Themiddlebrick

[moc] Boba Fett mosaic artwork

Hi, everyone,

I thought I would share my last LEGO mosaic titled "The Bounty Hunter". I debated between posting this here or in the Star Wars theme board, but since building mosaics is for a special kind of LEGO fan I decided to put it here Plus I will always try to spread love to the Mosaic or Art theme! Mods feel free to move if you feel otherwise!  

51896163945_2f1257d481_c_d.jpg 

The image is based on a great fan film about Boba Fett and features his pre-BoBF armor. What can I say I'm old school!

The mosaic itself uses the technic base "bricks" as the official art sets do, and similar frame construction. The image is built up over 3 layers of plates and tiles. I like to use the contrast of height, tile shape and plate textures to give additional depth and color/tone variation to the image. I like to think that this was particularly successful in this case as capturing some of the subtlety and detail would have been impossible at this scale. 

51896163890_79131e0bce_c_d.jpg       51896163900_11aff04b54_c_d.jpg

The mosaic is 66 studs wide by 34 high. The total part count is 2532 and I have tried to limit the rare parts as much as possible. Bricks and Pieces and used art sets on eBay were my great friends in amassing the parts for this one! Believe it or not, only a handful of pieces came from BL!

I hope you enjoy, please leave a comment if you do. And if not, I am always open to constructive feedback.

Thanks for looking!

2 hours ago, Themiddlebrick said:

*2nd picture*

I was almost about to think:

Star Wars - :sceptic:, Mosaic - :sceptic:, I don't care;

but when I saw the techniques you used with those "half green over black" stuff - I had to look again. Despite my ignorance about Star Wars I have to say that you created a very cool piece of art.

11 minutes ago, The01 said:

I was almost about to think:

Star Wars - :sceptic:, Mosaic - :sceptic:, I don't care;

but when I saw the techniques you used with those "half green over black" stuff - I had to look again. Despite my ignorance about Star Wars I have to say that you created a very cool piece of art.

Thanks very much! And don't worry, I will be branching out into other topics as well! Really, I think of these more as two-dimensional constructions than mosaics, but because they do borrow some construction and display techniques from the official sets I think it is easier for people to relate to them as mosaics. In reality they probably fall somewhere in-between!

Edited by Themiddlebrick
clarity

Wow, using the studs to create a darked shadow black in the cheek area worked surprisingly well! 

A really nice piece of work I have to admit, even thoughI think the LEGO mosaics are boring in general

On 2/22/2022 at 4:19 AM, Gray Gear said:

Wow, using the studs to create a darked shadow black in the cheek area worked surprisingly well! 

A really nice piece of work I have to admit, even thoughI think the LEGO mosaics are boring in general

22 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

This absolutely incredible! The layering works so well, I think this is a technique LEGO should use.

6 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

I love the layering of the painting! Really excellent piece!

Thank you for the great feedback! I really think LEGO missed the boat a bit with their mosaics, I think most fans of regular sets would appreciate and enjoy something with a bit more construction. But having created instructions for these I can understand why they would impose the limitations they do. Its a shame though because the layering and use of plates and tiles together really allows for more variation in the image. I also think it gives more life to the final piece. Its a bit hard to see in photos but the way the light plays off the surface adds another element to the mosaic which is emphasized by the relief.

Remarkable, really interesting ! Usually I don't like the lego set with 1x1 artworks. But here, I like the process and create reliefs for a better artwork. 

Edited by Kwear

26 minutes ago, StarBrick said:

Amazing how that layering works out.

Would love to recreate this beauty myself!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! You can find instructions on Rebrickable if you are interested Bounty Hunter Mosaic moc on rebrickable

I hope some choose to build it, I spent a long time on the instructions trying to make them as easy to use as possible!

Edited by Themiddlebrick
typo

5 minutes ago, Themiddlebrick said:

Thank you, I'm glad you like it! You can find instructions on Rebrickable if you are interested Old Friends Mosaic moc on rebrickable

I hope some choose to build it, I spent a long time on the instructions trying to make them as easy to use as possible!

Thanks, purchased !! Collecting time ;-)!!!

1 hour ago, StarBrick said:

Thanks, purchased !! Collecting time ;-)!!!

Thank you so much! If you have any feedback or suggestions of the build process please let me know.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:24 PM, Kwear said:

I suggest you to present your moc on the french forum specialized on Star Wars and Technic lego. www.techlug.fr

Thanks, if my French was a bit better I would consider it!

On 2/25/2022 at 6:14 PM, Turbodog1 said:

Awesome!

Thanks for the comment!

2 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

This mosaic really caught my eye! Bought the instructions, so this will be the first Lego mosaic I've ever done. Beautiful work on this!

Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the build, my advice is to take it slow and work on it when you have some time to relax (some music or a podcast and a beverage of choice makes a nice addition as well)!

I finished the mosaic a couple of days ago. The finished piece is quite striking in person! The layered coloring really adds to the detail of the picture. I have built a lot of MOCs - mainly Star Wars related - and this the first one my wife has been really excited about. As soon as it was finished, she wanted to find a place to hang it up. This has been enough of an inspiration that I would like to start making my own mosaics.  Middlebrick if you're willing, I would be grateful for some pointers on how to get started on creating works of art like yours.

12 hours ago, sandtrooper said:

I finished the mosaic a couple of days ago. The finished piece is quite striking in person! The layered coloring really adds to the detail of the picture. I have built a lot of MOCs - mainly Star Wars related - and this the first one my wife has been really excited about. As soon as it was finished, she wanted to find a place to hang it up. This has been enough of an inspiration that I would like to start making my own mosaics.  Middlebrick if you're willing, I would be grateful for some pointers on how to get started on creating works of art like yours.

Thanks so much! I’m really happy that you enjoyed it so much! I saw your post on instagram thank you for sharing. As far as advice. I would recommend starting small with a simple image. Selecting the right source material is crucial, not just anything will translate well into the LEGO pallette/ mosaic style. Some editing will likely be necessary. Once I have the image I use the mosaic function in Studio as a starting point- kind of like a sketch to get the basic shapes laid out into the correct proportion plates or tiles. Then it just takes time and trial and error to get to the final product. Building IRL is the final step this is when I can really tell where they layering and mix of tiles and plates is effective or not. 
Once you go through this process a couple of times it gets easier to anticipate what will work and cuts down on some of the trial and error. 
I’d love to see what you come up with!