Marinho

[MOC] Shipping Container Train Powered Car

Hi all,

This MOC was design in order to have a "dummy" train powered car, so I can use with multiple trains. This way can just design new unpowered trains, and use this car top push them, saving some money on train motors and battery boxes.
This MOC contains 2 Powered UP train motors, but it can be used with only one, or you can just use other type of motor, you just need to buy the parts and adapt.
The shipping containers can be easily removed to have access to the battery, and you can turn on the hub with a button built on the containers. You can also see if the hub is on, on the top of the containers.

I also did some instructions, that are available on rebrickable.

Hope you guys like it!

51649402321_4ff3e836ed_c.jpgJPEG image by Pedro Marinho, no Flickr

51650066079_e183cc1234_c.jpgJPEG image 4 by Pedro Marinho, no Flickr

51650066044_86c55ae5e3_c.jpgJPEG image 3 by Pedro Marinho, no Flickr

51650259705_1bd93bae5b_c.jpgJPEG image 2 by Pedro Marinho, no Flickr

What can't intermodal shipping containers do? I like your solution for placing a complete PUP system in a car to power any number of freight trains.

Thank you both! I would like to add more detail, but I still lack the experience on it. I also tried to made it very "simple" and sturdy, because the aim of this is to play with my 3 year old daughter, so it will need to handle some abuse... :blush:

Before reading the thread I was going to say nice work and well played, but...

1 hour ago, Marinho said:

I also tried to made it very "simple" and sturdy, because the aim of this is to play with my 3 year old daughter, so it will need to handle some abuse...

that elevates it further. Without knowing that it was built to be kid tough it is a great solution, making it 3 yr old resistant (can never be 3 yr old proof) is just icing on the cake.

2 hours ago, Marinho said:

I also tried to made it very "simple" and sturdy, because the aim of this is to play with my 3 year old daughter, so it will need to handle some abuse... :blush:

Funny, I'm in the proces of getting my 3 year old son into LEGO trains. He's already a huge train fan and I just converted my old 7745 12v train to RC (yes, with the much hated RC baseplate). I choose the 7745 because I didn't want to buy him a new train (he needs to learn and appreciated 'used' stuff) and because it's a very sturdy train with opening doors.

I never understood why so many parents/AFOLs complained about trains w/o doors, but seeing how my son enjoys 'cramming' minifigs inside the wagons trough the doors made me understand what 'play-factor' is al about. 

Keep us posted when you have new creations to make lego trains even more child friendly, this on already looks very good.