Sign in to follow this  
cyberdyne systems

[MOC] SpaceX' Starship lifting Tower "Mechazilla" - Finished!

Happy New Year, everyone! Finally, I've finished building this monster. I will add nice and long article later in the next year. And now you may watch the video of the results of almost year of my work.

Well, I think the time has finally come to start creating the biggest thing I have ever built - "Mechazilla". Officially known as Orbital Launch Integration Tower (OLIT) located in SpaceX' StarBase in Boca-Chica. 

Boxes that I want to be checked:

-Tower should has as much functions of original one as possible. (Like QDA and Launch mount) 

-Functions are in higher priority than looks, but it nonetheless needs to resemble the real structure

-It has to be power by C+ Hubs and motors

-The most important - Tower has to be able to lift something Starship-ish (But i'm still no sure what exactly, may be I'll make something from Saturn V) 

For the beginning, I've made this prototype of a "chopstick" 

38166363.jpg

Edited by cyberdyne systems

The Mechazilla rises! Up and up.

IMG_20220217_235945

This first iteration with 15m beams on sides was a bit too much for the scale. Also I don't have so many of these beams. 

IMG_20220219_222939

So I rebuilt it with 13m beams. Thats better. SmartHub and motors for operating "Chopsticks" are mounted on a carriage inside the tower. That is why I need to have this slot for the whole heights of the tower

The building continues. I've made prototype for Quick Disconnect Arm

IMG_20220329_192811

And some very early prototype for the Orbital Launch Mount. 

IMG_20220419_203807

Edited by cyberdyne systems

It's coming along nicely, does the "chopstick" elevator work smoothly. I only ask because I built a similar mechanism before but I could never get it to work smoothly, it looked like a stop motion movie and was quite herky jerky when going up or down, too much binding, I believe. Anyway good luck.

Happy New Year, everyone! Finally, I've finished building this monster. I will add nice and long article later in the next year. And now you may watch the video of the results of almost year of my work.