Sign in to follow this  
Hrafn

Hrafn's small builds

Every so often I put together a proof of concept or small creation that doesn't need its own topic; this is a place for such things.

First off, a proof of concept for a brake/neutral/drive gearbox.  Input is via the green axle connector.  With the 20z gear selected, the differential has half the angular velocity of the input, so the output is braked and the motor is not strained by the braking. 

20210913_143819.jpg

Off the top of my head I could only come up with the 14z/28z mesh to get the brake to work properly - is there another gear combo (using any of the differential housings) that works?

This thing is way too large to use in my current project but let me know if it is useful to you.

15 hours ago, pleegwat said:

28z/12z should mesh here, given that 20z/20z meshes on the same axle pair (sum of teeth count is the same)

It does, but 12:28 does not give the right ratio of 1/2.  14z meshes with double bevel gears as if it were 12z, but gives the right ratio, which is why this works.  14z gears are kind of a pain to use and somewhat fragile (not to mention long out of production) so I don't really like using them, though.

12:12 and 8:16 (using the 16z side of the old 4L differential) would work but the 12z gears aren't clutch gears.  There may be another solution using chains.

Edited by Hrafn

Here is another way to do it that should be more robust.  In Drive gear, the output turns in the opposite direction to the motor input.

1280x960.jpg

Or a long skinny variant

20210914_120533.jpg

Edited by Hrafn

The variants with RC heavy duty differential should work even for relativelly big and heavy models. 

Here is another use of the 4L differential: an automatic R-N-D gearbox.  The yellow connector blocks the differential from rotating, so the output is the same speed (but opposite rotation direction) as the input.  When there is no input, the output can spin freely.

800x600.jpg

The yellow axle joiner is the input, the red is the output.  The clutch gear does result in a non-trivial amount of wasted energy in D and R gears.  And R is not geared down from D, unlike in my previous prototype below; but this design is much more compact.

Interesting.

Just not shure, if it would be better in some way than standard. Distance from steering axle to wheel may be shorter, it seems?

And I think, that steering lever can be made shorter, if some other parts are used.

Would look like this. Main issue, that this won't be rigid. It should rely on some bracing between suspension arms

640x670.png

5 hours ago, Jurss said:

Interesting.

Just not shure, if it would be better in some way than standard. Distance from steering axle to wheel may be shorter, it seems?

Yes, my goal was to get the pivot point as close to the wheel as possible.  This design might be a dead end for my current project since there are other designs that will probably work better, but I wanted to share it in case it was of use to anyone else.

Your design is nice and compact, though you are probably right about its rigidity.

Edited by Hrafn