Ropefish

Tentative Layout Plans

Man building with R104 with a small room in mind is tough, But i now have a small personal layout planned with some possible larger scale plans.... I've included most of what I'd want thought I'm not all to good at just coming up with something from nothing resulting in the main line being just kinda plain on my "preferred final setup" but the entire thing is built with expand-ability in mind ( just not my wallet. )

This is what i call the "starter loop" it was a tad more complex before but those switches do put a dent in cost! Simply includes a basic loop main line, very simple rail yard that connects to a engine shed ( The two large tan 'blocks'), RIP/Service track ( Shorter tan 'block' though the RIP/Service tracks should be separate but this saves space), and a very out of place classification line
d0902a1e0320c26aa10627f70b10a5bf.png

This is a more fleshed out version of the starter, it now includes defined classification tracks, Arrival/Departure track and a yard lead making the layout actually function as a rail yard, albeit a simple one. This is my main goal as a display piece I can easily tear down and set up.
4f91bd461dcd519d35c3b4cc4feb4ef1.png

This final version is sort of a large goal post I might not reach due to price in switches alone... There are now two arrival and departure tracks, The classification tracks are now separated via a thoroughfare with classification track #4 being connected on its end allowing cars to be pulled into the industry line ( it kinda just goes off on one end as i haven't really decided what ill do with it but i know ill have coal and flatcars so something with that ) the thoroughfare also now connects to the RIP/Service Line with an offshoot for Caboose track and some form of locomotive storage ( preferably I'd have a turntable there, with a larger shed of some sort. ) This Railyard layout would leave me enough room to run at least two to three trains and the switcher while also lending the ability to expand the classification lines and arrival/departure lines. However I realistically have now real space to put this anywhere and would need to relegate this to some form of club if i was close to one ;p
26d0afb3cb5711e9ff3eb19874eda345.png

Edited by Ropefish

Bit of an update on my "Final Stage" build, its been vastly improved and if I ever get the time, money and resources it will be a long term layout project and hopefully one Ill bring to a convention at some point. Its primary goal is to show off rail-yard operations and can support Two locomotives running ( though ill need to set up some automation on the passing loop and for the arrival/departure lines, otherwise a second locomotive will just sit there in the passing loop) 
537e014132c6e12a59924af7098ef7f9.png

Looking good!  Out of interest what % of the track have you actually got right now for each layout?  Also - on such a large layout as the final one, would it not be an advantage at that scale to have two individual loops?

This is my sort of dream layout which I'll never have the space for.  I wish you the best of luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos as it grows!

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Looking good!  Out of interest what % of the track have you actually got right now for each layout?  Also - on such a large layout as the final one, would it not be an advantage at that scale to have two individual loops?

This is my sort of dream layout which I'll never have the space for.  I wish you the best of luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos as it grows!

So far just some pieces of single straight track hahah. The final is like 500+ something USD roughly so thats a long term goal for sure. On the loop this is mostly intended to just be showing off a railyard but its left open ended to expand if i need/want to. Its more based off realistic layouts in which there would only be a single main line, But i got some ideas on making it more "Show-y" eventually ( especially if i ever get the chance to go to a convention or work on a layout with a club ). The best part is being lego its very easy to disassemble and make entirely new layouts with to. This to is my dream layout and i don't know if ill get there or not but thats why i've split it into stages so maybe one day here.

Edit: Oh i do already have the train shed but its technically not official , from the guys in Germany who are blue and like bricks.

Edited by Ropefish

You've packed a lot of activity into the last version (but the completionist in me wants the outer loop on the left to continue and switch back in, grin). I assume you are taking the long term view to this layout though and starting with something more modest that can grow. Perhaps a smaller simple loop with the curves you need in the final layout. That also gives you time to adapt if your interests change (e.g., you change your mind and want to build a union depot). I know my first permanent layout kept changing as I built more and more trains until I got to the point where I couldn't put everything on the layout. Oh, that's a useful point, if you build this on a board, you can use standard boxes or containers underneath for support and storage at the same time.

Hi @zephyr1934,

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

(but the completionist in me wants the outer loop on the left to continue and switch back in, grin).

It's no loop, but the turnout track I assume. And therefore it should not have any connection to the other loop.

It can be reached from all shunting tracks in the lower section and is absolutely required.

I'm very happy with that idea.

8 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

You've packed a lot of activity into the last version (but the completionist in me wants the outer loop on the left to continue and switch back in, grin). I assume you are taking the long term view to this layout though and starting with something more modest that can grow. Perhaps a smaller simple loop with the curves you need in the final layout. That also gives you time to adapt if your interests change (e.g., you change your mind and want to build a union depot). I know my first permanent layout kept changing as I built more and more trains until I got to the point where I couldn't put everything on the layout. Oh, that's a useful point, if you build this on a board, you can use standard boxes or containers underneath for support and storage at the same time.

Oh yea this is very much built with expansion in mind, I actually have a mock up of an extended "Event" setup here and it includes better double tracks
5de4b2fdab86d0000c33efa4d597be15.png

I used to build really small G scale layouts with my grandad, We didn't have much but it was fun these layouts are based around stuff we thought up and is actually why i have the BB Trainshed, its one of the few buildings we had on the floor layout we would set up but of course not Lego ( styren and balsa wood ), it also is very European in design but i love it all the same. Also that turn table needs to run on R56 curves to make the table length seven track segments long or the AC-9 won't fit! that will be a project for very different day though...

7 hours ago, Lok24 said:

Hi @zephyr1934,

It's no loop, but the turnout track I assume. And therefore it should not have any connection to the other loop.

It can be reached from all shunting tracks in the lower section and is absolutely required.

I'm very happy with that idea.

This is correct! its a shunting/Lead track for the switcher/shunter. this design allows me to better compact that layout otherwise that line gets /very long/ if need be i might have it loop down and around the turntable area if i ever do really long trains. Of course i made the arrival/departure lines close the classification lines in order to expand them length wise if need be.

Quick Edit: Forgot to add the important caboose track to this layout! how could i forget? its being left out of the "Stage 2" for now, also now with labels.
7b543328b52d27eb273995331aa41d7f.png

Edited by Ropefish

Though I realise this last layout is a very long way off, I'd add an extra connection between the extra outer loops and the yard loop.  Either way, this is truly amazing!  as you say you have basically nothing right now, you could go either way - 9v with new Fx Track or plastic?  Having used model railways elsewhere I know DCC, which is Michael's long term aim, is an amazing system far superior to batteries, and with a layout this size I'm guessing you'd need about 100 batteries.

58 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

, I'd add an extra connection between the extra outer loops and the yard loop.

The "yard loop" is only for shunting purposes, so it has to be separeted (signals, allowed speed, rules for driving are quite different), you cannot use a  a shunting track for "normal trains" (here in Germany)
These sections are usualley separeted, so that shunting does not affect paasenger trains.

1 hour ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Having used model railways elsewhere I know DCC, which is Michael's long term aim, is an amazing system far superior to batteries, and with a layout this size I'm guessing you'd need about 100 batteries.

It is very useful if you motorize the switches. For the locos and/or automation you need metallic tracks and modify all(!) locos on the layout.

4 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Though I realise this last layout is a very long way off, I'd add an extra connection between the extra outer loops and the yard loop.  Either way, this is truly amazing!  as you say you have basically nothing right now, you could go either way - 9v with new Fx Track or plastic?  Having used model railways elsewhere I know DCC, which is Michael's long term aim, is an amazing system far superior to batteries, and with a layout this size I'm guessing you'd need about 100 batteries.

I do think I might end up running one of the outer loops with the Fx Track. Doing the whole layout in powered track like that would take a much longer time! but starting small is always the plan. Not to mention if i can even get my hands on them they sell like hot cakes haha! One of the bigger problems to is modifying a Steam Locomotives to run off the them as its hard to fit in the 9v truck.... Either i'd have to wait for special truck pickups for them ala what Lionel does or make some custom stuff. It'd actually be neat if someone made a third rail track like O scale that you could just put on regular plastic track to. But im sure there are a number of DIY solutions. Currently my plan for steam locomotives is to just run LiPo wich solves some problems.... Ive seen a few solutions using pickups and the lipo i might have to look into later down the line as it'd be neat to allow a locomotive to run on either track type but that'd take a lot of work.

3 hours ago, Lok24 said:

The "yard loop" is only for shunting purposes, so it has to be separeted (signals, allowed speed, rules for driving are quite different), you cannot use a  a shunting track for "normal trains" (here in Germany)
These sections are usualley separeted, so that shunting does not affect paasenger trains.

It is very useful if you motorize the switches. For the locos and/or automation you need metallic tracks and modify all(!) locos on the layout.

More or less this, when the layout gets to this final "event" size the orignal loop around the yard will be for yard operations, being a main line that just connects to the Arrival/Departure track.... One of the long term goals is defo to motorize and automate but it seems that will be a little ways away seeing events that took place with 4Dbrix ( Some really cool software based off the other scale model railroad layouts ). I know their models/software is DIY but ive never been to good with Arduino stuff, I suppose there is always time to learn specifically if ill have to make special pickups.

Edited by Ropefish

Yeah, I know it is a turnout track and I totally appreciate the fun of doing realistic switching. It is just that with the double loop (and possibly the widest radius curve on the layout) by the time the turnout track is going horizontal it looks more like it is a mainline track.

Before you get to the fully realized layout you could also do a linear, open loop, switching layout

4 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Yeah, I know it is a turnout track and I totally appreciate the fun of doing realistic switching. It is just that with the double loop (and possibly the widest radius curve on the layout) by the time the turnout track is going horizontal it looks more like it is a mainline track. 

Before you get to the fully realized layout you could also do a linear, open loop, switching layout

Yea i think i might end up doing something like that, at least when i get around to stage 2, once i have most of the switches for stage 1 there is enough extra track ( A and B curves from brick tracks ) to make extra turns to.