organizing the parts ordering. A question I have is, (it’s on astyanax’s rebrickable post so idk if you’re a part of it) there’s some blue parts in the part list, are they only for the seats/interior? Or are some of them used in the exterior (wing/sides etc)? I kinda wanna keep the outside black and the inside can be blue. Final question is which site did u order your parts? Thanks again

2 hours ago, EdwinSiu10 said:

Yep im purchasing the instructions after I finish organizing the parts ordering. A question I have is, (it’s on astyanax’s rebrickable post so idk if you’re a part of it) there’s some blue parts in the part list, are they only for the seats/interior? Or are some of them used in the exterior (wing/sides etc)? I kinda wanna keep the outside black and the inside can be blue. Final question is which site did u order your parts? Thanks again

The default list on the rebrickable is for the red version. Then in the description there is a parts list linked for the black and blue version. That past list is for the version in this gallery: https://bricksafe.com/pages/langko/pagani-huayra-v2

My default for ordering loose parts is bricklink followed by ordering direct through LEGO with there pick a brick service. Sometimes, when it is more efficient cost wise, I buy a set as a part discount. For example I bought a Batmobile (set 42127) when it was a sale to use the parts for the black version of the Pagani. 

18 hours ago, langko said:

The default list on the rebrickable is for the red version. Then in the description there is a parts list linked for the black and blue version. That past list is for the version in this gallery: https://bricksafe.com/pages/langko/pagani-huayra-v2

My default for ordering loose parts is bricklink followed by ordering direct through LEGO with there pick a brick service. Sometimes, when it is more efficient cost wise, I buy a set as a part discount. For example I bought a Batmobile (set 42127) when it was a sale to use the parts for the black version of the Pagani. 

I asked axtyanax about th blue part thing and it’s only the seats which is what I wanted. 

For the parts, which parts did you do on pick a brick? (I have no idea what parts are new or old) could you send a list (or would it be too complicated for you if so then maybe don’t)

also wanna know around how much did the pick a brick, and bricklink orders cost respectively (excluding the batmobile) it could help a lot with orders (if your not comfortable with sharing these it’s still fine)

11 minutes ago, EdwinSiu10 said:

For the parts, which parts did you do on pick a brick? (I have no idea what parts are new or old) could you send a list (or would it be too complicated for you if so then maybe don’t)

also wanna know around how much did the pick a brick, and bricklink orders cost respectively (excluding the batmobile) it could help a lot with orders (if your not comfortable with sharing these it’s still fine)

It’s way too hard to say exactly what I got from where. Everywhere now and then I will do a bulk order from LEGO to stock up on certain things (eg: frames tend to be a fair bit cheaper compared to bricklink, especially when buying lots of them. Panels are the same price regardless of colour, so certain panels can be a lot cheaper than bricklink). I had quite a lot of loose parts in my inventory already… plus the model has been built/designed over the course of 2.5 years so the cost of buying things has been spread out enormously compared to someone that would now want to collect all the parts in 1 go. Bricklink prices are going to be different depending where you live etc… as well. 

29 minutes ago, langko said:

It’s way too hard to say exactly what I got from where. Everywhere now and then I will do a bulk order from LEGO to stock up on certain things (eg: frames tend to be a fair bit cheaper compared to bricklink, especially when buying lots of them. Panels are the same price regardless of colour, so certain panels can be a lot cheaper than bricklink). I had quite a lot of loose parts in my inventory already… plus the model has been built/designed over the course of 2.5 years so the cost of buying things has been spread out enormously compared to someone that would now want to collect all the parts in 1 go. Bricklink prices are going to be different depending where you live etc… as well. 

Sure, I’ll go and check out pick a brick later today. Didn’t wanna bother you but once again I have a new question haha which is, would buying 2 Batmobiles help with the parts more or would one be enough (I could save the extra parts for future builds as well) 

41 minutes ago, EdwinSiu10 said:

would buying 2 Batmobiles help with the parts more or would one be enough (I could save the extra parts for future builds as well) 

According to rebrickable 1 Batmobile would provide 20% of the parts for the black version, 2 Batmobiles would provide 37% of the parts. Which isn’t bad if you can get the sets at a decent price - I’ve seen them for 30% discount regularly. 
Black is a common colour/useful for a lot of models so could be a good investment if you plan on making other models in the future as well.

Bugatti Bolide (set 42151) is also a great little parts pack that'll provide a good deal of new, small panel fairings used in the Huayra.

Even smaller Technic sets are not to be over looked. The small Technic 42132 Motorcycle, picked one up for NZD$14.00 - over 70% shared parts - 118 common parts from the motorcycle’s 163 parts. There is more than enough chain-links too, plus some spares - an expensive item to Bricklink, paying per chain-link. A good selection of axles, connectors and the two round tiles with hole for the dash.

And as I stated above I purchased a couple of 42153 Nascar Camaro sets, one set has 470 common parts. The Bugatti Bolide alone includes 26 x Pin Connector Hub 65487.

Progress is moving along - rear clam-shell mostly finished with some temporary place holders, waiting for the correct expensive red 11 x 3 Curved Panels. Plus a couple of small red curved panel 89679 coming from a local Bricklink seller who has parted out a Jazz Club Modular Building. 😂

Rear flaps are smooth in operation on the chassis. I just need those Shock Absorbers to arrive from across the Tasman.

800x600.jpeg

Edited by LegoHoops

5 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

Progress is moving along

Awesome to see!!

the correct expensive red 11 x 3 Curved Panels

Ah yes, I forgot how problematic those are... :pir-cry_happy: One might be able to get a second-hand Axalara T9 in the local online marketplace, that should get you settled. Has other funky parts too.

small red curved panel 89679

I suspect those will remain cheaper from LEGO's Pick a Brick for quite a while...

15 hours ago, langko said:

According to rebrickable 1 Batmobile would provide 20% of the parts for the black version, 2 Batmobiles would provide 37% of the parts. Which isn’t bad if you can get the sets at a decent price - I’ve seen them for 30% discount regularly. 
Black is a common colour/useful for a lot of models so could be a good investment if you plan on making other models in the future as well.

I’ve checked the prices, and I’ll do 2 batmobiles it’s cheaper that way. Is brickowl good for the rest of the parts? Or should I stick with bricklink (never used owl before but the prices look cheaper)

9 hours ago, astyanax said:

Bugatti Bolide (set 42151) is also a great little parts pack that'll provide a good deal of new, small panel fairings used in the Huayra.

It sure does sound good, but I kinda doubt the parts would cost that much alone idk, I’ll check it later. Asked you this question already and rebrickable but I’ll just ask it here as well, any other sets worth getting for ththe parts? (Best if they are small, cheap ones) 

1 hour ago, EdwinSiu10 said:

any other sets worth getting for ththe parts?

If you have your sets and lose parts in Rebrickable, click the "build this MOC" button and it'll tell you which parts you're missing, and which sets will give the most additional required parts.