NathanR

[MOC] [WIP] The Ghost

Another week gone and I am on a roll! The entire back end of the ship has gone together quite beautifully.

800x600.jpg

The aft plates on the top of the ship are supposed to twist slightly along their entire length, but I don't really have the vertical space (or the patience) to split the panel and try and rotate half of it on a pin. The sand blue triangular wedges make a good approximation. 

I also managed to find a way to angle the triangular plates so that the ship looks a little fatter. Unfortunately, this means I now need to redesign the hull plates above and below the airlocks, so there can be a ridge where the airlock meets the rest of the ship. The dark grey 2x6 tiles are currently raised up, the rest of the plate will likely be raised to match, so it becomes completely smooth. I'm not so happy with this, as the raised 2x6 tiles adds good texturing, but if I raise them an extra plate then there's a nasty part collision, and I'm not sure the wiggle room in the frictionless mounting pins will be enough to allow it.

800x600.jpg

The back adds a few little greebles, and I managed to get the white border around the back plate. As a bonus, the border incorporates a 1x2 plate with rail, that acts as a support stop the aft underside hull plates from falling. Hopefully. The connection is a bit tight, but it should work - it relies on a clip with bar being slotted part way into a 1x1 technic brick with axle hole.

I'm now starting to have to make a few design compromises to balance the accuracy of a UCS model against the features of a minifigure playset. The two upper engines should be a lot bigger, and a little closer together, but I need to accommodate the Phantom which (at minifigure scale) is about twice and big as it should be to match the rest of the Ghost. It would be surprisingly easy to convert this into a nanofigure-scale UCS set!

Thought I was a bit overdue for giving another update - she's very nearly finished.  The forward section of the roof was quite a challenge and in the end I just reverse-engineered @TGBDZ's MOC of the Ghost (I hope he won't mind - I could think of no better way to build this bit!). It's not quite in-system, and just rests on the forward hull plates with the glass canopy holding it in place. The rear roof was a lot easier, and I was able to build in the same central turret from the original Lego model - Zeb will be able to fit inside :grin: 

800x600.jpg

One interesting quirk - to build the ridge around the upper gunnery turret, I'm relying on some white 3x3 round corner tiles. These don't existing white yet, but will be available on 1st of May, when they appear in the Horizon Forbidden West Tallneck. Something to look forward to...

On 4/1/2022 at 4:00 PM, NathanR said:

Thought I was a bit overdue for giving another update - she's very nearly finished.  The forward section of the roof was quite a challenge and in the end I just reverse-engineered @TGBDZ's MOC of the Ghost (I hope he won't mind - I could think of no better way to build this bit!). It's not quite in-system, and just rests on the forward hull plates with the glass canopy holding it in place. The rear roof was a lot easier, and I was able to build in the same central turret from the original Lego model - Zeb will be able to fit inside :grin: 

800x600.jpg

One interesting quirk - to build the ridge around the upper gunnery turret, I'm relying on some white 3x3 round corner tiles. These don't existing white yet, but will be available on 1st of May, when they appear in the Horizon Forbidden West Tallneck. Something to look forward to...

Karabast, that is gorgeous! This is the best System-scale Ghost I've seen yet, I'd love to have something as good looking as this in my collection.