zumaidi

Switch to change from motor to manual

The switches to change from motorized to manual control on my Flight Simulator.
800x450.PNG

800x450.PNG

I added this feature so that ones can still play when run out of batteries.

In addition, sometimes ones need the motors for other MOCs. :-)

Hopefully I can get your support.

Thank you very much.

Is there a reason you did it this way instead of putting in a changeover catch?  I can't quite tell how all the gears are meshing but won't this tend to disengage on its own when the motor is on?

8 hours ago, Hrafn said:

Is there a reason you did it this way instead of putting in a changeover catch?  I can't quite tell how all the gears are meshing but won't this tend to disengage on its own when the motor is on?

Thank you. I don't think I have enough and required parts to make changeover catch. I will study on it more. 

So far, based on more than 3 hours playing with it, it worked fine and no disengage. I believe this is because the force is not hard because the motor just need to rotate the actuator. 

7 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

You should also add this to the topic about the original mechanism rather than creating a new topic for it.

Thank you. I made a new topic because I believe the same kind of switches can be applied on any other builds, not necessarily specific for my Flight Simulator. 

Nice solution.

Did you know that a differential can do this too? it allows a manual dial on one axle and a motor on another axle to drive some function, but the dial does not move the motor and the motor does not move the dial.

The L axle in the diff is input 1, R axle is output and then the axle driving the differentials case is input 2.

The lambo paddle shifter works in the same way too, but it does not use a differential. you can move the two knob wheels that are on a 3L axle and it will change gear but the paddles will remain stationary.

11 hours ago, SNIPE said:

Nice solution.

Did you know that a differential can do this too? it allows a manual dial on one axle and a motor on another axle to drive some function, but the dial does not move the motor and the motor does not move the dial.

The L axle in the diff is input 1, R axle is output and then the axle driving the differentials case is input 2.

The lambo paddle shifter works in the same way too, but it does not use a differential. you can move the two knob wheels that are on a 3L axle and it will change gear but the paddles will remain stationary.

Thank you for the explanation. I did not know that.

Although it looks too technical for me, I will study this further. 

May be there are some videos on YouTube. 

Thanks again. 

13 hours ago, SNIPE said:

That's not quite that simple. The motor has an internal brake and does not backdrive easily, but you do need to take measures to prevent the motor from back-driving the manual input.

32 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

That's not quite that simple. The motor has an internal brake and does not backdrive easily, but you do need to take measures to prevent the motor from back-driving the manual input.

huh